X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
    It's only in the special preview edition.
    It was Wise ly omitted!

Maybe mentioned in the Interviews on CD95! ...

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Sorry not to encourage you. Using the (cursor over the picture) magnifier on the rear of the box listing on the river people's web page, it says that CDs 4, 14, 21, 38, 40, 44, 45, 50, 65 have been remastered. A number of those are such as the "A_P_'s Music Night" CDs, but not Rachmaninov 2nd ....

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Looking at the contents (on Amazon) I'm really surprised at how many I don't have! Hoping for a completely new remastering of the Rachmaninov Symphony No 2 as this famous recording never had ideal sound. That's my birthday present to self sorted out!.....
      Decidedly mixed feelings about this box, even before I consider the contents in detail. As a teenager, "Music Night" was early viewing. I recall the televised Prom where Thomas Allen memorably succumbed to the heat, and we were re-assured he had a promising career ahead of him, regardless. And I participated in the performance which I am sure was his last but one engagement, and last in London. A seemingly low key transition - Dream of Gerontius, Westminster Cathedral, November 2019. This is a piecing together of information, but with the following stop to performing for all artists (for a full year and more.....) in retrospect it must seem timely. So it spans the period of my interest in music - no doubt in the way that the Barbirolli set - (for the latter years of Barbirolli's performing?) means the same for others here....

I grew up with the vinyl Belshazzar's Feast and unfortunately there was a bit of distortion (or anyway, unsatisfactory sound) which took away the pleasure somewhat. (Maybe I should extract the highights -Shirley-Quirk, etc for replay). That's not remastered - perhaps it wouldn't improve things. In a way, I'm glad a better quality for this disc doesn't serve to add to the attraction of this set. I've got a fair few Previn recordings, and I'm not especially attracted to the Music Night etc additions. And, I've just got to stop buying Big Boxes, I really do - I tell myself!

I think I'll muddle along maybe adding a few individual CDs having I hope tried before I buy on the streaming sites.....

Turning to a streaming site - I missed this yesterday – good to know my referencing Naxos Music Library is giving some benefit. (BTW, I noticed a number of Barbirolli discs added there after the release of the Big Box – presumably Warner using the occasion to issue new performances or to update the discs. ( http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2 ).

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      I see Cornwall Library Service provides Naxos Music Library access……..Hope you are a member with the IT…….. There is an Ivory Classics Discs with more than a cursory biography in the PDF booklet. "Ruth Slenczynska in Concert" Catalogue No.: 70902………..
      Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
      Thanks for this. They emailed us about their recent Medici.tv subscription but, strangely, not the NML one.
      Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Thanks to CS I use this now and also Mrs C regularly downloads …on-line books…..

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

And, I've just got to stop buying Big Boxes, I really do - I tell myself!
        Why? On cost grounds, storage grounds, on over-duplication grounds or all three? I tell myself the same sometimes but the bigger draw for me is to have all (or nearly all) of an admired conductor's recordings (usually a conductor in my case) all together in one box with the added nostalgia of the original artwork and the attraction of fresh re-masterings. I saw many of them and met a few (including Previn, twice) and it's probably going to be the last chance I get of acquiring what are highly professional productions and uniquely collectable editions on CD.

I do wish that Warner had done their Klemperer and Karajan editions in one big box for each conductor and a pity that I failed to get the Sony Boulez box, now seemingly deleted.

I'm wary of getting some smaller boxes where I can foresee a possible future complete one but often succumb to the temptation to get them anyway. Ones I'd like to see are complete Haitink, Abbado and Böhm boxes. I'm not particularly interested in the forthcoming Ormandy box (never saw him and have very few recordings of his) but it does look very good.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Why? On cost grounds, storage grounds, on over-duplication grounds or all three? I tell myself the same sometimes but the bigger draw for me is to have all (or nearly all) of an admired conductor's recordings (usually a conductor in my case) all together in one box with the added nostalgia of the original artwork and the attraction of fresh re-masterings. I saw many of them and met a few (including Previn, twice) and it's probably going to be the last chance I get of acquiring what are highly professional productions and uniquely collectable editions on CD.

I do wish that Warner had done their Klemperer and Karajan editions in one big box for each conductor and a pity that I failed to get the Sony Boulez box, now seemingly deleted.

I'm wary of getting some smaller boxes where I can foresee a possible future complete one but often succumb to the temptation to get them anyway. Ones I'd like to see are complete Haitink, Abbado and Böhm boxes. I'm not particularly interested in the forthcoming Ormandy box (never saw him and have very few recordings of his) but it does look very good.
          The complete Sony Boulez (conducting) set is still avaialble (new) from amazon.es, though you may baulk at the price.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The complete Sony Boulez (conducting) set is still avaialble (new) from amazon.es, though you may baulk at the price.
            Definitely baulking at that price! I have far too many duplicates to justify the purchase but I still regret not getting it while it was available at a more reasonable price.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Why? On cost grounds, storage grounds, on over-duplication grounds or all three? I tell myself the same sometimes but the bigger draw for me is to have all (or nearly all) of an admired conductor's recordings (usually a conductor in my case) all together in one box with the added nostalgia of the original artwork and the attraction of fresh re-masterings.......
              Storage is an issue, but I am aware of the time absorbed to keep the discs in good order (or which could be taken if things were in... ahem... better order). Mainly its an awareness I already possess far more recorded music than I can ever listen to, and must examine whether I really need any more. I also wonder what on earth my close family will do with them all when I reach my end of days..

