X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

​New Release of the Day!...(another one for ts on his travels...)

Schubert
    Symphonies 1 & 6. B'Rock Orchestra**/Rene Jacobs. Pentatone 24/96 via Qobuz Studio Stream.

Outrageous LOL 6th from a conductor who never fails to shake it up, needs far more words than I can give it here (short of sleep...).
    Jacobs really milks it for all the extremes of tempi and dynamics, aggression and showmanship, balletic grace and Rossinian charm and comedy. If Norrington gives you cold sweats, this might give you panic attacks, but that would be a shame given a finale that almost made me fall off my chair giggling.

Among many features - winds are all over there on the right, higher strings ​over here on the left, (but basses crossing the floor) with timps crashing out at you from the centre. The big moments in the middle movements have a marvellously crunchy, earthy impact, the string winds brass textures rejoicingly clear. Jacobs own extremely detailed movement-by-movement notes are extraordinary too - I never noticed the similarity between the 6th's scherzo and that of Beethoven 1 before...(doh! any fool can see that etc.)...

No.1? Well, what do you expect? A Startling Schubertian Garden of Delights!
    Just one of the most wonderful Schubert albums I've ever heard, once again the familiar made shockingly new. But I'm never happier than when I listen to early Schubert Symphonies (those vast expositions and tiny, dutiful developments...!) so...so much to say so little time, Deserves a thread to itself really, never mind Currentzis...

**Buh-róck? Bee-Rock? (Wiki says latter, but surely not...)
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-11-18, 10:43.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      ​New Release of the Day!...(another one for ts on his travels...)

Schubert
      Symphonies 1 & 6. B'Rock Orchestra**/Rene Jacobs. Pentatone 24/96 via Qobuz Studio Stream.

Outrageous LOL 6th from a conductor who never fails to shake it up, needs far more words than I can give it here (short of sleep...).
      Jacobs really milks it for all the extremes of tempi and dynamics, aggression and showmanship, balletic grace and Rossinian charm and comedy. If Norrington gives you cold sweats, this might give you panic attacks, but that would be a shame given a finale that almost made me fall off my chair giggling.

Among many features - winds are all over there on the right, higher strings ​over here on the left, (but basses crossing the floor) with timps crashing out at you from the centre. The big moments in the middle movements have a marvellously crunchy, earthy impact, the string winds brass textures rejoicingly clear. Jacobs own extremely detailed movement-by-movement notes are extraordinary too - I never noticed the similarity between the 6th's scherzo and that of Beethoven 1 before...(doh! any fool can see that etc.)...

No.1? Well, what do you expect? A Startling Schubertian Garden of Delights!
      Just one of the most wonderful Schubert albums I've ever heard, once again the familiar made shockingly new. But I'm never happier than when I listen to early Schubert Symphonies (those vast expositions and tiny, dutiful developments...!) so...so much to say so little time, Deserves a thread to itself really, never mind Currentzis...

**Buh-róck? Bee-Rock? (Wiki says latter, but surely not...)
      For those not allergic to downloading, it's currently available (for around £8.00) from eclassical.com:

On his first album released on PENTATONE, multiple prizewinning conductor René Jacobs finally records Schubert, his first great musical love. Jacobs delivers his fresh perspective

As is :

24 FLAC Discount Violinist Gottfried von der Goltz at the head of the Freiburger Barockorchester performs Corelli's Concerti Grossi, true hits of the baroque repertoire.

Slightly more expensive (a shade under £10) but most enjoyable - bigger-sounding band than Amandine Beyer but wonderfully virtuosic playing to enjoy.
      Last edited by HighlandDougie; 09-11-18, 13:47.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        For those not allergic to downloading, it's currently available (for around £8.00) from eclassical.com:

On his first album released on PENTATONE, multiple prizewinning conductor René Jacobs finally records Schubert, his first great musical love. Jacobs delivers his fresh perspective

As is :

Slightly more expensive (a shade under £10) but most enjoyable - bigger-sounding band than Amandine Beyer but wonderfully virtuosic playing to enjoy.
        Oops. You appear to have posted the same link twice.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Oops. You appear to have posted the same link twice.
          Oops, indeed. Thanks, Bryn. Correct link inserted.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

New releases I've saved on Qobuz for listening to in the coming days:

