X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    I streamed the Savall Schubert Symphonies on Qobuz a while back, and they are very exciting and immediate readings and recordings. Lots of punch and power in the 9th (great for lovers of timpani - wow, or maybe whoa!). Typically spacious sound balances (with prominent brasses !), as per his Mozart and Beethoven Symphonies. Rhythm and momentum - You can feel, almost hear, Savall urging the players onward...but considering each lyrical respite.

The 8th is exceptional: tense, ominous, dark and fiery - yet can sing sweetly too. I hope he does the complete 8th one day; I hope he does the complete cycle. I hope.....

I'm glad Threasher referenced the Michi Gaigg live cycle on CPO, a favourite of mine for the complete set and perhaps the most startlingly radical of all.

I bought the Ibragimova Telemann Fantasies on CD, and play it as aubade/nocturne in the bedroom (I often favour Baroque instrumental in this role).
    I found them somewhat austere, though apt to the late night, especially with my continuing health struggles.
    It's good to see you back here from time to time whenever you're up to it, jayne. My best wishes to you.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

One of the things I find about being a Qobuz user, now I’ve configured the homepage to show new classical releases, is that I’m now ahead of Record Review in being familiar with a lot of new releases. From the early part of today’s programme, I’ve already listened to (and actually dismissed as being largely trite and uninteresting music) the Saint-Saens Dance and Ballet music issue on Naxos… but have been repeatedly listening for a week or more to the superlative Poulenc release from BBCCO and the late Bramwell Tovey on Chandos - gorgeous record.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        One of the things I find about being a Qobuz user, now I’ve configured the homepage to show new classical releases, is that I’m now ahead of Record Review in being familiar with a lot of new releases. From the early part of today’s programme, I’ve already listened to (and actually dismissed as being largely trite and uninteresting music) the Saint-Saens Dance and Ballet music issue on Naxos… but have been repeatedly listening for a week or more to the superlative Poulenc release from BBCCO and the late Bramwell Tovey on Chandos - gorgeous record.

‘On repeat’ chez moi!

Just for once I feel the ‘label of the year’ is a most worthy accolade for Chandos whose Mail order service is also second to none.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post

‘On repeat’ chez moi!

Just for once I feel the ‘label of the year’ is a most worthy accolade for Chandos whose Mail order service is also second to none.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Another Rameau release - a seemingly more complete version of "Les Fêtes d'Hébé", one of my very favourite works. I will be getting it, even though I adore the Christie version.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              I couldn't find a convenient way of streaming Qobuz to my hifi system, which ruled it out as an option for me when I was choosing a streaming service. I know audiophiles deride Spotify but I get good sound out of it and find their Classical New Releases very useful and listen every week, (especially having now given up Gramophone after many decades of subscription). It has a new list every Friday and seems to constitute a very thorough overview - 53 items this week.

Comment

• RichardB
                Banned
                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                I couldn't find a convenient way of streaming Qobuz to my hifi system, which ruled it out as an option for me when I was choosing a streaming service. I know audiophiles deride Spotify but I get pretty good sound out of it
                But surely both would connect in exactly the same way to your hifi system...?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                  And with a QOB|UZ subscription, one can 'import' the stream to a copy-protected zone on your computer for later listening offline.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                    My tuner/streamer links to Spotify but not Qobuz. It also includes DAB, internet radio, music files on my phone, laptop and plugged-in USB stick. It all works very well and can be conveniently controlled via the UNDOK app on my phone.

My setup and techie knowhow are probably limited but if I want to play computer sound, eg YouTube, BBC Sounds etc, through my room speakers via hifi amp, rather than to mini-sized computer speakers or via Bluetooth headphones, I seem to have to use Chromecast which means using the telly and feeding the sound thence via a digital cable to my amp. It sounds good but is a bit fiddly.

Comment

• RichardB
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      My tuner/streamer links to Spotify but not Qobuz.
                      I see, well I wouldn't know about that, I stream everything via the laptop and its audio interface directly to the amplifier. Actually the main reason most people I know don't use Spotify is the low rates they pay to recording artists - Qobuz pays more than any other streaming service, and indeed more than ten times as much per stream than Spotify (4.39c per stream as opposed to 0.33c, according to the figures I have which are from 2018). Not that this affects me personally, since it's such a small proportion of my income, but there are people for whom it makes a significant difference.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Not sure if it has been mentioned already here, but there's a 45 disc box set of all of Roger Norrington's EMI recordings available for around ninety quid. Under the title of "The Erato recordings"...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Not sure if it has been mentioned already here, but there's a 45 disc box set of all of Roger Norrington's EMI recordings available for around ninety quid. Under the title of "The Erato recordings"...
                          Which were the EMI/Virgin LCP recordings - looks good value for those whom duplications are not a factor!

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Which were the EMI/Virgin LCP recordings - looks good value for those whom duplications are not a factor!
                            Indeed yes, didn't realise that he had so made so many discs with the LCP.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Indeed yes, didn't realise that he had so made so many discs with the LCP.
                              I think I already have nearly all of them in previous boxed sets and individual releases, so not one for me.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Don't overlook the SWR Boxes reissued since 2021, of Norrington's Bruckner, Haydn, Brahms and so on. Sonically state-of-the-art and musically fascinating, with especially good Bruckner Originals of 3 and 4, and a stunning set of the London Symphonies...

Often bought on release, I tend to return to these more than to the LCP Recordings now....
                                Wonderful Orchestra, and I guess the sound has more dynamic power and a gratifying tonal warmth; the readings a touch slower and (even) more thoughtful.

Comment

Working...
                                X