X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Khatchaturian: Works for Piano and Orchestra (Iyad Sughayer, BBCNOW, Andrew Litton) recorded in association with Radio 3. Not quite Perter Katin but the Piano Concerto does have a musical saw, rather than the usual flexatone, in the second movement.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Good transfer IMO - of the Debussy preludes - dynamic range and tone, you can hear when he goes bass up in the voicing of the chords. Lots of noise of course. But this is the one to go to I think, this is the transfer to use.

I actually think the performance of Bk 1 - this is the first recording he made of the music obvs, not the second - really does deserve its iconic status. Like, it’s well worth hearing many times, if you can tolerate the sound. In Bk 2, which is quite complicated music by comparison, I’m not so sure he really has the hang - but maybe I’m wrong.
      Last edited by Mandryka; 18-09-22, 13:09.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
        Using the EAN for the Haitink box (0028948527373), this is currently all there is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B78GKRQ7
        Amazon have changed the release date on that link to December 31 2023! Needless to say, I've cancelled the 'pre-order' I made. Decca Classics and Presto are still showing a release date of October 7 so goodness knows what Amazon are playing at. They've let me down twice before with boxed set new releases and I feel another one coming on.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• TBuckley

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Amazon have changed the release date on that link to December 31 2023! Needless to say, I've cancelled the 'pre-order' I made. Decca Classics and Presto are still showing a release date of October 7 so goodness knows what Amazon are playing at. They've let me down twice before with boxed set new releases and I feel another one coming on.
          I don't think the December 31 2023 date has any real meaning. Personally, I would leave the pre-order and wait and see what happens.

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

Good transfer IMO - of the Debussy preludes - dynamic range and tone, you can hear when he goes bass up in the voicing of the chords. Lots of noise of course. But this is the one to go to I think, this is the transfer to use.

I actually think the performance of Bk 1 - this is the first recording he made of the music obvs, not the second - really does deserve its iconic status. Like, it’s well worth hearing many times, if you can tolerate the sound. In Bk 2, which is quite complicated music by comparison, I’m not so sure he really has the hang - but maybe I’m wrong.
            Yes< thanks for the tip, I found this on Qobuz. Absorbing and illuminating.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Attention Ramellians! This is due to appear soon - a world première of 'Le Retour d'Astrée', which I didn't know existed. I already have an older recording of 'Les Sybarites' or 'Sybaris', but I'm eagerly looking forward to this new release.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                Attention Ramellians! This is due to appear soon - a world première of 'Le Retour d'Astrée', which I didn't know existed. I already have an older recording of 'Les Sybarites' or 'Sybaris', but I'm eagerly looking forward to this new release.

Fully available already in “Hi Res” sound on Qobuz!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• RichardB
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2021

I was just about to listen to Rameau this morning when I noticed an even more recent release on Qobuz, a new recording of Matthew Locke's Psyche, the first English opera, by Ensemble Correspondances. This was previously recorded by Philip Pickett et al in the 1990s and the new version is quite different in many ways. For example, the instrumental music for dances and entrances doesn't survive, although it's described in detail in the libretto and is known to have been written by Giovanni Battista Draghi. Pickett used arrangements of keyboard pieces by Draghi to fill the gaps, while Daucé uses ensemble music by Locke and Anon. The new recording uses as far as I can see no native English speakers among the singers, which I was a bit apprehensive about, but in fact it isn't a problem at all. I'm not sure about the inclusion of what for an enthusiast for 17th century music will be some familiar pieces in unfamiliar surroundings, but Locke's consort music is so attractive anyway that such doubts are swept aside. Also, it's something of a relief that it's no longer the case that the only available recording of this work is one directed by Pickett.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Fully available already in “Hi Res” sound on Qobuz!
                    Have you listened to it yet, Nick?

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I see that Alpha are soon due to release a third version of Rameau's "Zoroastre" - I already have the Kuijken and Christie sets, using the 1756 version, but this new one is based on the 1749 version. I wonder what the differences are? Despite its age, I still hold the Kuijken in high regard.

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        I see that Alpha are soon due to release a third version of Rameau's "Zoroastre" - I already have the Kuijken and Christie sets, using the 1756 version, but this new one is based on the 1749 version. I wonder what the differences are? Despite its age, I still hold the Kuijken in high regard.
                        I agree with you about Kuijken. As I understand it, the 1749 version was heavily revised for its revival in 1756 and only two of its five acts remained in more or less their original form, so plenty of new things to discover there.

The new release from Les Surprises is beautifully performed, especially by the instrumental ensemble. In accordance with the original performing conditions, the recording has a more intimate quality than is usual in Rameau's more extended stage works, so we hear the continuo harpsichord very clearly (not too dissimilarly to the sort of balance you'll remember from Harnoncourt's Castor et Pollux). The whole thing is delightful anyway.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Thank you for coming to the rescue, Richard! Interesting to hear that there are significant differences - I guess Alpha wouldn't have done it otherwise. I will of course have to put it on the shopping list.

Must have another listen to that Harnoncourt Castor et Pollux...when you think about it, it's amazing that he recorded the whole thing so early on. And you get Gérard Souzay, too!

Comment

• TBuckley

George Szell - Complete Columbia Album Collection (Sony)

Not a new release but a re-issue. This set seems to be widely available again after being OOP for quite a while. This is the first time i've seen this
                            happen with one of the 'big boxes'.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TBuckley View Post
                              George Szell - Complete Columbia Album Collection (Sony)

Not a new release but a re-issue. This set seems to be widely available again after being OOP for quite a while. This is the first time i've seen this
                              happen with one of the 'big boxes'.
                              Only 5 boxes are available, and from a marketplace vendor, not Amazon as such, who show it as out of stock with no hint of whether it will become available again.

Comment

• TBuckley

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Only 5 boxes are available, and from a marketplace vendor, not Amazon as such, who show it as out of stock with no hint of whether it will become available again.
                                I noticed it on Amazon yesterday when they had a couple of boxes available at £210. Looking at the sales ranking it is certainly being bought. Best UK price at present (£211) looks to be on ebay:

Comment

Working...
                                X