• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    Lisa Moore plays piano and sings music by Rzewski, including the excellent and eponymous No Place to Go but Around.

https://lisamoore.bandcamp.com/album...-go-but-around
    Perhaps a little pricey for a Bandcamp download of a single CD's worth but I am fascinated to hear how Coming Together works with a solo piano. Well over £20 for the CD puts that format beyond the pale, for me.

However, I now find that the relatively lo-fi sample stream appears to continue beyond "To His Coy Mistress" to the rest of the album, so I can 'try before I buy'.
    Last edited by Bryn; 25-06-22, 09:38. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

From documentary evidence, this recording was made in the spring of 1962. The reel-to-reel tape masters of these recordings have not sur- vived. An extraordinarily rare LP that managed to survive in fine con- dition was used for the vinyl to digital transfer. This recording has not previously been available on CD or digitally, and has not appeared in any of the various ‘Gustav Leonhardt Editions’ issued by the labels for which he later recorded.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Perhaps a little pricey for a Bandcamp download of a single CD's worth but I am fascinated to hear how Coming Together works with a solo piano. Well over £20 for the CD puts that format beyond the pale, for me.

However, I now find that the relatively lo-fi sample stream appears to continue beyond "To His Coy Mistress" to the rest of the album, so I can 'try before I buy'.

It’s on Qobuz, Spotify etc

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          It’s on Qobuz, Spotify etc
          Thanks. Since you posted the Bandcamp link, I wrongly assumed that that was the sole source. I now see that QOBUZ has it at 96/24.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

Re Coming Together, I very much like the way Lisa Moore’s way with the words.

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

As I mentioned this disc on the Earworm thread, I thought I'd mention it here too!
              Alkan - The Complete Piano music volume 5 - 11 Pieces dans le stlye religieuses, Op.72, Etude alla barbaro and Etude (from the Encyclopedie du Pianiste Compositeur) - Mark Viner, Piano Classics PCL10197.

Phenomenal playing again from the supremely talented Mark Viner! Very interesting music too, some of the harmonies (especially in the 2 etudes at the end of the disc) are completely bonkers and not the sort of thing you'd expect to hear from a composer who was writing in the mid-19th century.

As an aside, we're off to see Mr. Viner in concert in 4 weeks time at the Wensleydale Concert Series at Aysgarth - he's playing the following programme:
              Chopin - Fantaisie, Op. 49
              Fauré - 6e Nocturne, Op. 63
              Beethoven - Sonata Op. 110
              Alkan - Douze Etudes dans tous les tons mineurs, Op. 39 No. 12 ‘Le Festin d’Esope’
              Liszt - Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth, S. 534iii
              Liszt - Valse de l’opéra Faust de Gounod, S. 407

If you are going, we will see you there!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

There’s a new Suzuki / BCJ recording of Bach Keyboard concertos. I’ve always struggled a bit with these but he does them with a small chamber group and it’s sublime. Currently $9 from eclassical (24 bit)

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  There’s a new Suzuki / BCJ recording of Bach Keyboard concertos. I’ve always struggled a bit with these but he does them with a small chamber group and it’s sublime. Currently $9 from eclassical (24 bit)
                  There's a plethora of versions of the Bach harpsichord concertos. I was interested to hear recently that in the France Musique 'Tribune des Critiques' the clear winner for the panel of BWV 1052 was Christophe Rousset and The Academy of Ancient Music under Hogwood.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

Presumably Masato Suzuki rather than Masaaki? In which case definitely a she rather than a he! Nevertheless, I echo your sentiments.

I would also draw yours and Micky D's attention to the recent ongoing series by Francescor Corti with Pomo d'Oro. Very exciting performances played with immaculate technical aplomb. Might not be to everyone's taste but definitely has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these inexhaustibly inventive works.

Comment

• ostuni
                      • Nov 2010

Yes, those Corti Bach concerto recordings provide a stimulating listen! BTW, Masato Suzuki is definitely a man, though he shares his father's penchant for flowing locks…

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        Presumably Masato Suzuki rather than Masaaki? In which case definitely a she rather than a he! Nevertheless, I echo your sentiments.

I would also draw yours and Micky D's attention to the recent ongoing series by Francescor Corti with Pomo d'Oro. Very exciting performances played with immaculate technical aplomb. Might not be to everyone's taste but definitely has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for these inexhaustibly inventive works.
                        Thank you for this...a new recording I was unaware of. I already like the cover design!

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Oh dear, now here's a dilemma for me...all of Reinhard Goebel's Archiv Production recordings in a 75 cd set to be released next month. I have most of them, but there are quite a few CD premiers. I'm sorely tempted!

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

Stockhausen: Carre/ Kagel: Chorbuch. Coviello: COV92113. Buy SACD online. Chorwerk Ruhr, Bochumer Symphoniker

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

Comment

• Mandryka
                                • Feb 2021

This is available for streaming on Spotify now - you have to search for Ensemble Miroirs Étendus. I know the music through the release from Ictus, I rather like the music.

Comment

Working...
                                X