• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
    Actually, the announcement says they are "with this disc only one — the last — symphony away from Mark Wigglesworth's completion of the ... cycle".
    It was Mahlerei I was ribbing, Dublinjimbo, not the authors of the page he linked to.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Oddly enough BIS have nearly always mastered their SACDs as 24/44.1, Robert von Bahr (on the Computer Audiophile forum I think) even told HDTracks that their prices should reflect this and not be similar to 24/96 files. Recent exceptions are Vanska's new Sibelius 5 (24/96) and Claus Peter Flor's MPO Dvorak 7 at 24/48. Remember their CDs in the 80s/90s with the red warnings on them about uncompressed dynamics? Probably my favourite label.
      Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      Believe me, you'd never guess. Ditto Aho's chamber symphonies.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Oddly enough BIS have nearly always mastered their SACDs as 24/44.1, Robert von Bahr (on the Computer Audiophile forum I think) even told HDTracks that their prices should reflect this and not be similar to 24/96 files. Recent exceptions are Vanska's new Sibelius 5 (24/96) and Claus Peter Flor's MPO Dvorak 7 at 24/48. Remember their CDs in the 80s/90s with the red warnings on them about uncompressed dynamics? Probably my favourite label.
        Yes indeed. And you should see some of the vitriol directed at him on other forums, where some audiophiles seem to think the numbers are all-important. Do try the DSCH 1-3.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I am most intriogued by those Aho Chamber Symphonies, JLW?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I am most intriogued by those Aho Chamber Symphonies, JLW?
            Well I guess they can seem tough nuts at first, but there are enough moments of sheer poetry in nos. 2 and 3 especially to keep me at least going back for more. Lovely alto sax in 3. And (on 24/44.1) I've simply never heard a better recording of a string orchestra - transparent to the sometimes busy textures but extraordinarily smooth and clean - not a trace of those all-too-familiar stinging highs. Titles in No.3 like "I have heard the wild geese calling" and "the long nights are melting", "towards the open sea rows a fire-red boat"; shimmering, eerily atmospheric counterpoints... dramatic contrasts between frantic bursts of energy and profound stillness; the sax seems to be imitating, or evoking, distant geese at one point. Nothing like Cantus Arcticus though!

Comment

• DublinJimbo
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              the sax seems to be imitating, or evoking, distant geese at one point. Nothing like Cantus Arcticus though!
              Ah, dear old Cantus Arcticus. I'd really love to experience a live performance some time. What's the story with the tape? Do concert promoters apply for a performance copy? Does the score include technical instructions for tape reproduction? I have two recordings (Ondine and Naxos) and still can't decide why they sound so different.

p.s. Meant to say: I agree with you about the Aho Chamber Symphonies. Definitely, the 3rd is the most immediately appealing, but I'm coming to grips with the other two with each hearing.
              p.p.s. Also meant to say: Are you familiar with Anders Koppel's Quintet for mezzo-sax and strings? The sound world is close enough to Aho 3.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

What on earth are they playing this for in the New Releases opening to CD Review on 14 April?

RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major; Piano Concerto for the Left Hand
                DEBUSSY: Fantaisie for Piano and Orchestra
                MASSENET: Valse Folle; Papillons blancs; Papillons noirs; Eau courante; Eau dormante; Toccata
                Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano), BBC Symphony Orchestra, Yan Pascal Tortelier (conductor)
                CHANDOS CHSA5084 (Hybrid SACD)

It was played by AMcG during last summer, and contrasted with the new Boulez-Aimard release. Why is it cropping up again!?!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  What on earth are they playing this for in the New Releases opening to CD Review on 14 April?

RAVEL: Piano Concerto in G major; Piano Concerto for the Left Hand
                  DEBUSSY: Fantaisie for Piano and Orchestra
                  MASSENET: Valse Folle; Papillons blancs; Papillons noirs; Eau courante; Eau dormante; Toccata
                  Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (piano), BBC Symphony Orchestra, Yan Pascal Tortelier (conductor)
                  CHANDOS CHSA5084 (Hybrid SACD)

It was played by AMcG during last summer, and contrasted with the new Boulez-Aimard release. Why is it cropping up again!?!

Oh... winner of a BBC Music Magazine award...

I was going to say, I've owned the Tenebrae Victoria disc for the best part of a year as well - that's a "New Release" after BAL too....
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• AmpH
                    • Feb 2012

Britten - War Requiem

Link to recording of this wonderful work from last October, due for release shortly at reasonable pre release price.

Based on reports from a couple of friends who attended and a number of positive reviews I am looking forward to this recording very much.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                      Britten - War Requiem

Link to recording of this wonderful work from last October, due for release shortly at reasonable pre release price.

Based on reports from a couple of friends who attended and a number of positive reviews I am looking forward to this recording very much.
                      Noseda isn't the first name that springs to mind in connection with Britten so I will be keen to see what others think. I've always hankered after an LSO/Colin Davis 2004 Prom to be issued but so far without any luck. A performance I once heard at the Barbican (BBCSO/Slatkin) was marred by a disgraceful display of audience coughing.
                      Last edited by Petrushka; 14-04-12, 20:20.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• AmpH
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Noseda isn't the first name that springs to mind in connection with Britten si I will be keen to see what others think. I've always hankered after an LSO/Colin Davis 2004 Prom to be issued but so far without any luck. A performance I once heard at the Barbican (BBCSO/Slatkin) was marred by a disgraceful display of audience coughing.
                        I know what you mean regarding Noseda , Petrushka , but it is often the case that conductors not from these shores produce excellent performances / recordings of British music. For my part, the best performance I have heard of this work was at Symphony Hall Birmingham in 2009 with Pappano conducting the RoH Orch etc with soloists Bell / Bostridge / Keenlyside , but I don't suppose it will ever be released.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I see that Kempe's Beethoven 5,6,& 9 with the Munich PO are to appear on EMI Red Line in May. An odd set of releases when you look at some of the others .

I do think they miss a trick in not having a label like Australian Eloquence .

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Noseda isn't the first name that springs to mind in connection with Britten so I will be keen to see what others think. I've always hankered after an LSO/Colin Davis 2004 Prom to be issued but so far without any luck. A performance I once heard at the Barbican (BBCSO/Slatkin) was marred by a disgraceful display of audience coughing.
                            The performance of The War Requiem I treasure most came out on BBC Legends. The main forces are the New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini. Soloists Stefania Woytowicz, Peter Pears and Hans Wilbrink and the Melos Ensemble are conducted by Benjamin Britten himself and are all very good. The Wandsworth Boys Choir are the best of any I have heard in this work. The performance is very dramatic and captures the power and the space of that wonderful evening (not a Prom) in the Albert Hall. It demonstrates very clearly what BBC sound engineers were achieving in the 1960s and 70s and where they should be aiming now after last year's very mixed bag at the Proms. It is still available for £11 at Presto. Along with Britten's own recording it is a must have.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                              Britten - War Requiem

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's reviewed by yours truly in May's IRR.
                              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                                I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's reviewed by yours truly in May's IRR.
                                I look forward to reading that, IGI

A question from a technopeasant: will I be able to play it on my ordinary CD-player? (and hear it, for preference )

Comment

Working...
                                X