Lutosławski Symphonies 1 & 4, Jeux vénitiens, with the Finnish Radio orchestra conducted by Hannu Lintu (Ondine), a combination with many excellent recent discs of 20th century music to their name (I'm not keen on this composer but maybe this is the recording to change my mind);

Telemann, chamber music with trumpet and horn, by Ensemble Eolus (Ricercar);

Schubert, "Unfinished" Symphony (a 4 movement version!), plus some songs in orchestral arrangements by Brahms and Webern, with the Concentus Musicus Wien conducted by Stefan Gottfried.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

A very effusive review from JLW of Jacobs in Schubert, I look forward to hearing it. The use of the adjective 'earthy' is one that I always use for The Hanover Band's recordings for Nimbus. Will be interested to hear how Jacobs compares with their version of the 6th.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                . . . Schubert, "Unfinished" Symphony (a 4 movement version!), plus some songs in orchestral arrangements by Brahms and Webern, with the Concentus Musicus Wien conducted by Stefan Gottfried.
                Though only one movement, the third, requiring 'completion' by other hands (Salame and Cohrs).

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Though only one movement, the third, requiring 'completion' by other hands (Salame and Cohrs).
                  Indeed.

I haven't looked at the liner notes yet. I wonder if the CMW uses early 20th century instruments for Webern's arrangements... will they be performing his Symphony next?

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Not so much of a new release, rather than the reappearance of an old friend - a remastered version of the classic 1983 recording "Les Nations" by Couperin, featuring a stellar line up of baroque musicians: Huggett, Preston, Bianchini, Koopman, Savall etc. Heard some extracts on France Musique this morning - it still holds its own and sounds even better than before.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

The commemorative release of the five Christ Church Oxford Eton Choirbook recordings as a boxed set (The Door to Paradise)
                      The Door To Paradise. Avie: AV2395. Buy 5 CDs online. The Choir Of Christ Church Cathedral Oxford, Stephen Darlington

has resulted in the handing down of the original individual releases from a friend, who has been sent a copy of the box to review (not quite sure why they need to be if they are not new issues, but I'm not complaining!).
                      I already have the recordings that The Sixteen made, so it will be interesting to compare both the content and the performance style.

Also included in the package that arrived this morning was this new release:
                      de Févin: Missa Ave Maria & Missa Salve sancta parens. Hyperion: CDA68265. Buy CD or download online. The Brabant Ensemble, Stephen Rice

by a composer previously unknown to me.

According to Presto's website,
                      Stephen Rice and his Brabant Ensemble introduce us to another lesser-known contemporary and compatriot of Josquin. This is a release which will have everyone talking about Févin.

You have been warned.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Stephen Rice and his Brabant Ensemble introduce us to another lesser-known contemporary and compatriot of Josquin. This is a release which will have everyone talking about Févin.

You have been warned.
                        ... o, queueing at the falafel shops in Shepherd's Bush Market we talk of little else...

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... o, queueing at the falafel shops in Shepherd's Bush Market we talk of little else...

Get a taster of his work here:

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            I've been acquainted with M. de Fevin since schooldays, but I can't say exactly how.

I'm certain that back c.1972 in my very ordinary grammar-school choir, I sang something quite short of his, but after checking Grove, Amazon etc I don't recognize any of his motet and chanson titles

Does anyone have any clue what was in print back then in a pretty standard edition? Or were there some 'attribs' now allocated elsewhere perhaps?
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              I've been acquainted with M. de Fevin since schooldays, but I can't say exactly how.

I'm certain that back c.1972 in my very ordinary grammar-school choir, I sang something quite short of his, but after checking Grove, Amazon etc I don't recognize any of his motet and chanson titles

Does anyone have any clue what was in print back then in a pretty standard edition? Or were there some 'attribs' now allocated elsewhere perhaps?
                              The friend who passed the CD on to me (he had been sent a review copy, but had already ordered his own copy) said he sang the Missa Ave Maria some 50 years ago, but in a combined choir at Bancroft's, perhaps not an ordinary grammar-scholl choir; presumably printed editions existed back then.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Further to my post about the remastered Couperin/Les Nations recording by Savall, it now appears that we are to be treated to another new version from Christophe Rousset at the end of the month. Happy birthday indeed, Monsieur Couperin!

Comment

Working...
                                X