Prokofiev

Piano Sonatas 1, 2 & 5, Visions Fugitives

Alexander Melnikov (Harmonia Mundi)

Phenomenal playing as in the previous 2 volumes of the complete sonatas
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Twenty years after his "Symphonie Imaginaire" disc of Rameau, Mark Minkowski is giving us a second helping - and by all accounts it is ravishing. Extracts on France Musique this morning.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Twenty years after his "Symphonie Imaginaire" disc of Rameau, Mark Minkowski is giving us a second helping - and by all accounts it is ravishing. Extracts on France Musique this morning.

Great shout Micky! Thanks for this, I wasn’t aware.

Did you hear the baroque catch-up from the wonderful Anna Picard last Saturday?

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

It starts about 1 hour 40 minutes into the programme.

Interesting selection and I love her deft, understated and often amusing presentation.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

No, I haven't caught up with Saturday's programme yet, Nick, but will do so as like you, I rate Anna Picard very highly.

Extracts from the Rameau disc can be heard here on today's En Pistes! programme on Radio France:

Ce mercredi, Charlotte Landru-Chandès nous fait part de ses coups de coeur parmi les nouveautés classiques. Nous écouterons notamment le dernier enregistrement du chef Mark Minkowski accompagné des Musiciens du Louvres qui interprètent Rameau. en Pistes !

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

No, I haven't caught up with Saturday's programme yet, Nick, but will do so as like you, I rate Anna Picard very highly.

Extracts from the Rameau disc can be heard here on today's En Pistes! programme on Radio France:

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemus...rameau-6246680
            Extracts from the extracts, eh? I have just imported both Nouvell . . . and imaginere.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Extracts from the extracts, eh? I have just imported both Nouvell . . . and imaginere.
              Chapeau, Bryn!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Weinberg

String Quartets 1, 7 & 11

Super recording, Vol 2 of the Arcadia Quartet cycle on Chandos

Shaping up to be a set to rival the Quatuor Danel
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemus...rameau-6246680
                  Heard the whole thing via Qobuz on a road trip yesterday - very good though I could have done without the random sung arias which form part of it

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I particularly liked her quote from Mrs Pepys, which seemed to take Hannah F’s breath away slightly

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                      Heard the whole thing via Qobuz on a road trip yesterday - very good though I could have done without the random sung arias which form part of it
                      Ah yes, I agree with you there. A bit like the Jean Rondeau/Thomas Dunford disc 'Barricades', I wish they had just left it as an instrumental recital.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Another Ravel recording from Roth and Les Siècles, with Tiberghien playing a Pleyel piano. Looks interesting!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Another Ravel recording from Roth and Les Siècles, with Tiberghien playing a Pleyel piano. Looks interesting!
                          Mentioned (by me) in the What classical.... thread (#17361), as it was Presto's recording of the week; Bryn (#17363) concurred with some of my impressions!
                          Certainly interesting.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Very recent if not brand new is a beautiful Barbara Strozzi selection from mezzo, Renata Dubinskaitė, and the ensemble Canto Fiorito on Brilliant: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...i-la-voce-sola.

It is one of my favourite recent purchases which I spotted the other day while checking out Presto's enticing summer discount offers.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

This might be of interest to Satie enthusiasts. Bit outside of Cherry Red’s usual zone.
                              • A four disc Box set collection of historic Satie recordings, ranging from the 1920’s onwards. • Including such rarities as Henri Sauguet’s ‘Socrate’ for solo voice and orchestra; piano sets by William Masselos and Aldo Ciccolini that have been out of print for decades; Serge Koussevitzky's vintage recordings of the ‘Gymnopédies’, (arranged for orchestra by Claude Debussy), and Francis Poulenc and Georges Auric's two pianos and four hands arrangement of ‘Parade’, the Diaghilev-Picasso-Cocteau ballet which created a scandal in Paris and for the first time forced upon Satie the glare of publicity.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mandryka
                                • Feb 2021

Lisa Moore plays piano and sings music by Rzewski, including the excellent and eponymous No Place to Go but Around.

Comment

Working...
                                X