X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei

Am51

It's a hybrid SACD, so it has a CD layer that will play on your CD player.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      Am51

It's a hybrid SACD, so it has a CD layer that will play on your CD player.
      Many thanks Mahlerei

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I see that Kempe's Beethoven 5,6,& 9 with the Munich PO are to appear on EMI Red Line in May. An odd set of releases when you look at some of the others .

I do think they miss a trick in not having a label like Australian Eloquence .
        I think you're right there - let's hope the rest of the MunPO Kempe Beethoven set comes our way!

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          The performance of The War Requiem I treasure most came out on BBC Legends. The main forces are the New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini. Soloists Stefania Woytowicz, Peter Pears and Hans Wilbrink and the Melos Ensemble are conducted by Benjamin Britten himself and are all very good. The Wandsworth Boys Choir are the best of any I have heard in this work. The performance is very dramatic and captures the power and the space of that wonderful evening (not a Prom) in the Albert Hall. It demonstrates very clearly what BBC sound engineers were achieving in the 1960s and 70s and where they should be aiming now after last year's very mixed bag at the Proms. It is still available for £11 at Presto. Along with Britten's own recording it is a must have.
          Thank you for this steer - the War Requiem is a work I admire more than I like and I feel I really must persevere with it. Giulini is a conductor whose work is well represented in my collection (until he decamped to Sony) and I was not aware of the existence of this recording. It therefore seems a good place to try again. Duly ordered from a marketplace seller for £3.25!

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I think you're right there - let's hope the rest of the MunPO Kempe Beethoven set comes our way!
            I really don't understand why EMI hasn't reissued the whole Kempe/ Munich cycle. It would be perfect for one of their Icon boxes.
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
              I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's reviewed by yours truly in May's IRR.
              Thanks for the information - I haven't previously bought IRR - perhaps I will on this occaision !

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

I really don't understand why EMI hasn't reissued the whole Kempe/ Munich cycle. It would be perfect for one of their Icon boxes.
                If you have deep pockets...... sorry, very deep pockets....... they'll be too deep to get the money out.

Die SACD Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonien Nr.1-9 jetzt portofrei für 199,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Ludwig van Beethoven gibt es im Shop.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I see that Universal/Decca are marketing a complete Beethoven symphony set in the way they would usually do a sampler!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Was available on Disky briefly!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I see that Universal/Decca are marketing a complete Beethoven symphony set in the way they would usually do a sampler!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Fo...280921&sr=1-18
                      Surely the "FOR ALL" is there as a reference to the East West Divan Orchestra's ethos and composition?
                      Last edited by Bryn; 24-04-12, 19:01. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Three new releases announced by Matchless Recordings:

Volume 2 of Feldman's Music for Piano and Strings (Audio DVD - that's DVDV standard, not DVDA) John Tilbury | Smith Quartet members

Impossibility in its purest form (CD) Eddie Prévost | Sebastian Lexer | Seymour Wright

All Told (CD) Eddie Prévost | Evan Parker | John Edwards

All three now ordered.

[Actually I already have the recording of one of the items on the Feldman DVD (in the form of a near 90 minute overburn CD) from an earlier stage in its editing. It's Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello and the performance is pure magic. I am very much looking forward to listening to Cooper and Tilbury's performance of Patterns in a Chromatic Field. How will it compare with the Deforce/Oya and the Curtis/Karis? I regret to say I have never heard the de Saram/Schroeder.]
                        Last edited by Bryn; 27-04-12, 20:06.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Blow me, here's a personal first. In the middle of CD Review this morning I've pre-ordered a disc! The Andras Steier Diabelli Var's (Beethoven's of course but also others from D's published anthology) on a contemporary fortepiano with lots of bells and whistles like a Janissary 'stop' it sounded absolutely wonderful, and revelatory on what 'special effects' noises LvB might reasonably have expected on the fp's of his time.

The good news on the pre-order is that the disc is out tomorrow so not too much wait
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Blow me, here's a personal first. In the middle of CD Review this morning I've pre-ordered a disc! The Andras Steier Diabelli Var's (Beethoven's of course but also others from D's published anthology) on a contemporary fortepiano with lots of bells and whistles like a Janissary 'stop' it sounded absolutely wonderful, and revelatory on what 'special effects' noises LvB might reasonably have expected on the fp's of his time.

The good news on the pre-order is that the disc is out tomorrow so not too much wait
                            A year or so ago I downloaded from a Czech (IIRC) radio station an mp3 of a live performance of much the same programme as is on the CD. Very fine indeed. I have been hoping to find the CD at a price more competitive than the £11 including p&p at hmv.com, but without luck, so have just placed an order with said supplier.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

This Mahler set seems good value (about £1.50) per CD, though it's pehaps much better for anyone who hasn't already got most of these pieces and/or recordings - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gustav-Mahle...d_rhf_ee_shvl1
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 13-05-12, 10:52.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                                bryn

These days they release these things quite a while before the disc. And yes, I'd forgotten about 15.
                                While we wait for the work to appear on BIS, this morning's TtN had the 15th in a performance by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra under Mark Wigglesworth's baton. I have not listened to it yet but will once it appears in the iPlayer's Listen Again listing.

Comment

Working...
                                X