• Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    It's available separately (and cheaply) to download from 7digital
    And from Presto:

Mahler: Symphony No. 6. Berliner Philharmoniker: BPHR2003645. Buy download online. Berliner Philharmoniker, Kirill Petrenko

Streamable on Deezer, so in the queue for later.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Qobuz Mahler 6 KP here.....

Listen to unlimited or download Mahler: Symphony No. 6 by Berliner Philharmoniker in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

....but I'm staying with my beloved Nielsen and Simpson and....more Zelenka! I adore Zelenka...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

A very large number of new releases on Qubuz today. Just made the mistake of turning up the volume at the almost inaudible start of Simpson’s 5th Symphony (LSO Davis) . Never thought a symphony opening would need a health warning before...,..sensational performance though.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Releases from the last week or two that I've liked:
          Robert de Visée - Pièces pour théorbe et guitare (Xavier Díaz-Latorre). Absolutely superb. Maybe the theorbo pieces aren't quite on the level of Hopkinson Smith's recording for Astrée, but they're close, and the guitar material was a revelation for me. As a result I listened through Rafael Andia's complete recording of de Visée's guitar music on HM, which is also beautiful but the baroque guitar in Díaz-Latorre's hands is a unique and magical thing.
          "Forqueray Unchained" (André Lislevand, viola da gamba), not just Forqueray but a few of his contemporaries too, a beautifully assembled programme, very nicely played.
          Weber - Piano Concertos (Brautigam), which I've been enthusing about elsewhere
          Gunnar Geisse - Triptych. Precipitous improvisatory electronic music using thousands of sampled instrumental sounds, not a million miles from some of my own doings.

... and the ones lined up for listening soon:
          Marais - Troisième Livre de Pièces de viole (François Joubert-Caillet). The first and second books were so good this has to be too.
          Simpson - Symphonies 5 & 6, I feel a duty to listen to these, not sure what the outcome will be.
          Berlioz - Lélio (Gielen). A work I don't know with a conductor I greatly admire.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Releases from the last week or two that I've liked:
            Robert de Visée - Pièces pour théorbe et guitare (Xavier Díaz-Latorre). Absolutely superb. Maybe the theorbo pieces aren't quite on the level of Hopkinson Smith's recording for Astrée, but they're close, and the guitar material was a revelation for me. As a result I listened through Rafael Andia's complete recording of de Visée's guitar music on HM, which is also beautiful but the baroque guitar in Díaz-Latorre's hands is a unique and magical thing.
            "Forqueray Unchained" (André Lislevand, viola da gamba), not just Forqueray but a few of his contemporaries too, a beautifully assembled programme, very nicely played.
            Weber - Piano Concertos (Brautigam), which I've been enthusing about elsewhere
            Gunnar Geisse - Triptych. Precipitous improvisatory electronic music using thousands of sampled instrumental sounds, not a million miles from some of my own doings.

... and the ones lined up for listening soon:
            Marais - Troisième Livre de Pièces de viole (François Joubert-Caillet). The first and second books were so good this has to be too.
            Simpson - Symphonies 5 & 6, I feel a duty to listen to these, not sure what the outcome will be.
            Berlioz - Lélio (Gielen). A work I don't know with a conductor I greatly admire.
            Richard - don’t be tempted to turn the vol up at the start of Simpson 5 - though maybe you know the score...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
              A very large number of new releases on Qubuz today. Just made the mistake of turning up the volume at the almost inaudible start of Simpson’s 5th Symphony (LSO Davis) . Never thought a symphony opening would need a health warning before...,..sensational performance though.
              I bought the CD on release. More detailed comments here....

I still regard it as his greatest achievement.....don't forget the Composers' Subforum (which fhg established), much interesting comment and insight within....

Contemporary reviews of the 5th and 6th (and other Simpson) Premieres are quoted extensively in MacAuley's Simpson Biography; too long to quote here, but those of the 5th were especially positive - the world was beginning to listen....but (as Simpson said himself) the 6th suffered from very brief rehearsal time, and was received with more bafflement.
              Suffice to say the earlier works (up to the marvellous, life-affirming No.4) encountered at least as much initial hostility as Beethoven or Bruckner ever did....so the 5th helped his cause, rather as the 7th for Bruckner.

The 1962 3rd received much insulting and condescending dismissal, which only changed some 10 years later when Horenstein took it up with the LSO; and Ed Greenfield (always very open to New Music) reviewed it live, then in Gramophone, with (finally!) deserved acclaim. The NMC CD is a true classic.