A weakness in my resistant stance is vocalists - opera and other singers - sets with an otherwise unobtainable performance etc etc. (I've just taken delivery of about 7 discs from the Jussi Bjorling society, for example.....). Not that I'm unenthusiastic about conductors - I've got Svetlanov boxes for example......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

And, I've just got to stop buying Big Boxes, I really do - I tell myself!
                It’s funny, I’m so far away now from ever being tempted by these big CD boxes. I never have been, really - rather like walking into a massive hyper-store, it’s somehow psychologically overwhelming. I’ve always been more targeted in acquisitions, wanting this specific piece in this specific performance... The idea of up to 100 or more CDs sitting waiting to be listened to is...

A tendency accentuated by the joys of Qobuz, any number of alternatives for my interest in Dvorak piano trios last week, Josquin des Prez this week... (and no space-devouring, dust-gathering or executor-challenging...)

I haven’t bought even a single CD for some years let alone a box. Occasionally tempted, if for instance a Hyperion CD isn’t streamable, or most recently when I’d love to hear all of Kirill Petrenko’s Mahler 6 which as far as I can see is only in that recent Mahler Symphony box from the Berliner Philharmoniker...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  It’s funny, I’m so far away now from ever being tempted by these big CD boxes. I never have been, really - rather like walking into a massive hyper-store, it’s somehow psychologically overwhelming. I’ve always been more targeted in acquisitions, wanting this specific piece in this specific performance... The idea of up to 100 or more CDs sitting waiting to be listened to is...
                  I have had the opposite tendency - that of a completist or collector's, since it had seemed to me arbitrary at first to pick out something by Bach or Mozart when they have such vast outputs of such quality, I decided I needed to place whatever works I heard by them in their context, and to negotiate them*; hence I couldn't believe my luck when I saw those Brilliant boxed sets appear in HMV in the mid-noughties - and to my teenaged mind I thought great, I'd not need to buy anymore CDs by either composer thanks to these boxed sets! But it's nice having such a library for such things, like the complete Shakespeare.

*Also acquiring the Faber pocket guides was useful in this regard.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                    [COLOR="#0000FF"} Kirill Petrenko’s Mahler 6 which as far as I can see is only in that recent Mahler Symphony box from the Berliner Philharmoniker... [/COLOR]
                    The performance is available to view on the BPO Digital Concert Hall, though I have to confess to finding Petrenko a distraction to watch.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

The performance is available to view on the BPO Digital Concert Hall, though I have to confess to finding Petrenko a distraction to watch.
                      Yes I have watched it. You put your finger on one of the reasons an audio recording would be good to have!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Yesterday I was listening to a new CD on BIS of music by Michael Jarrell (b 1958), an old acquaintance of mine. I was struck by the echoes in the first piece - a viola concerto - of the concertos of Dutilleux. Admirers of HD's work might find much to interest them on the Jarrell disc.
                        It's on offer from eclassical right now - and you can listen to short samples - https://www.eclassical.com/performer...ral-works.html

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          It's on offer from eclassical right now - and you can listen to short samples - https://www.eclassical.com/performer...ral-works.html
                          And it's a hefty discount, too.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

I didn't know where to put this little announcement so I guess here is as good a place as any. Over on the "What are you Practising/Composing" thread I've been banging on about this work in progress for a few weeks now, and it's no longer in progress. For those who haven't seen the other thread: this is an album consisting of five new electronic compositions, each of which is based on an improvisational solo specially recorded by one of five instrumentalists: Daryl Buckley (electric lap steel guitar), Ivana Grahovac (cello), Lori Freedman (bass clarinet), Anne La Berge (flute) and Lê Quan Ninh (percussion). Released a few minutes ago on the STRANGE STRINGS label. I hope some of you will listen and enjoy.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                I didn't know where to put this little announcement so I guess here is as good a place as any. Over on the "What are you Practising/Composing" thread I've been banging on about this work in progress for a few weeks now, and it's no longer in progress. For those who haven't seen the other thread: this is an album consisting of five new electronic compositions, each of which is based on an improvisational solo specially recorded by one of five instrumentalists: Daryl Buckley (electric lap steel guitar), Ivana Grahovac (cello), Lori Freedman (bass clarinet), Anne La Berge (flute) and Lê Quan Ninh (percussion). Released a few minutes ago on the STRANGE STRINGS label. I hope some of you will listen and enjoy.

https://richardbarrett.bandcamp.com/...binary-systems
                                I have the first track on now in fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X