X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Back on topic I'm now listening to Eliane Radigue's orchestral piece Occam Ocean 2. Aficionados will need no encouragement to hear this as soon as possible. It's just as beautiful as I was expecting it to be.
    Well , I gave this a listen the other night, and I confess that on first go it eventually defeated me.
    It is sonically beautiful, and there are fascinating things going on that I probably can’t describe. I did really enjoy the experience for about 20 mins, but gradually found myself wondering what I was going to gain further from another 25 mins.
    So I am probably missing something, or need more listening stamina, or just possibly, but very unlikely, the work is double the length it should be .

Any thoughts from others would be welcome, because I have a sense that I should persist with this.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• sgjames

An interesting upcoming issue of Ives Symphonies 3 & 4 with the SFSO and Tilson Thomas - almost
      30 years on from his CBS/Sony recordings of these pieces :

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I did really enjoy the experience for about 20 mins, but gradually found myself wondering what I was going to gain further from another 25 mins.
        So I am probably missing something, or need more listening stamina, or just possibly, but very unlikely, the work is double the length it should be .

Any thoughts from others would be welcome, because I have a sense that I should persist with this.
        It does keep on changing, though, and every change brings about (for me at least) an opening into a newly beautiful musical landscape, so it's not really "another 25 minutes" of the same thing... I didn't feel as if listening to it required any stamina at all. Something that attracts me to it immediately is the sense of auditory illusion - the music is being played by 30 or so instrumentalists without any electronic intervention, and yet most of the time it's difficult or impossible to attach what one hears to particular instruments or combinations. So as an achievement in purely orchestrational terms it's lightyears ahead of what most composers have done or are doing. Obviously it doesn't have any connection with traditional concepts of musical structure or material but instead gradually evolves like a natural process. Another thing that fascinates me is the way it alters one's perception of time, since there's nothing to give the listener a sense of scale. As far as I'm concerned it could have been twice as long.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

It does keep on changing, though, and every change brings about (for me at least) an opening into a newly beautiful musical landscape, so it's not really "another 25 minutes" of the same thing... I didn't feel as if listening to it required any stamina at all. Something that attracts me to it immediately is the sense of auditory illusion - the music is being played by 30 or so instrumentalists without any electronic intervention, and yet most of the time it's difficult or impossible to attach what one hears to particular instruments or combinations. So as an achievement in purely orchestrational terms it's lightyears ahead of what most composers have done or are doing. Obviously it doesn't have any connection with traditional concepts of musical structure or material but instead gradually evolves like a natural process. Another thing that fascinates me is the way it alters one's perception of time, since there's nothing to give the listener a sense of scale. As far as I'm concerned it could have been twice as long.
          Sounds like I need to hear this!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Thanks For your comments , very helpful as usual.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Bought the new Kolesnikov Chopin and Imogen Cooper recital -looking forward to them arriving.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Calling all Martinovians!
                Listen to unlimited or download DvoĹ™ák & MartinĹŻ : Piano Concertos by Ivo Kahánek in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Wow! Terrific new recording, one of the best I've heard, of a key Martinu masterpiece!

Comment

• kea
                  • Dec 2013

Karin Hellqvist: Flock. LAWO: LWC1179. Buy CD or download online. Karin Hellqvist

I'm generally a fan of Natasha Barrett's music and have also enjoyed all the Malin BĂĄng I've heard, so this seems quite worthwhile on first glance. I don't know any of the compositions.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
                    An interesting upcoming issue of Ives Symphonies 3 & 4 with the SFSO and Tilson Thomas - almost

https://www.warnerclassics.com/relea...honies-nos-3-4
                    I heard MTT conduct Ives 4 at the Barbican in the early 90s.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

This one comes out very soon

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by sgjames View Post

https://www.warnerclassics.com/relea...honies-nos-3-4
                        That's an album that I can't wait to hear. The San Francisco Symphony are playing marvellously, releasing some lovely recordings in the last few years.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I heard MTT conduct Ives 4 at the Barbican in the early 90s.
                          Me too. There was a festival of Ives including Hampson and Upshaw doing some of the songs (and Lieder)

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                            Me too. There was a festival of Ives including Hampson and Upshaw doing some of the songs (and Lieder)
                            I think you will find that the festival you mention had Andrew Davis in charge of the 4th Symphony. It also, mistakenly, included what was thought to be an ossia part for Theremin in the final movement. This was later found not to have been intended for the instrument commonly known as a Theremin but a later instrument the Theremin Ether Organ. It was otherwise a very fine performance indeed. I have the all the broadcasts from the festival transferred from cassettes to CD-R.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 09-10-19, 18:22. Reason: Editing error.

Comment

• silvestrione
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Bought the new Kolesnikov Chopin and Imogen Cooper recital -looking forward to them arriving.
                              The Imogen Cooper is lovely, a delight, evocative music an antidote to increasingly dark days!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Glorying in this the last few days...Alpha 24/96.....very fresh, vibrant, original presentation, notes here....
                                Listen to La tempête in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Comment

Working...
                                X