X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I think Andrew was rather over bearing. He should’ve given the reviewer more freedom really.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... the latest in the naïve Vivaldi - vol vii of violin concertos :

(tho' cheaper and more available at Presto, I think.)

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Is this the same performance that was on Naxos ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Is this the same performance that was on Naxos ?
          Yes - for some bizarre reason, it had seared itself into my memory that the NAXOS was conducted by Barbirolli, and this was a new discovery. My bad.

But have you seen this forthcoming boxed set:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Yes - for some bizarre reason, it had seared itself into my memory that the NAXOS was conducted by Barbirolli, and this was a new discovery. My bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-John-Ba.../dp/B07Z76LJPH
            Yes but I think I have most of these recordings in Dutton’s excellent Barbirolli in New York series .

My hope is the one day a recording of Ferrier and Walter’s Edinburgh Festival Das Lied is discovered.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-John-Ba.../dp/B07Z76LJPH
              Looks interesting but the scrooge in me makes me think £50 for 6 CDs inc some duplications is a little steep, £30 and I may go for it as a Barbarolli fan!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I was, of course, looking for music software, but I found this re-issue box set due out in March - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jukka-Pekka...s=music&sr=1-1

Sibleius conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste on 8 CDs for around £20.

Does anyone know what the performances are like?

Comment

• Pianoman
                  • Jan 2013

Pretty good actually, at least the ones I have on a budget Ultimate double of 3,6,7 with Kullervo on the other. Live if I remember but very idiomatic and well played.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Well if you really fancy a challenge......
                    Listen to Daan Vandewalle in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

....shaves nearly 10 minutes off the only other (BIS) recording.....lay in rations, hunker down....

There are two Finnish RSO/Saraste Sibelius Cycles. The RCA/Sony one reissued as above was the earlier studio set, largely preferred (in Gramophone) to the 1993 Live Cycle recorded across a few days in St.Petersburg, released on Finlandia. Neither reviewed especially well (RL etc), shown more respect than love or admiration....Saraste generally seen as a no-nonsense, somewhat un-atmospheric Sibelian....the St. Petersburg sound was singled out for criticism too.

Comment

• kea
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Well if you really fancy a challenge......
                      Listen to Daan Vandewalle in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

....shaves nearly 10 minutes off the only other (BIS) recording.....lay in rations, hunker down....
                      There is also a third recording (the premiere one) https://www.operacd.gr/27DFA4A6.en.aspx

Of the three, this newest recording comes closest to the composer's metronome marks, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Four years ago, Yannick Nézet-Séguin led concert performances of Mahler's 8th Symphony with the Philadelphia Orchestra to mark the centenary of the orchestra's giving the work its US premiere under Stokowski.

A recording based on those centenary concerts have just been released on DG:

Mahler - Symphony no.8 | Yannick Nézet-Séguin’s new Mahler recording marks a return to the core symphonic repertoire with the Philadelphia Orchestra.Gustav

(Has the Philadelphia Orchestra ever recorded the work before? There's a Stokowski recording, but with the NYPO.)

Comment

• Zucchini
                          • Nov 2010

Four years ago, Yannick Nézet-Séguin led concert performances of Mahler's 8th Symphony with the Phhhiladelphia Orchestra ...

A recording based on those centenary concerts have just been released on DG:
                          Mirga G-T conducts it tomorrow and Sunday at Symphony Hall with CBSO, its magnificent choruses & v strong cast of soloists.

Had thought DG might take the opportunity to try a recording. Oh dear. (Both nights long sold out).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

The soloists would be what decided me on buying a new recording of the work - I shall wait to hear reports/samples.

There may be mics in Birmingham - if it's taken four years for the Philadelphia event to reach to shops ...
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 23-01-20, 23:31.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Earlier today: Haydn/Antonini volume 8. Absolutely excellent.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

The oboe concertos here are CPE-B at his most sublime....
                                Listen to unlimited or download C.Ph.E. Bach : Oboe Concertos by Xenia Löffler in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Inter alia....Barokkanerne and Il Gardellino have done these beautifully, but with the AAMB on the scene you can never hear too many.....two of the best sinfonias as well....
                                Hope to try 2032-8 later, if I can cope with the fan heater switched off....

This looks fascinating too....
                                Listen to unlimited or download 'Tis too late to be wise' by Kitgut Quartet in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

... cute name, but then again.........how about "kidgut"?
                                Its all a bit graphic....
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-01-20, 21:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X