X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Prokofiev's string quartets

Over the last few days I've listened several times to Prokofiev's string quartets, played by the St.Petersburg Quartet (USA) - a very fine recording IMVVHO. I am thinking that it might be interesting to hear other versions of the two string quartets, but I am not familiar enough with them to know what/who to look for.....
    I wondered what versions others on here, favour, and why....

Thanks to you in advance.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

The only version I know (as it's the only one in my collection) is by the American String Quartet, on Melodiya. It looks like it's currently available in a 6CD set of Russian string quartets on the alto label:
    Great Russian String Quartets. Alto: ALC6006. Buy 6 CDs online. Borodin Quartet, Shostakovich Quartet, American String Quartet

If I favour it, it's only because it's the only version I know, but it seems fine to me.

That said, delving into the Presto listings, the coupling by the Pavel Haas Quartet on Supraphon looks like one to investigate:
    Prokofiev - String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2. Supraphon: SU39572. Buy CD or download online. Pavel Haas Quartet

and if I remember correctly The Penguin Guide spoke highly of the Naxos release by the Aurora String Quartet:
    Prokofiev: String Quartet No. 1 in B minor, Op. 50, etc.. Naxos: 8553136. Buy CD or download online. Aurora String Quartet

I like these quartets very much, and hope that this thread might get others to investigate them if they are not familiar with them.

Host: worth moving to 'Recordings in Discussion'?
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-03-19, 09:55. Reason: Word 'to' added, but our kind host got the message anyway!

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

I've only ever had the Novak Qt on a Philips LP dated 1970.

In the 1980s I tried to persuade Peter Cropper that the Lindsays should play them, but he wasn't having any. Hard for me to understand why they are so neglected. Thoughts?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Host: worth moving 'Recordings in Discussion'?
        Duly moved.

I've been trying to remember - I must, surely, have heard these works at some point in my life, but I'm danged if I can remember when, or what they're like! I certainly don't have a recording of them, so shall be interested to follow this Thread.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

In addition to the St Petersburg Quartet version I have the Emersons and the Pavel Haas Quartet. Both superb and also both close to identical interpretively (compare timings)—it all comes down to which band you prefer (I personally like the Emersons somewhat better, tighter ensemble & less vibrato, but some listeners are turned off by their somewhat wiry sound).

I haven't yet seen a need to look further afield for recordings of these pieces although there are undoubtedly other good ones available.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            […]

I've been trying to remember - I must, surely, have heard these works at some point in my life, but I'm danged if I can remember when, or what they're like! I certainly don't have a recording of them, so shall be interested to follow this Thread.
            Much the same here, although my recall of the works is slightly better. I can remember that the 2nd is based on some folk tunes from a remote region of the USSR and that I have a CD of Myaskovsky's 23rd symphony which employs one of those tunes. I shall be interested in boarders' recommendations as I ought to fill this gap in my collection as both these quartets are mature Prokofiev.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Many thanks for this nudge. I did not know the String Quartets and rectified this by going to Spotify. The first version which came up was the one by the Swiss Quartetto Energie Nove. I was struck in the first bars by the brilliance of the beautifully balanced recorded sound and they are equally brilliantly played. The group is well named; they play with compelling energy and commitment. The MusicWeb reviewer ends with the bold claim: "I have not heard either of its currently available competitors, but they cannot possibly be any better than this." It's easy to see why he made this claim. I shall certainly be going back to this recording to get to know the works better.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

I haven’t listened to these for a while.

I have the Emerson on DG which is excellent IIRC,and Aurora on Naxos which I cannot bring to mind.
                Coincidentally I’m going to hear No 1 played by the Danel Qt at Manchester University tomorrow for nowt.
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                  I haven’t listened to these for a while.

I have the Emerson on DG which is excellent IIRC,and Aurora on Naxos which I cannot bring to mind.
                  Coincidentally I’m going to hear No 1 played by the Danel Qt at Manchester University tomorrow for nowt.
                  For nowt! Blimey!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    For nowt! Blimey!
                    Yes indeed

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Listening to the Pavel Haas recording now: it's been a while since I listened to the Americans, and I might be suffering from ‘first version' syndrome, but I think I prefer what I would call their earthier approach; I need to give it a spin later.

Oops: something has gone wrong with the streaming as the Haas version has just conked out.
                      Last edited by Pulcinella; 28-03-19, 16:15. Reason: Typo

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

I love these quartets - I have the Chilingirian Quartet on Chandos ...... scarily the notes are written by David Fanning who I would assume is the same guy who is at edgy’s upcoming concert ..... ?????

Comment

• Oakapple

My CD features the Britten Quartet on the Collins Classics label from 1991. I don't know how it compares with the others mentioned here but I enjoy it very much.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I have the Coull Quartet on Helios CDH55032. You also get the Overture on Hebrew Themes.

Comment

• mikealdren
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I love these quartets - I have the Chilingirian Quartet on Chandos ...... scarily the notes are written by David Fanning who I would assume is the same guy who is at edgy’s upcoming concert ..... ?????
                              Yes, David Fanning the critic is also Professor of music at Manchester and an expert on Nielsen and Russian music (and a fine pianist).

Comment

Working...
                              X