X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Available for download from next Friday, and on CD somewhat later, Brian Ferneyhough: Complete works for piano, to date (Ian Pace) on Divine Arts.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

BIS have now collected all the recent Brautigam Mozart piano concertos in a 'budget' box...I already have Bilson and Levin, but knowing how much I love the BIS/Brautigam performances and sound in other releases, I'm sorely tempted to acquire this as well!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        BIS have now collected all the recent Brautigam Mozart piano concertos in a 'budget' box...I already have Bilson and Levin, but knowing how much I love the BIS/Brautigam performances and sound in other releases, I'm sorely tempted to acquire this as well!

‘Budget’ = £6 per disc - really like Willens Haffner and Posthorn but not a fan of fortepiano sounds.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Another BIS release, the final discs in Fredrik Ullén's recordings of Sorabji's Transcendental Studies:

By far the largest collection of concert études in the known repertoire, Kaikhosru Sorabji’s set of 100 Transcendental Studies, composed between 1940 and 1944, has a total

I'm currently importing the 96/24 stereo stream from Qobuz but will probably get the CDs (when the price drops) to supplement the earlier releases in that format. I have held off listening until the recording project was completed. Something to fill most of the 25th.
          Last edited by Bryn; 20-12-20, 12:53. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

Hi all,
              I know Alkan doesn't perhaps count as especially unsung but some of the works on Mark Viner's new disc are first recordings.
              Here's a link to his web shop for pre-ordering this disc:
              Charles-Valentin Alkan (1813-1888) Paraphrases, Marches & Symphonie for solo piano, Op.39 Salut, cendre du pauvre!, paraphrase, Op.45 Super flumina Babylonis, paraphrase, Op.52 Trois Marches quasi da cavalleria, Op.37No.1 Allegro moltoNo.2 Allegro vivace*No.3 Allegro* Alleluia, Op.25 Marche funèbre, Op.26 Marche triomphale, Op.27 Douze Etudes dans tous les tons mineurs, Op.39Nos.4-7 'Symphonie'I 1er Mouvement: Allegro moderatoII Marche funèbre: AndantinoIII MenuetIV Finale: Presto *first recordings (PCL10207)

I'll be buying this from there rather than anywhere else as at least that way, Mark gets all the royalties and, in these strange times, the artists need all the help they can get.
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                Hi all,
                I know Alkan doesn't perhaps count as especially unsung but some of the works on Mark Viner's new disc are first recordings.
                Here's a link to his web shop for pre-ordering this disc:
                Charles-Valentin Alkan (1813-1888) Paraphrases, Marches & Symphonie for solo piano, Op.39 Salut, cendre du pauvre!, paraphrase, Op.45 Super flumina Babylonis, paraphrase, Op.52 Trois Marches quasi da cavalleria, Op.37No.1 Allegro moltoNo.2 Allegro vivace*No.3 Allegro* Alleluia, Op.25 Marche funèbre, Op.26 Marche triomphale, Op.27 Douze Etudes dans tous les tons mineurs, Op.39Nos.4-7 'Symphonie'I 1er Mouvement: Allegro moderatoII Marche funèbre: AndantinoIII MenuetIV Finale: Presto *first recordings (PCL10207)

I'll be buying this from there rather than anywhere else as at least that way, Mark gets all the royalties and, in these strange times, the artists need all the help they can get.
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

The latest Antonini Haydn offering, due out in a few days:

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Just downloaded the basic CD rate FLACs, along with four other titles (ensuring the 10% discount). I will probably burn Op. 76 to a pair of CD-Rs to go with the others from the series I already have on CD. I do like the way Hyperion include not only a pdf of the booklet but also one in epub format.

<p>The summit of Haydn’s quartet-writing, and of the classical string quartet medium itself. The ‘Emperor’, ‘Fifths’ and ‘Sunrise’ may be the best known of the six—as so often with those works by Haydn which have nicknames—but the others are every bit their equal.</p>

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

It really is time for me to return to the later Haydn Quartets, especially after my recently-renewed passion for the Mozart Haydn/Prussian sets, which is still very live indeed....
                      There is no genre more important to me now than the String Quartet.

All a question of formats.... I was only thinking yesterday, of the Haydn Op.76/77 etc as possibly my next adventure, or musical dwellngplace.....a spiritual retreat..... so, very glad to see this release. Thanks for highlighting it.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        It really is time for me to return to the later Haydn Quartets, especially after my recently-renewed passion for the Mozart Haydn/Prussian sets, which is still very live indeed....
                        There is no genre more important to me now than the String Quartet.

All a question of formats.... I was only thinking yesterday, of the Haydn Op.76/77 etc as possibly my next adventure, or musical dwellngplace.....a spiritual retreat..... so, very glad to see this release. Thanks for highlighting it.
                        I too am fond of string quartets. I like the clarity.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

There's a new collection of 20 CDs by Peter Maag coming along in March. No detailed idea what's going to be on them yet.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            There's a new collection of 20 CDs by Peter Maag coming along in March. No detailed idea what's going to be on them yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Maag-...452355&sr=8-11
                            Of all conductors he certainly deserves it. I'll look closely here, though there will be some duplication for me..... I love his Mozart and Mendelssohn, in London and in Italy....

Somewhat overwhelmed by his own early success, he went into religious retreat for two years after 1962, and this does seem to have damaged his career as a recording artist, with Decca at least. Shame for future musiclovers perhaps, but I guess he had to follow his heart, and never seems to have regretted it.

Some of his best recordings are in fact on the Arts label (a boxset of these would probably be even more interesting...), with various Italian and Spanish orchestras, including Mozart and Mendelssohn Symphonies, Brahms, Strauss waltzes and even a complete Beethoven Cycle.
                            I'd recommend the Mendelssohn and Mozart very enthusiastically. I haven't heard the Beethoven but I suspect it would be very rewarding, given Maag's ear for clarity and rhythmic precision, allied to an expressive warmth.

He seems to have felt under pressure in his early Decca years, and to my ears these later recordings have a greater freedom and musical wisdom, more warmth and joy.
                            Most of them are available on Qobuz, and well worth anyone's listening time!
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-02-21, 21:52.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Maag-...452355&sr=8-11
                              Looks a very nice box and I would think contains all his recordings on Decca and DG, BUT having been a long standing Maag fan I’ve probably got all the recordings by him that I want.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Looks a very nice box and I would think contains all his recordings on Decca and DG, BUT having been a long standing Maag fan I’ve probably got all the recordings by him that I want.
                                Have you heard the Arts Beethoven set, Cloughie? I'm intrigued about it....detailed (largely positive) review in Gramophone, 4/99 (RC)

Comment

Working...
                                X