X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    A genius indeed, but not entirely unsung, surely.
    Maybe 'unsung' was a bit strong but not quite as popular as, say, Bruckner or Mahler.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Long expected, well at least by me, but Decca are about to release a boxed set of Sir Georg Solti's complete Chicago SO recordings: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4831375

The Presto price is the cheapest I can find and at £1 a CD is an incredible bargain. I have around 70% of what's here but at that price I will not be hesitating. I will thus have a lot of duplicated Solti/CSO CDs to offload at around Christmas time should anyone be interested.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Long expected, well at least by me, but Decca are about to release a boxed set of Sir Georg Solti's complete Chicago SO recordings: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4831375

The Presto price is the cheapest I can find and at £1 a CD is an incredible bargain. I have around 70% of what's here but at that price I will not be hesitating. I will thus have a lot of duplicated Solti/CSO CDs to offload at around Christmas time should anyone be interested.
        It looks very good but I also have about the same proportion already, Pet. I'll maybe sent you a preemptive strike PM with my gaps

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Paul Badura Skoda Edition from DG (20cd) due end of September. Presto is advertising this at a special price of £62 (it is £82 at Amazon).
          JPC has a contents list and a price of €60 which appears to be non-discounted.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... re Paul Badura Skoda - this looks good :

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Marginally cheaper from amazon.fr, but without free delivery to an Amazon Locker, which I find useful, so have ordered from amazon.co.uk.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Rameau : Pygmalion - Christophe Rousset, les Talens Lyriques

The Wm: Christie / Arts Florissants version

dates from 1991, and the new Rousset seems to have nine additional dances, - so I think this will be a necessary addition...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Re PBS again - I got his Schubert set on fortepianos from his own collection on outhere Arcana for only £12 in 2014. Great value and a great set. On offer at Presto

Comment

• silvestrione
                    • Jan 2011

The Martha Argerich and Friends, live from Lugano arrived yesterday, and starts with a live, 2016, performance by Argerich of Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit. Yes, you read that right, a solo concert from Argerich in 2016! Just that work though (apparently, her daughter Anne Dutoit read out the poems the pieces are based on).

In my (initial) view, it's a great performance, utterly stunning. 4 minutes longer than her youthful live version, thank goodness

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Christian Ferras Icon Box upcoming in October. French Amazon have details. I had an LP many years ago bit don't own a single CD and might be tempted to investigate.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Christian Ferras Icon Box upcoming in October. French Amazon have details. I had an LP many years ago bit don't own a single CD and might be tempted to investigate.
                        Covetable.

Some discrepancy between the details in the back cover of the box and the Liste des Titres: the Box says that Disc 7 contains the Bach "Double" and the Beethoven Concerto and (!) the two Romances, whilst Disc 8 is "just" two Mozart Concertos - "Liste" says that "Disque 7" is the Bruch g minor and the Symphonie Spag Bog, and Disque 8 is the first of the three CDs devoted to the complete Beethoven Sonatas. (The "Liste" also suggests that the Beethoven Romances aren't included.

Intriguing if not perplexing - but "covetable" nonetheless!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          A very underrated player, imho. There was a DG box set issued a few years ago which has some wonderful performances in it.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

A new recording of Rameau's fabulous acte de ballet, "Pygmalion", from Les Talens Lyriques and Christophe Rousset. I am still wedded to the wonderful old Leonhardt version, but I think this new one promises to be very good indeed.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              A new recording of Rameau's fabulous acte de ballet, "Pygmalion", from Les Talens Lyriques and Christophe Rousset. I am still wedded to the wonderful old Leonhardt version, but I think this new one promises to be very good indeed.

https://www.amazon.fr/Rameau-Pygmali...meau+pygmalion
                              ... yes indeed, Micky -

Rameau : Pygmalion - Christophe Rousset, les Talens Lyriques

The Wm: Christie / Arts Florissants version

dates from 1991, and the new Rousset seems to have nine additional dances, - so I think this will be a necessary addition...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

I'm expecting the new Schubert Sonatas cd from Krystian Zimerman today.

Comment

Working...
                                X