X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Me too - in the sense that if he writes an unfavourable review of something I'm almost sure to like it, and vice versa, I find his recommendations highly reliable.
    ... yep, Hurwitz and B O'Hanlon both very reliable.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I think you will find that the content of that disc, plus all the other Mendelssohn concertos, is on this disc. I got is a decade ago, and it's very good. No surround sound, just lots of 2 channel stereo.
      No, the older recording is on modern instruments, this new, second version from Brautigam is HIP.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        No, the older recording is on modern instruments, this new, second version from Brautigam is HIP.
        Not the one linked to by jlw, to which I was responding. That was on modern instruments, as was recognised in jlw's response in #1875.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Me too - in the sense that if he writes an unfavourable review of something I'm almost sure to like it, and vice versa, I find his recommendations highly reliable.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Not the one linked to by jlw, to which I was responding. That was on modern instruments, as was recognised in jlw's response in #1875.
            Well, in any case, the new HIP one is out on CD in France this week on 7th December. I've already pre-ordered it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Yeah, but as the inlay makes clear on the reverse, it is strictly SACD-only, not a hybrid & unplayable on mere redbook machines. So not much use to me.....

The earlier one is on Qobuz but I can't see the new one yet....
              https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/me.../7318590007181
              That is weird to be issuing SACD only versions. I love SACDs but that was one of the problems when the format first appeared. Some discs were SACD only and unknowing buyers who couldn’t play them became upset. It wasn’t the only reason that the format didn’t attain universal popularity but it was a contributing factor. Since most of the expense of issuing SACDs is due to paying the DSD liscensing fee and not due to actual manufacture of the disc, one wonders what BIS is thinking in consciously replicating a mistake from 15 years ago.
              Mendelssohn’s PCs have never clicked with me, either in Concert or on disc. They sound like his Piano Trios rendered for Orchestra. Does Bautigan play a period Piano?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

The point of the Mendelssohn Concertos SACD is that it holds over 6 hours of at least CD quality music on a single disc. I don't think BIS released other similar SACDs.

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

The point of the Mendelssohn Concertos SACD is that it holds over 6 hours of at least CD quality music on a single disc. I don't think BIS released other similar SACDs.
                  Hans Fagius Bach on five single layer SACDs as a set. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=3072

edit: Actually, they're all listed in this old article:

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                    Hans Fagius Bach on five single layer SACDs as a set. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=3072

edit: Actually, they're all listed in this old article:

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue41/sacd.htm
                    Thanks for that. Looks like I should have said 6 LP's worth, not over 6 hours. Wish I could find where I 'filed' the Mendelssohn.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      That is weird to be issuing SACD only versions. I love SACDs but that was one of the problems when the format first appeared. Some discs were SACD only and unknowing buyers who couldn’t play them became upset. It wasn’t the only reason that the format didn’t attain universal popularity but it was a contributing factor. Since most of the expense of issuing SACDs is due to paying the DSD liscensing fee and not due to actual manufacture of the disc, one wonders what BIS is thinking in consciously replicating a mistake from 15 years ago.
                      Mendelssohn’s PCs have never clicked with me, either in Concert or on disc. They sound like his Piano Trios rendered for Orchestra. Does Bautigan play a period Piano?
                      The new CD, which I posted yesterday, features a copy of an 1830 Pleyel instrument. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Up to now I've always been a fan of the old Christopher Kite/Hanover Band recording, but that only gives you the first concerto.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Just started to sample this....
                        Listen to Chiaroscuro Quartet in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

yet more, radically wonderful Schubert!...and it did sound just as sensational as this month's G. review suggests (meticulous AFC "troubled by some details, however"); why waste your time with those attention-seeking Amazon Reviewers..?... more later from me (attention-seeking? Never! ), I hope...

{erratum: AFC's comments were about the Van Kuijk Qt.'s d810 - apologies; RW (G., 11/18) had no such reservations about the stunning Chiaroscuros...!)
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-12-18, 09:11.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Just started to sample this....
                          Listen to Chiaroscuro Quartet in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

yet more, radically wonderful Schubert!...and it did sound just as sensational as this month's G. review suggests (meticulous AFC "troubled by some details, however"); why waste your time with those attention-seeking Amazon Reviewers..?... more later from me (attention-seeking? Never! ), I hope...
                          Listened to just Death and the Maiden , ( keeping the rest for a day off work tomorrow), and I’m not too troubled by the details since those I picked up on were part of a pretty sensational recording.

Extreme seems right, but in a really confident and thought through way. And the brilliance and accuracy of the playing really is something.
                          Thanks for flagging this up, Jayne. A great service you provide on new releases.

( another poor CD cover though, sadly. Don’t their designers check out what is going on in, say, the book world ? The standards there are terrifying high ).
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 03-12-18, 00:06.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Listened to just Death and the Maiden , ( keeping the rest for a day off work tomorrow), and I’m not too troubled by the details since those I picked up on were part of a pretty sensational recording.

Extreme seems right, but in a really confident and thought through way. And the brilliance and accuracy of the playing really is something.
                            Thanks for flagging this up, Jayne. A great service you provide on new releases.

( another poor CD cover though, sadly. Don’t their designers check out what is going on in, say, the book world ? The standards there are terrifying high ).
                            No disrespect to Jayne but it features in more than one “CDs of the Year” list and, if I may be forgiven the immodesty, I extolled its virtues on, I see, 3 October when eclassical made it available as a download.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              ( another poor CD cover though, sadly. Don’t their designers check out what is going on in, say, the book world ? The standards there are terrifying high )
                              But not, perhaps, as concerns publishers operating on the same kinds of budgets as a small CD label in 2018 where the margins are terrifyingly low!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

But not, perhaps, as concerns publishers operating on the same kinds of budgets as a small CD label in 2018 where the margins are terrifyingly low!
                                We work on very tight margins indeed, on costings that allow for very modest sales numbers. Those numbers I would suggest aren't far from what record companies budget for. It isn't unusual to publish a book that will turn a small but acceptable profit on 1000/1500 copies. And we manage to produce some terrific book covers, that often stand up well to those of much bigger outfits. Budgets are a big help of course, but imagination and research into the market go a long way to helping produce a good product.

Edit: Just to flesh this out,( and I'm not claiming that all of our covers are wonderful) decisions on covers , at least for us, involve a wide range of considerations. Other costs in the project, projected sales, likely market, time constraints, where the book sits in the market, current fashions ( or is that styles ?!) are just a few. and sometimes the cheapest option , or path of least resistance is taken.
                                Last edited by teamsaint; 03-12-18, 11:51.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X