X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... ah - thanks for flagging that up. I think vol 6 brings this particular series to a close :

Duly ordered!

Do you have all the rest, Vints? I have so much Telemann on my shelves already (including the bargain box 30 CD Sony set with so much treasure within) that I really wonder if I can justify any more! And because of his prolific output, I find it hard to discern what I have already in my collection.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Do you have all the rest, Vints? I have so much Telemann on my shelves already (including the bargain box 30 CD Sony set with so much treasure within) that I really wonder if I can justify any more! And because of his prolific output, I find it hard to discern what I have already in my collection.
      ... I know the feeling, Micky!

I think I have all the cpo discs :gulp emoticon:

But you must make space for the lovely CD which Richd: Barrett commended here recently :

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Telemann: stuff (overture, concertos) on an Alpha CD performed by Les Ambassadeurs. Absolutely exquisite especially the horn playing (by the Madeuf brothers) - I think forum member Tony would enjoy it a lot.
      Telemann - Overture & Concertos for Darmstadt | After the success of the Red, Yellow, Blue and Pink collections (a total of fifty-six reissues), which br

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Although I have seen it written that the main part of the movement was intended to evoke the then new industrial age, so it could conceivably have something to do with steam trains!
        You take the words out of my mouth: for me, it is the most terrifying picture of the machine in music (DSCH eat your heart out!) and intended as such. The evocation of steam trains seems not only apt, but necessary to expand the context of this music. If we accept psychological and spiritual illuminations of Bruckner's music, we must accept the physical world as well, both natural and man-made. And that pulverising mechanisation explains why the contrasted trio works so wonderfully well.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Although I have seen it written that the main part of the movement was intended to evoke the then new industrial age, so it could conceivably have something to do with steam trains!
          I was referring to the hoary old idea that "all Bruckner scherzos sound the same" which used to be applied in a clever-clever tone to the symphonies generally.

The problem with the steam-train analogy for the Bruckner 9th scherzo is that steam trains are now too familiar, olde-worlde culturally, not demonic or frightening at all... (and the rhythms are wrong in any case) .... which surely Bruckner's music is here, the demons/angels contrast vividly there in the trio. Yes, there is a metal-machine-music threat about it, but a more apt analogy would be found among sci-fi films like Metropolis or any number of the more recent Marvel or Star Wars series.........

Anyway this DCO Bremen Mozart Prom is sounding pretty demonic and heavenly itself... I'm off to pay it proper attention...
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-09-19, 20:03.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I was referring to the hoary old idea that "all Bruckner scherzos sound the same"
            Yes but we've got beyond that I think. On the other hand I think it's more appropriate in the present case to put oneself in the mind of someone born in 1824 and encountering steam trains, heavy industry etc. than to evoke 21st century superhero movies! (to which I give a wide berth anyway, so it wouldn't occur to me in the first place...) (not being snobbish, I just don't go for that kind of thing)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Yes but we've got beyond that I think. On the other hand I think it's more appropriate in the present case to put oneself in the mind of someone born in 1824 and encountering steam trains, heavy industry etc. than to evoke 21st century superhero movies! (to which I give a wide berth anyway, so it wouldn't occur to me in the first place...) (not being snobbish, I just don't go for that kind of thing)
              Point taken obviously, but the 9th scherzo seems very fantastical music to me, as in many ways does the whole symphony, inhabiting a startlingly remote, almost alien musical universe compared to the ones that came before... (though you perhaps get a glimpse of it in the 8th's 1st movement development and climax...)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I know I do! They're not all equally good in terms of performance, especially the "Grand Concertos" series in my opinion, and I'm not entirely sure about the need to include two of the Tafelmusik concertos on vol.6 although actually they're so well played I don't mind. Only two of the pieces on the disc were previously unknown to me, but the Sinfonia Melodica is of special interest, having been written in 1766 and thus being one of Telemann's last works (Haydn had written thirty-odd symphonies by then!)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

the 9th scherzo seems very fantastical music to me, as in many ways does the whole symphony, inhabiting a startlingly remote, almost alien musical universe compared to the ones that came before... (though you perhaps get a glimpse of it in the 8th's 1st movement development and climax...)
                  Undoubtedly.

Comment

• kea
                    • Dec 2013

Point taken obviously, but the 9th scherzo seems very fantastical music to me, as in many ways does the whole symphony, inhabiting a startlingly remote, almost alien musical universe compared to the ones that came before... (though you perhaps get a glimpse of it in the 8th's 1st movement development and climax...)
                    On my first exposure I thought it sounded like the score to Star Wars, and specifically the Imperial March. Although I'm guessing Bruckner was not directly influenced by John Williams.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

... I know the feeling, Micky!

But you must make space for the lovely CD which Richd: Barrett commended here recently :

Telemann - Overture & Concertos for Darmstadt | After the success of the Red, Yellow, Blue and Pink collections (a total of fifty-six reissues), which br

Thank you - my goodness, it is also something of an impossible task to keep up with all the good things coming from the Alpha label.
                      I was rather hoping that the Darmstadt works would be the same as those that I already have on the excellent Harnoncourt set, but no, these are different pieces, so must be had!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

This (posted on another thread as well)

Is new and worth a listen

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          This (posted on another thread as well)

Is new and worth a listen
                          Very Birmingham isn't it?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Coming soon on the "All That Dust" label:

Scheduled for mid-October release. CDs or downloads.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

The forthcoming 80 CD Complete Beethoven from Warner for under £100 looks to be an attractive option for those who do not already have most of the recordings which comprise it. Incomplete listing here.

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                The forthcoming 80 CD Complete Beethoven from Warner for under £100 looks to be an attractive option for those who do not already have most of the recordings which comprise it. Incomplete listing here.
                                Good steer Nethersage, artist wise this set would fill more gaps in my collection than the DG.

Georges Solchany unfamiliar to me & seem to recall the Artemis quartets well reviewed. Good price too. Who will buy both?!

Comment

Working...
                                X