• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    I'm still confused - new recordings of symphonies 1-4 made in Wroclaw?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Looks interesting doesn't it?
      Not very!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        No stranger than Los Angeles, surely? With him having Austrian citizenship, living mainly back in Estonia but still keeping a foothold in his adopted Germany, Wroclaw seems a fair compromise.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          Not very!
          You understate your case, I feel. I will not be rushing to acquire the set. His 3rd Symphony has its moments but Ihave no particular desire to put time aside to listen to the 4th again.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Yes - new recordings of Arvo Part's Symphonies 1 - 4, recorded in Wroclaw by the NFM Wroclaw Philharmonic, conducted by Tonu Klajuste, on the ECM label.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Yes - new recordings of Arvo Part's Symphonies 1 - 4, recorded in Wroclaw by the NFM Wroclaw Philharmonic, conducted by Tonu Klajuste, on the ECM label.
              Yes, thanks ferney, I got myself in quite a pickle there - thought I was missing out on some Lutoslawski symphony recordings that I don't need!

Have placed the Part symphonies in my basket. I remember not being convinced on listening to that ECM symphony #4, so I'll need to think about splashing out £17 on the Hi-Res download.

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

An interesting new release on DVD and Blu Ray:

Older members may remember that the Bernstein recording of Tristan und Isolde was recorded at a series of live concert performances. Each concert consisted of just one act, so that the singers were fresh for each act.

For the first time the video of those concerts is being released. The blurb on the cover acknowledges that this is a 'historic recording' and states that there are minor shortcomings in video and audio quality. However, I imagine this release will be of considerable interest.

It will probably take Ed Seckerson days to recover from the news.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

That was my first recording of Tristan - I bought the cassettes along with the Dover score (with the same Art Noveau image on the cover) and learnt the work during several long car journeys in the mid-'80s. I still have the (long-since chewed and repaired) tapes somewhere - with the annoying end of side four having a blank run-off of about three minutes, for the remainder of the end of Act Two (just under two minutes of it!!!! ) to begin on side five. It was very slow - it's probably best heard an act per day.

Weren't there also studio "edits" added to the Live soundtracks? I thought that it was during one of those that Böhm visited the sessions and declared his admiration for what Bernstein was doing?

(And was this Bernstein's only recording for Phillips?)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    ...and it is certainly on my possibles list but I'll check prices post-release, as I will als the forthcoming Berlioz Munch box!
                    Slatkin American Collection and the Munch Berlioz boxes now available from Amazon marketplace traders at under £15 plus pp.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Svelte, light, flowing new recording of one of Zelenka's masterpieces (and a great favourite of mine, thanks to Heinz Holliger et al).... Reinhard Goebel is listed, variously, as 'artistic adviser" or "artistic supervisor".... not sure if he waves his arms around, or is otherwise musically active though...

But the marvellous results suggest his creative influence, everything he touches seems to be new-minted musical gold...
                      Gramophone's Charlotte Gardner comments on the spaciousness of the presentation, unusual for recordings of this work; and I'd agree it is very much to the music's benefit; beautifully produced.

(Supraphon New Release 2018...Streamed via Qobuz HiFi... notes unavailable).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Well fancy that.....

Listen to unlimited or download Brahms: Symphonies Nos. 1-4, Serenades Nos. 1 & 2 by Tapiola Sinfonietta in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

I listened to a lot of Brahms after the BaL on the 1st so this feels a lot to take on, but Venzago creates the kind of performances you feel you have to go through, rather than round....
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 22-06-18, 20:32.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... all Ramellians will wish to have the recent Naïs, from György Vashegyi with the Purcell Choir and Orfeo Orchestra on the glossa label.

Forty minutes more music than the Nicholas McGegan recording of 1980...

[ ... cheaper from the French : http://amzn.eu/9wa649c ]

Last edited by vinteuil; 22-06-18, 20:41.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... all Ramellians will wish to have the recent Naïs, from György Vashegyi with the Purcell Choir and Orfeo Orchestra on the glossa label.

Forty minutes more music than the Nicholas McGegan recording of 1980...

[ ... cheaper from the French : http://amzn.eu/9wa649c ]

free here
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                              Don't know it. This sounds splendid. Brilliant - thanks.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Bernstein - An American in Paris. Due for release on August 24th from Warner a7CD set of 1970s recordings of Bernstein with the ONF, inc his studio recordings of Berlioz Sym Fant and Harold in Italy, Milhaud but also some previously unreleased live recordings of Ravel and others. I guess of interest to all Lenny fans!
                                Last edited by cloughie; 20-08-18, 10:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X