Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    A couple of new release lined up here:

Harrison Birtwistle: Responses (Sweet Disorder) & Gawain's Journey

Symphonieorchester der Bayerischen Rundfunks, Stefan Asbury

Radulescu: The Complete Cello Works

Catherine Marie Tunnell (cello), Ian Pace (piano)

Just started listening to Responses, which sounds like it would make a great Proms work. The Gramophone review mentioned that this isn’t a disc for Birtwistle newbies, but I think I disagree. Responses seems quite a good way in to his world.
    Yes I thought that was an odd remark in the Gramophone. Responses certainly seems one of his more readily approachable works (like the Violin Concerto). And to have that orchestra!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

I have the new Sibelius 2 / Gotherburg SO / Rouvali lined up for a listen later.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Musing upon the purchase of the new recording of the Skalkottas 3rd Piano Concerto while listening on Qobuz (the tempi and liveness do seem to bring a more compelling urgency), I was stunned to stumble across this -

Not only a second recording of the Sinfonietta, but the first release of the Classical Symphony, a very substantial work previously only seen in a (to put it as kindly as I can) less than ideal performance on youtube.....A for effort, yes, but......seemingly withdrawn since, perhaps wisely...

I'd heard of the Symphony and an old radio recording years ago, and always wondered about it....a late work in 4 movements, over 34', scored for a substantial Wind/Brass Ensemble, 2 Harps, Percussion and "8-10" Double-Basses....
        Just a little more demanding than the Prokofiev then...

Wow! I'd almost given up hope it would ever appear.....stream available end of month, CD - Now! Monday Night is Skalkottas Première Night!
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-02-20, 04:34.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Take a look at this......

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 'Pastoral' by Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

...yet another in an amazing year for New Releases..... quite a backlog already....

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Take a look at this......

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 'Pastoral' by Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

...yet another in an amazing year for New Releases..... quite a backlog already....
            Thanks, will have a listen when it is available on Apple Music.

Meanwhile fans of Bernstein's Mass can look forward to a new recording from DR Davies , released either in March or June depending on who you believe.

Conveniently buy, stream or download at Naxos anytime. Add C5370 from Capriccio to your classical music collection today.

I'll be giving it a listen for sure, if I can find it on Apple or Spotty. Thanks to one of our eagle eyed northern based forumites for spotting this. They obviously get Gramophone delivered more quickly up there......
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Delighted to see in the latest Gramophone that the wonderful Alicia Weilerstein has recorded the Bach 'Cello suites. A release date in April is scheduled.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Delighted to see in the latest Gramophone that the wonderful Alicia Weilerstein has recorded the Bach 'Cello suites. A release date in April is scheduled.
                Interesting. Any idea what instrument(s) and bow(s) she used for these recordings?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Interesting. Any idea what instrument(s) and bow(s) she used for these recordings?
                  Alas not although I suspect that both bows, strings and set up will be modern. I know she played them in Manchester before Christmas and I was unable to attend.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Argerich and Ozawa with his Mito Chamber Orchestra in Beethoven PC No 2 coupled with the Holberg Suite no less in May.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Maybe this one?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

A couple I have lined up.

The Divine Muse. Mary Bevan and Joseph Middleton. The Wolf song that was previewed on Record Review was very lovely, and Mark Pullinger gives it a rave review in Gramophone. Not heard from him on the forum for a long time.

Also “ Death and the Maiden” from 12 Ensemble caught my eye,which has an intruiging mix of music including a piece from “ post rock” band Sigur Ros, who, incidentally, are pretty good from what I have heard. A sort of soft edged Radiohead , IIRC. The album has a rather Rock n Roll cover.
                        Also looking forward to a new Isabelle Faust CD of the Schoenberg VC and Verklarte Nacht, but its not available yet. Keeps busy, doesn’t she ?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Many thanks for that, Jayne. Very interesting.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Meanwhile fans of Bernstein's Mass can look forward to a new recording from DR Davies , released either in March or June depending on who you believe.

Conveniently buy, stream or download at Naxos anytime. Add C5370 from Capriccio to your classical music collection today.

I'll be giving it a listen for sure, if I can find it on Apple or Spotty. Thanks to one of our eagle eyed northern based forumites for spotting this. They obviously get Gramophone delivered more quickly up there......
                            I'm not sure that I am a fan, but it seems odd for Naxos to do this, when it already has this one - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bernstein...2748675&sr=8-1 which IIRC was highly rated.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I'm not sure that I am a fan, but it seems odd for Naxos to do this, when it already has this one - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bernstein...2748675&sr=8-1 which IIRC was highly rated.
                              But in this case, Naxos is merely acting as the distributor for the Capriccio label.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

A couple I have lined up.

The Divine Muse. Mary Bevan and Joseph Middleton. The Wolf song that was previewed on Record Review was very lovely, and Mark Pullinger gives it a rave review in Gramophone. Not heard from him on the forum for a long time.

Also “ Death and the Maiden” from 12 Ensemble caught my eye,which has an intruiging mix of music including a piece from “ post rock” band Sigur Ros, who, incidentally, are pretty good from what I have heard. A sort of soft edged Radiohead , IIRC. The album has a rather Rock n Roll cover.
                                Also looking forward to a new Isabelle Faust CD of the Schoenberg VC and Verklarte Nacht, but its not available yet. Keeps busy, doesn’t she ?
                                This is now available to stream. Hoping to give it a listen this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X