X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... wiki tells us :

"Columbia Records was acquired by CBS in 1938. In 1962, CBS launched CBS Records International to market Columbia recordings outside of North America, where the Columbia name was controlled by other entities. In 1966, CBS Records was made a separate subsidiary of Columbia Broadcasting System, Inc. CBS sold the CBS Records Group to Sony on November 17, 1987, initiating the Japanese buying spree of U.S. companies (such as MCA, Pebble Beach Co., Rockefeller Center and the Empire State Building) that continued into the 1990s. The record label company was rechristened Sony Music Entertainment in 1991, as Sony had a short term license on the CBS name.

Sony purchased from EMI its rights to the Columbia Records name outside the U.S., Canada, Spain and Japan. Sony now uses Columbia Records as a label name in all countries except Japan, where Sony Records remains their flagship label. Sony acquired the Spanish rights when Sony Music merged with Bertelsmann subsidiary BMG in 2004 as Sony BMG, co-owned by Sony and Bertelsmann; Sony bought out BMG's share in 2008. CBS Corporation formed a new record label named CBS Records in 2006."

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Thank you. Perhaps some confusion is justified after all!

I’ve seen Columbia 45rpm singles that had the EMI logo on the sleeve.

And there are RCA discs in this box too!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Ah, the delights of capitalist competition. One of my favourite anomalies concerns the original Boulez recording of Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum amd Couleurs de la Cité céleste which originally appeared in Europe on both the Erato (now owned by Warner) and CBS (now owned by Sony). The recording is still, I think. available from both Sony and Warner.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

RCA had the rights to the "Nipper" logo in the US for many years, so HMV had to market their releases there under the "Angel" label

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Verdi: Il Trovatore and Puccini: Tosca

Too many duplications as you will probably guess I have many Zubin CDs on my shelves, also most of my favoured recordings by him are on Decca, when he was on fire as a conductor in the 60s and 70s, as were Decca as a recording machine! None of my recordings are with the NPO, but his early recordings of Tosca and Il Trovatore were with the orchestra, I guess on RCA originally!
            Also on the Columbia question - Columbia recordings from the USA were on EMI Columbia here in the 40s and early 50s and then were on Phillips or Fontana over hear, meanwhile many British EMI recordings across genres were on the continuing Columbia label, including many pop artists such as Cliff Richard and the Shadows. Also RCA records in the early 50s were on the HMV label in the UK, from Toscanini to Elvis Presley!
            Last edited by cloughie; 18-09-19, 16:21.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I'm greatly looking forward to the complete Bruno Walter box from Sony out on October 18. This will be put aside as a Christmas present to self but should my employer come asking me what I want for a retirement present then this will do nicely!

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                I'm greatly looking forward to the complete Bruno Walter box from Sony out on October 18. This will be put aside as a Christmas present to self but should my employer come asking me what I want for a retirement present then this will do nicely!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MWXGC...ZLZSXA7N&psc=1
                Another of these temptation v duplication dilemmas.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Perhaps too expensive, except for those who haven’t already got any of Walter’s recordings. I haven’t got all the works in the box, but nevertheless a substantial proportion of the works included.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    A few duplicates for me but apart from the obvious Mahler, Beethoven and Mozart boxes most others were obtained second hand. However, I very much like the idea of the complete collection together in one box instead of scattered all over the place. If it's as good as the Szell box issued last year it will be well worth getting.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• kea
                      • Dec 2013

I think someone on here is a fan of this composer. I don't know anything by him personally. (edit: that is a lie, I know a piece for flautist and electronics from Richard Craig's album inward)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Out on Qobuz today.... a thrill of anticipation....

LSO Live is the London Symphony Orchestra’s own record label and uses the latest technology to capture the orchestra’s most exciting performances.

Listen to unlimited or download Schumann : Symphonies 2 & 4 - Genoveva (Overture) by John Eliot Gardiner in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

n.b.....the 1841 4th.......Couldn't play it yet because the Cat's asleep on the rug, between the chair and the speakers.....maybe at dawn....

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by kea View Post

I think someone on here is a fan of this composer. I don't know anything by him personally. (edit: that is a lie, I know a piece for flautist and electronics from Richard Craig's album inward)
                          I checked out some of his work when Richard B said he was a fan.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

That looks good
                            Richard is an amazing player , I don't know the others so something to investigate
                            thank s

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

I think someone on here is a fan of this composer.
                              Yes, I'm looking forward very much to hearing this. The performers are all excellent, and I think John Croft is one of the most thoughtful and original composers around these days.

Nothing shines out of this week's Qobuz new releases for me, but that's just as well since I have some serious catching up to do. A CD that's just arrived is a piano recital by Yehuda Inbar of unfinished sonatas by Schubert plus Schubert-related pieces by Finnissy and Widmann. The Finnissy is indeed a completion of the "Reliquie" sonata, although I dare say not a musicologically "faithful" one but essentially a new composition.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Good steer Nethersage, artist wise this set would fill more gaps in my collection than the DG.

Georges Solchany unfamiliar to me & seem to recall the Artemis quartets well reviewed. Good price too. Who will buy both?!
                                Still far too much duplication for me but the Warner Complete Beethoven has now dropped to around £80 (including p&p to the UK) from amazon.it.

Comment

Working...
                                X