X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulT
    • Nov 2010

Far behind? Probably not I guess. Didn't realise there was a Universal Complete Karajan running to 330 CD, 24 DVD and 2 BluRay Audio so I suppose a Complete Bernie could be on the cards.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
      Far behind? Probably not I guess. Didn't realise there was a Universal Complete Karajan running to 330 CD, 24 DVD and 2 BluRay Audio so I suppose a Complete Bernie could be on the cards.
      I am not a particular 'fan' of Karajan, but when Brown's Books offered the big DG/DECCA box for £178.44 plus £1.26 p&p, around 13 months ago, I just could not resist. I think others here also jumped at the short-lived opportunity.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
        Is there going to be a Haitink complete recordings box? Do you know something I don't?
        Not as yet, just attempting to work out the devious ways of the record companies to make us part with our money. The re-issue of the Bruckner and Mahler sets conforms to previous practise in that once some time has elapsed the very same discs appear in a complete big box leaving punters with buying them twice (or even three or four times, if they bought the LPs, original CD issue, interim box and finally, big box). This happened with Karajan, Jochum and Kubelik. I'm surprised not to have seen a complete Böhm yet but give it time. Logic says that a complete Haitink should happen.

The silly thing is I might actually take the bait with the Bruckner and Mahler sets, despite having all of the latter and most of the former
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

One wonders sometimes if there are eyes in certain places on these boards.

Following my recent and regular championing of Stolcer-Slavenski:

Just released - Springtime In Yugoslavia (8.2.19)

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2..._In_Yugoslavia

Three Decca albums issued complete, including a first release on CD for the Simfonija Orijenta, a monument of Yugoslavian musical modernism.

The original vinyl release from the 1950s is here:

(Next up - Lourie's Concerto Spirituale?……..please, please, please...….thanks in advance!).

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Have you managed to find any more details of the Springtime in Yugoslavia CD(s)?

I assume that the Eloquence issue is new, or relatively so, and not "simply" a re-release of a 1950s LP on CD.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Have you managed to find any more details of the Springtime in Yugoslavia CD(s)?

I assume that the Eloquence issue is new, or relatively so, and not "simply" a re-release of a 1950s LP on CD.
              Go to www.eloquenceclassics.com and type Yugoslavia into the search facility on their home page. It’s a 2CD repackaging of the 1955 Decca issues with François Huybrechts’s early 70s LPO Janáček LP thrown in for good measure

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                Go to www.eloquenceclassics.com and type Yugoslavia into the search facility on their home page. It’s a 2CD repackaging of the 1955 Decca issues with François Huybrechts’s early 70s LPO Janáček LP thrown in for good measure
                A forthcoming release for 15th March.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Hi Lat-Literal.
                  Roughly when were you posting about this release - and was it on this thread? **

BTW Presto have a sale of Eloquence CDs at the moment - it doesn't seem to be listed but the end date is after the release date so maybe it will be included.

**Not for want of trying to find out for myself. I've searched several key words against your name using Advanced search and it brings up nothing. That is typical of the search facility which I usually find no use at all. It used to be possible to use Google Advanced to search against our web address and key word and that actually yielded results. But now there seems to be a blanket block on that. (And, Lat-L, you range over so many threads with many posts, it would be a needle in a haystack on your"Recent Posts" listing). Its often frustrating trying to track down furthr details elaborating on the reasons for poster's enthusiastic appreciation of recordings, etc.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                    Hi Lat-Literal.
                    Roughly when were you posting about this release - and was it on this thread? **

BTW Presto have a sale of Eloquence CDs at the moment - it doesn't seem to be listed but the end date is after the release date so maybe it will be included.

**Not for want of trying to find out for myself. I've searched several key words against your name using Advanced search and it brings up nothing. That is typical of the search facility which I usually find no use at all. It used to be possible to use Google Advanced to search against our web address and key word and that actually yielded results. But now there seems to be a blanket block on that. (And, Lat-L, you range over so many threads with many posts, it would be a needle in a haystack on your"Recent Posts" listing). Its often frustrating trying to track down furthr details elaborating on the reasons for poster's enthusiastic appreciation of recordings, etc.
                    See #1987. Look on new and forthcoming releases on the Eloquence site.

Three Decca albums issued complete, including a first release on CD for the ‘Simfonija Orijenta’, a monument of Yugoslavian musical modernism and François Huybrechts’s poetic ‘Taras Bulba’ from his Janáček disc. This release forms an important appendix to the Eloquence reissues of the seven Russian opera recordings made by Decca with the company of the Belgrade […]

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

I meant Lat-Litt's comments about the recording. So I searched the artist names, the country, composers, label even - and variants of them and drew a complete blank.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                        Hi Lat-Literal.

Hello Cockney Sparrow - I don't think I have posted on Slavenski on this thread before. There is a list somewhere on the forum of music that I would have wanted to see on CD. I'm pretty sure it was on a thread containing suggestions from several people. Anyhow, I probably put him on that list. But I have also posted clips on "What Are You Listening to Now". Possibly "Balkanophonia" which I have on disc with "The Legend of Ohrid" by Hristic and certainly on two or three occasions with great enthusiasm "Religiophonia, "Simfonija orijenta"".

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

I've been so busy today that I've only just got around to looking at Qobuz's weekly new-release update. A few interesting things to investigate:

Haydn - Piano Sonatas, with Kristian Bezuidenhout (Harmonia Mundi). I've just put this on, sounds pretty good so far.
                          Bernd Alois Zimmermann - Violin Concerto, Photoptosis and the Suite from Die Soldaten, with Hannu Lintu and the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra (Ondine), no doubt another excellent addition to their series of recordings of late 20th century music. Very few conductor/orchestra/label combinations seem to be taking this kind of repertoire seriously and with as much care as these people.
                          Worth giving a chance probably: Emmanuel Nunes, Minnesang and Musivus, WDR-Sinfonieorchester and Emilio Pomarico. Generally I find EN's music goes on somewhat, without any reason I can discern, but in other ways it's "the sort of thing I like" so I shall have to give it a listen.

While I'm here I want to mention again the fairly recent Brahms Violin Sonatas with Leila Schayegh (Glossa), my revelation of the year so far.

Comment

• ostuni
                            • Nov 2010

I dipped into Bezuidenhout's Haydn earlier today, and will certainly give it a proper hearing soon. If you’re accessing it via Qobuz, there's a very interesting booklet essay by B himself explaining his approach to performing these works.

And, to change the mood and scale in a big way, I'm very much looking forward to the latest Mahler (3) from F-X Roth and the Gürzenich, also on Qobuz's new releases page.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Re. Sarah Walker on the (fairly) new Fidelio Trio recording of trios by Fauré, Chausson and Satie (arr. White). Naughty Sarah. She should really have declared an interest. She does, after all, play in a piano duo with John White (WW!!, by name). That said, White's love for Satie's music is long established. I cannot recommend too strongly his own recordings of a selction of Satie pieces:

Last edited by Bryn; 22-02-19, 18:19. Reason: Typos

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... vol 7 of the Antonini/Basel Haydn :

Comment

Working...
                                X