Clear All
  • Master Jacques
    • Feb 2012

Hyperion CDA68280
    Vaughan Williams
    Symphony No.3 ('Pastoral'); Symphony No.4; Saraband 'Helen'
    BBC Symphony Orchestra,
    c. Martyn Brabbins

Having enjoyed the Brabbins/BBC combination performing the 'Pastoral' at the Proms a couple of seasons ago, I had high hopes of this new, Hyperion issue. In the event, while the 'Pastoral' 3rd receives a virtuous, if marginally straight-laced and studio-bound reading, the 4th is a rare clinker from Brabbins: I've never heard it done with such four-square, cautious accuracy at the expense of anything that makes the work worth hearing - there's a chronic lack of 'oomph' throughout, a lack of engagement - a rhythmic flaccidity even - which makes this well-manicured rendition the dullest I've ever encountered on disc. It's a complete non-starter, to which I won't be returning.

Praise where praise is due: it's pleasant to have the 9-minute cantata (which the composer himself perhaps sensibly abandoned, presumably as it was doing nothing he hadn't done before, and done better). But I'd regretfully warn RVW fans off the main meat of this sub-par release.

Comment

• Pianoman
      • Jan 2013

I have to agree. I quite enjoyed his earlier London, but this 4th is a non-starter for me, despite various accolades in the press. Can't hold a candle to Berglund, Thomson or Slatkin, all of whom find the requisite energy and razor-sharp rhythmic dynamism the score needs. Brabbins sounds on auto pilot.

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
        I have to agree. I quite enjoyed his earlier London, but this 4th is a non-starter for me, despite various accolades in the press. Can't hold a candle to Berglund, Thomson or Slatkin, all of whom find the requisite energy and razor-sharp rhythmic dynamism the score needs. Brabbins sounds on auto pilot.
        I'm very glad that you mention the Berglund RVW 4th, which has been consistently underrated by the "usual suspects"! And I'm afraid that "auto-pilot" is exactly what this new Brabbins recording conveys.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
          I'm very glad that you mention the Berglund RVW 4th, which has been consistently underrated by the "usual suspects"! And I'm afraid that "auto-pilot" is exactly what this new Brabbins recording conveys.
          Phew! When I got the Gibson/Berglund double CD RVW album back in 2008, it cost me all of £7.67 (including p&p) from amazon.co.uk. Today they are asking for £65.06 (with 'free' p&p) for a "Used - Good" copy. Fortunately, it is also in the Berglund Icon box, along with the 6th. Agreed, it's a very fine performance.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

I don't know if Piers Burton-Page is a "usual" or "unusual suspect", but the Berglund recording of the RVW Fourth was his final choice when he (alone - bliss!) surveyed the work for BaL on 10th March, 2012.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Master Jacques
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I don't know if Piers Burton-Page is a "usual" or "unusual suspect", but the Berglund recording of the RVW Fourth was his final choice when he (alone - bliss!) surveyed the work for BaL on 10th March, 2012.

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-F-minor/page8
              Not a suspect at all - PB-P is somebody to trust with your recorded life, and adept at putting his opinion across clearly (and readably, too, when in print). I had other suspects in mind ... (he whispered darkly).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Not a suspect at all - PB-P is somebody to trust with your recorded life, and adept at putting his opinion across clearly (and readably, too, when in print). I had other suspects in mind ... (he whispered darkly).
                Except where Ida Haendel's recording of the Britten Concerto was concerned

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-F-minor/page8

And that choice prompted me into buying the 2CD set Bryn mentions.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Hyperion CDA68280
                    Vaughan Williams
                    Symphony No.3 ('Pastoral'); Symphony No.4; Saraband 'Helen'
                    BBC Symphony Orchestra,
                    c. Martyn Brabbins

Having enjoyed the Brabbins/BBC combination performing the 'Pastoral' at the Proms a couple of seasons ago, I had high hopes of this new, Hyperion issue. In the event, while the 'Pastoral' 3rd receives a virtuous, if marginally straight-laced and studio-bound reading, the 4th is a rare clinker from Brabbins: I've never heard it done with such four-square, cautious accuracy at the expense of anything that makes the work worth hearing - there's a chronic lack of 'oomph' throughout, a lack of engagement - a rhythmic flaccidity even - which makes this well-manicured rendition the dullest I've ever encountered on disc. It's a complete non-starter, to which I won't be returning.