It was my "entry point" in to Simpson, eagerly borrowing the LP with its stunning cover photo of Earth-from-Space (very fresh & exciting then)... the impact of my first hearing was life-changing...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-04-21, 16:19.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                I bought the CD on release. More detailed comments here....

....don't forget the Composers' Subforum (which fhg established), much interesting comment and insight within....
                I guess it must have popped up on CD before being released on stream as the refs on the other thread are three weeks old. Sensational recording as well - amazing dynamic range for what must have been an analogue recording.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  I guess it must have popped up on CD before being released on stream as the refs on the other thread are three weeks old. Sensational recording as well - amazing dynamic range for what must have been an analogue recording.
                  Yes, from (I guess) the original BBC tapes.
                  I came into serious listening around 1973-4, and the stereo SQ from RAH or RFH was already very good. I usually found it hard to match off LP, at least as far as I could afford to attempt it then (Audiophiles are born, not made...and frequently discontented.).

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Now here's a really interesting programme...heard some excerpts from it on France Musique this morning and it sounds great. Love the Irish folk melodies arranged by Giordani and JC Bach!

Last edited by MickyD; 06-04-21, 09:28.

Comment

• ostuni
                      • Nov 2010

Three new releases which I've streamed from Qobuz in the last couple of days, and much enjoyed. 1. Beethoven 9th Symphony (with 7 & 8, not yet heard), finishing off Thomas Adès's cycle with the Britten Sinfonia. Very much to my tastes: lean, period-influenced performance, with smallish orchestra and choir (absolutely not lacking in power, though) and good, light, clean solo voices (Jennifer France Ed Lyon & Matthew Rose all excellent).

2. Stravinsky Sacre, Orchestre de Paris/Heras-Casado. I agree with Katherine Cooper's review on Presto Classical: beautifully played, with lots of detail: not as brutal as many, but again not underpowered.

3. Mahler 6, BPO/Petrenko. In the big BPO Mahler set, but available (at least digitally) separately. Fabulous playing; the Andante (played second) moves along at a proper Andante, and the Finale is also, to my tastes, without any self-indulgent lingering. In terms of recording and playing, this is as good as anything I've heard (and my score contains notes from 14 other versions).

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                        Three new releases which I've streamed from Qobuz in the last couple of days, and much enjoyed. 1. Beethoven 9th Symphony (with 7 & 8, not yet heard), finishing off Thomas Adès's cycle with the Britten Sinfonia. Very much to my tastes: lean, period-influenced performance, with smallish orchestra and choir (absolutely not lacking in power, though) and good, light, clean solo voices (Jennifer France Ed Lyon & Matthew Rose all excellent).

2. Stravinsky Sacre, Orchestre de Paris/Heras-Casado. I agree with Katherine Cooper's review on Presto Classical: beautifully played, with lots of detail: not as brutal as many, but again not underpowered.

3. Mahler 6, BPO/Petrenko. In the big BPO Mahler set, but available (at least digitally) separately. Fabulous playing; the Andante (played second) moves along at a proper Andante, and the Finale is also, to my tastes, without any self-indulgent lingering. In terms of recording and playing, this is as good as anything I've heard (and my score contains notes from 14 other versions).
                        Have you been listening outside my window after auditioning the Beethoven?

Comment

• ostuni
                          • Nov 2010

Ah yes, I remember that you'd been (?trying) listening to the Sacre. M6 too?!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

But of course. I was hoping to find others from the set but no luck there. I'm not sure I want to buy the CD/Blu-ray boxed set, especially without a performing version of all five movements of the, or Das Lied von der Erde.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Absolutely loving the new Currentzis/MusicaEterna Beethoven 7

Talk about a familiar loved piece coming up fresh as paint / heard with new ears / &c &c (add clichés).

All the cross-rhythms, inner parts, pulse and energy that I hear in my mind’s ear but never quite in performances. All without undue haste.

A winner imvvho
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                                Absolutely loving the new Currentzis/MusicaEterna Beethoven 7

Talk about a familiar loved piece coming up fresh as paint / heard with new ears / &c &c (add clichés).

All the cross-rhythms, inner parts, pulse and energy that I hear in my mind’s ear but never quite in performances. All without undue haste.

A winner imvvho
                                Less self regardingthan his Fifth I’ll warrant you but I much preferred the Manze that came out at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X