X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    While we wait for the work to appear on BIS, this morning's TtN had the 15th in a performance by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra under Mark Wigglesworth's baton. I have not listened to it yet but will once it appears in the iPlayer's Listen Again listing.
    Bryn

I see elsewhere you did not care for MW's Sydney Shostakovich 15. I'm hoping he records it with the Dutch band, as they seem to have a much better rapport. Like you I was quite underwhelmed by his Oz Mahler 10.

Speaking of DSCH 15, I listened to Petrenko's this morning.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Will Rattle's Bruckner 9 be worth a punt?

There aren't many 4 movement versions, and Rattle's may turn out to be as good as any.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Will Rattle's Bruckner 9 be worth a punt?

There aren't many 4 movement versions, and Rattle's may turn out to be as good as any.
        I heard this via the Digital Concert Hall performance from Berlin and was much impressed by the reading of the first three movements. I'm still too used to the symphony ending after the overwhelming third it's difficult to assess the reconstruction of the fourth, but I'm pretty sure Rattle's will turn out to be far better than any.

A review of a performance in NY

The two comments at the end (and authors' names, curiously alliterating) are worth reading!

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post

The two comments at the end (and authors' names, curiously alliterating) are worth reading!

... "Corinna da Fonseca-Wollheim" - quite a tasty moniker too.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Not much music in this - but here SR discusses the 4 movement version of Bruckner 9 - http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/con...nale-in-berlin

Also of very moderate interest is the length of the CD. SR suggests that the whole work lasts around 83 minutes - though maybe a few minutes/seconds have been shaved off in the recording.
            If it really is that long, then this CD is at the limits for length.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
              Bryn

Like you I was quite underwhelmed by his Oz Mahler 10.

By coincidence, I've just been listening to this in the car and I might not go as far as "quite" but definitely slightly underwhelmed (but then I'm so completely seduced by the sheer beauty of the VPO's playing that I can hardly see past the Daniel Harding version). When I saw MW conduct the Halle a few years ago, the hate vibes coming off the orchestra were almost tangible so I guess that rapport - or lack of it - with his players is a major factor in the end results. His Shostakovich 4th (with the Dutch band) is very fine - and there is a great concert conducted by him on the Dutch Radio version of BBC i-player of works written in the mid 1920s (Berg, Sibelius, Ravel etc).

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Also of very moderate interest is the length of the CD. SR suggests that the whole work lasts around 83 minutes - though maybe a few minutes/seconds have been shaved off in the recording.
                If it really is that long, then this CD is at the limits for length.
                Ordered. CD is 82.10

I have the Harnoncourt and have reservations about some of the finale (aesthetic ones) but couldn't resist as a Bruckner freak! Where does one find the Harding?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  By coincidence, I've just been listening to this in the car and I might not go as far as "quite" but definitely slightly underwhelmed (but then I'm so completely seduced by the sheer beauty of the VPO's playing that I can hardly see past the Daniel Harding version). When I saw MW conduct the Halle a few years ago, the hate vibes coming off the orchestra were almost tangible so I guess that rapport - or lack of it - with his players is a major factor in the end results. His Shostakovich 4th (with the Dutch band) is very fine - and there is a great concert conducted by him on the Dutch Radio version of BBC i-player of works written in the mid 1920s (Berg, Sibelius, Ravel etc).
                  HD, if you have not heard Wigglesworth's BBC Music Magazine cover disc of Mahler 10 (BBCNOW in Nottingham) do try and get hold of a copy. Far better than the more recent Oz recording and up there with Harding and Gielen.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Ordered. CD is 82.10

I have the Harnoncourt and have reservations about some of the finale (aesthetic ones) but couldn't resist as a Bruckner freak! Where does one find the Harding?
                    It is possible that some ageing CD plays will have a problem playing an 82' 10" disc but I see no insuperable barrier to most modern players being able to read at least up to 90 minute CDs. I have several overburn CD-Rs of that sort of duration and even a few of as long as 96 minutes (though the '99 minute' blank discs for those now seem rather harder to source). If it can be done with CD-Rs, why not with pressed CDs?

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                      Ordered. CD is 82.10

I think the reference to VPO/Harding is for Mahler 10 on DG. However, there's a concert performance floating around with Harding conducting his Swedish orchestra in the Bruckner 9 completion. Really not worth bothering with if you have Sir Simon on the way!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        ... there's a concert performance floating around with Harding conducting his Swedish orchestra in the Bruckner 9 completion. Really not worth bothering with if you have Sir Simon on the way!
                        It is of a slightly earlier version of the Samale et al finale, but I reckon it well worth seeking out. Harding's is an interesting performance, to my ears.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          It is possible that some ageing CD plays will have a problem playing an 82' 10" disc but I see no insuperable barrier to most modern players being able to read at least up to 90 minute CDs. I have several overburn CD-Rs of that sort of duration and even a few of as long as 96 minutes (though the '99 minute' blank discs for those now seem rather harder to source). If it can be done with CD-Rs, why not with pressed CDs?
                          Interesting. But how modern do the players have to be? My best one dates from 2002 (I hope to get it checked over fairly soon because it cost a lot at the time and I don't want to junk it.)

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                            Interesting. But how modern do the players have to be? My best one dates from 2002 (I hope to get it checked over fairly soon because it cost a lot at the time and I don't want to junk it.)
                            I have a couple of players from towards the end of the last century, and they each play my 96 minute overburn CD-R of Mahler 3 without problem. As I understand it, the spiral of digital pits is pitched more tightly on the overburn CD-Rs, so there is lower tolerance for the accuracy of the the laser tracking, so I guess wear and tear on an old transport might just present a problem.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

Benjamin Grosvenor plays Rhapsody in Blue. Decca: 4783527. Buy download online. Benjamin Grosvenor (piano) Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, James Judd

bank manager

Comment

Working...
                              X