Praise where praise is due: it's pleasant to have the 9-minute cantata (which the composer himself perhaps sensibly abandoned, presumably as it was doing nothing he hadn't done before, and done better). But I'd regretfully warn RVW fans off the main meat of this sub-par release.
                    Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                    Blimey,I don’t think this No 4 is that bad certainly far from being a first choice though.
                    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• sgjames

Sibelius - Symphony 2, King Christian II Suite
                      Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Rouvali
                      Alpha, 2020.

Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 & King Christian II Suite. Alpha: ALPHA574. Buy CD or download online. Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Santtu-Matias Rouvali

It seems like a cycle is starting to form. CD release on 14 Feb.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Great news on the Rouvali....!

And - ! The Naxos Magnard Cycle is now complete.....
                        Listen to unlimited or download Magnard: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 by Philharmonisches Orchester Freiburg in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Playing now off Qobuz-S....CD just out.....sounds gorgeous.... surely the best of the few cycles available (Plasson, Ossonce, Sanderling) - I know them all well), certainly the best sounding, warm, full textured, beautifully balanced....The Ossonce has very good recorded sound, but lacks some of the idiomatic warmth of the newcomer....which manages to gauge that peculiar French/German sound-blend perfectly, and is a must-buy for any Magnardians... here's the slow movement of No.2 (my personal favourite) now.... God, this is lovely...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Skalkottas admirers will be glad to know of a release of premiere recordings of Chamber and orchestral works released today:

Skalkottas - World Premiere Recordings | This album presents a selection of world premiere recordings of music by Nikos Skalkottas, the most important Gree

... the premiere (I think) recording of the Third Piano Concerto also out today:

Skalkottas - Piano Concerto no.3 | The Greek Nikos Skalkottas has remained a “composer for musicians” to this day. In other words, most musicians know his

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

A new 24-CD boxed set of recordings from the first 18 years of the Philharmonia Orchestra is also out today for around £70:

Philharmonia Orchestra: Birth of a Legend | A prestigious name since it came into being in 1945, the Philharmonia was established by legendary producer Wal

... a couple of new/never before released items included, just to annoy those of us who have most of the other items already.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Great news on the Rouvali....!

And - ! The Naxos Magnard Cycle is now complete.....
                              Listen to unlimited or download Magnard: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 by Philharmonisches Orchester Freiburg in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Playing now off Qobuz-S....CD just out.....sounds gorgeous.... surely the best of the few cycles available (Plasson, Ossonce, Sanderling) - I know them all well), certainly the best sounding, warm, full textured, beautifully balanced....The Ossonce has very good recorded sound, but lacks some of the idiomatic warmth of the newcomer....which manages to gauge that peculiar French/German sound-blend perfectly, and is a must-buy for any Magnardians... here's the slow movement of No.2 (my personal favourite) now.... God, this is lovely...
                              Only £4 for hi res from Chandos (£2.30 for CD quality)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Skalkottas admirers will be glad to know of a release of premiere recordings of Chamber and orchestral works released today:

Skalkottas - World Premiere Recordings | This album presents a selection of world premiere recordings of music by Nikos Skalkottas, the most important Gree

... the premiere (I think) recording of the Third Piano Concerto also out today:

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classic...certo_no.3.htm
                                In fact, BIS released the Premiere recording of the vast 3rd Piano Concerto in 2004....

The new one is quite a bit faster, if perhaps not quite so faithfully,or fastidiously, recorded....
                                Not sure about this other new release.... the 1929 Suite might be a premiere, but BIS have covered many instrumental works earlier including.... two Sonatinas for Violin and Piano from the same year... 1929... may be a overlap somewhere. The wonderful Greek Dances have been well-recorded complete by the BBCSO on BIS again, some BIS string arrangements too, then more idiomatically & much more excitingly, if sometimes on the edge of coherence (OK - just a bit scrappy sometimes!) by the Ural State PO/Fidetzis....
                                The Little SO is OK - wouldn't push the boat out for them though....

Return of Ulysses for Two Pianos..?! Bit of a hair shirt, perhaps..... very stoical attention required....
                                BBCSO/BIS have the excellent Orchestral version, but.....whatever keeps you amused of course!

Terrific composer anyway, worth anyone's attention.... try the Orchestral Version of the Double Violin Concerto...

Pretty wild, huh?
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-01-20, 19:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X