X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    It's a sort of digital download Volume 1 of the mega-Abbado box being released by Universal next Friday. It has been split into 16 parts, starting with the Bach and Bartók last week and proceeding to Beethoven symphonies this week. See https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/e...and-decca-2369 for further info
    I've already 'pre-ordered' my big Abbado box. Amazon had it for £616.15 for a very short while this week and I snapped it up. It's currently at £623.72 and it will be interesting to see what it will be on release day. Fingers crossed because I've twice had problems with 'pre-ordered' boxes from Amazon in the past.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Ah: that makes a bit more sense.
      Buy a part a week, rather like those educational magazines I used to get each Friday from the newsagent!
      Other magazines were available. You got a part of a plastic dinosaur , or the Star Ship Enterprise or something to build.

First episode v cheap, impossible to cancel the subscription though.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I've already 'pre-ordered' my big Abbado box. Amazon had it for £616.15 for a very short while this week and I snapped it up. It's currently at £623.72 and it will be interesting to see what it will be on release day. Fingers crossed because I've twice had problems with 'pre-ordered' boxes from Amazon in the past.
        Won’t that leave you with rather a lot of Abbado spares, Pet?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          It's a sort of digital download Volume 1 of the mega-Abbado box being released by Universal next Friday. It has been split into 16 parts, starting with the Bach and Bartók last week and proceeding to Beethoven symphonies this week. See https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/e...and-decca-2369 for further info
          Also to be found on QOBUZ. I just happen to already have all the recordings in that release on CD. I'll look out for any further tranches, however.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Won’t that leave you with rather a lot of Abbado spares, Pet?
            Unfortunately, yes it will, but there is a surprising number that I don't have at all and at the given price of around £2.24 per CD plus DVDs I don't have, I consider it makes a worthwhile purchase.

On the other hand, most normal folk will think I've taken leave of my senses!

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Unfortunately, yes it will, but there is a surprising number that I don't have at all and at the given price of around £2.24 per CD plus DVDs I don't have, I consider it makes a worthwhile purchase.

On the other hand, most normal folk will think I've taken leave of my senses!
              You do like a box Pet and the bigger the better! I listen more to new single disc purchases, generally new releases, so doubt I will get the Abbado set. The Haitink on the other hand will be a thing of beauty :-) Really hope it isn’t later than March 10 as you noted recently.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                You do like a box Pet and the bigger the better! I listen more to new single disc purchases, generally new releases, so doubt I will get the Abbado set. The Haitink on the other hand will be a thing of beauty :-) Really hope it isn’t later than March 10 as you noted recently.
                Re the Haitink set. All outlets I've checked are now agreed on March 10 so...

I've never known so many postponements of a release date before (eight, I think) and it's been incredibly frustrating. Presto had the best price I could find and a small voucher decreased it a bit more. I ordered it in October and Presto took the money then so when it finally arrives it will feel like I've had it for nothing.

With the Abbado set coming out so closely I'm rather glad that Presto did take the money as it helps the cash flow.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Bach model Dieupart completely redefined.

Bob van Asperen dispels false facts in Dieupart's biography and does away with inadequate editions of music.

After intensive research, he presents for the first time sensational evidence about the life of Dieupart, who did not die impoverished in London as previously assumed, but rather enjoyed a peaceful retirement in France. Even more important are the insights about the genesis of the original scores and the conclusions Bob van Asperen draws from them with regard to a proper performance of the works.

J.S. Bach was obviously an admirer, quoted an exceptional amount from the suites in a number of his own works, and wrote out copies of them himself unequivocal proof of the quality of this music, which can possibly now be heard for the first time on a recording as it was originally conceived.

Also to be heard, in addition to the well-known cycle of six suites, are two newly discovered works. In the very extensive booklet text, the world-famous harpsichordist himself elucidates the biography and work of the important Frenchman.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Looks lovely... sounds even better...
                    "Le Carnival des Animaux en Péril" (2022) by Vincent Bouchot, is the final work on a fascinating and beautiful (mainly baroque) program...

Le Concert des Oiseaux. Vincent Bouchot: Le Carnaval des animaux en péril

La Rêveuse, Florence Bolton, Benjamin Perrot

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Bach model Dieupart completely redefined.

Bob van Asperen dispels false facts in Dieupart's biography and does away with inadequate editions of music.

After intensive research, he presents for the first time sensational evidence about the life of Dieupart, who did not die impoverished in London as previously assumed, but rather enjoyed a peaceful retirement in France. Even more important are the insights about the genesis of the original scores and the conclusions Bob van Asperen draws from them with regard to a proper performance of the works.

J.S. Bach was obviously an admirer, quoted an exceptional amount from the suites in a number of his own works, and wrote out copies of them himself unequivocal proof of the quality of this music, which can possibly now be heard for the first time on a recording as it was originally conceived.

Also to be heard, in addition to the well-known cycle of six suites, are two newly discovered works. In the very extensive booklet text, the world-famous harpsichordist himself elucidates the biography and work of the important Frenchman.
                      This looks very enticing - haven't got round to acquiring the other discs of Louis Couperin that Van Asperen recorded for Aeolus. I know that he used some fine instruments for that series.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        This looks very enticing
                        The music is rather good I think.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Somewhat pricey for a box of its size but this looks very tempting to me: https://towerrecords.com/products/ro...n?currency=GBP

I think I will wait and see how the price varies as its UK release date gets closer. Craft did good service to the 2nd Viennese School.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Somewhat pricey for a box of its size but this looks very tempting to me: https://towerrecords.com/products/ro...n?currency=GBP

I think I will wait and see how the price varies as its UK release date gets closer. Craft did good service to the 2nd Viennese School.
                            Can this be true (from the blurb in the link)?

with 68 works appearing for the first time on CD

Do they mean recordings not works? Or is this just a Pedants' Paradise type semantic (US/UK?) nicety?
                            (I have always liked that 'The new Stravinsky' cover, since I had it as an LP; it is of course in the big Stravinsky box that you'll have.)

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

Rzewski: Late Piano Works, Bobby Mitchell

Conveniently buy, stream or download at Naxos anytime. Add 8.559928 from Naxos to your classical music collection today.

You can get a flavour of the music and the music making here

Rest in peace Frederic. You were the best mentor and friend.Bobby Mitchell, piano

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

The Abbado big box arrived this afternoon. It's an absolute monster of a box and weighs a ton. It's so heavy I can't lift it so it remains on the floor for now until I can get it on to a sufficiently strong table. I can't help but think I might have gone a bit far with this one

It's a strictly numbered limited edition and mine is 1875 of 2650.

Comment

Working...
                                X