Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulcinella
    replied
    There's an article about the work in this month's (February 2024) BBC MM, and a performance on the cover CD: William Wolfram/BBCNOW/Eric Stern, recorded in St David's Hall, Cardiff, on 15 April 2016.

Leave a comment:

• smittims
    replied
    Yes, the piano roll/TilsonThomas was a revelation to me, not least ithe tempi, very different from many modern performances. So I think that's probably the most HIPP version. Apart from that I've always been fond of Julius Katchen's recording with the LSO and Istvan Kertesz. It may have been Julius' last recording (KIngsway Hall, 28 November 1968).

Leave a comment:

• oddoneout
    replied
    Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have read today that apparently it had its first performance on 12th February 1924 . What’s your favourite recording ? Mine I think is the one of Simon Rattle’s Jazz album I think with Peter Donohoe but have soft spots for Previn and Lenny .
    Oh that explains the ad blitz of recent days.

Leave a comment:

• Pulcinella
    replied
    Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have read today that apparently it had its first performance on 12th February 1924 . What’s your favourite recording ? Mine I think is the one of Simon Rattle’s Jazz album I think with Peter Donohoe but have soft spots for Previn and Lenny .
    Good choices, Barbs, but there's also the very special 1925 piano roll version with Tilson Thomas:

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris & Broadway Overtures (Expanded Edition). Sony: G010001223040J. Buy download online. George Gershwin (piano), Columbia Jazz Band, Michael Tilson Thomas (piano), Sarah Vaughan (vocals), Andy Simpkins (bass), Harold Jones (drums), George Gaffney (piano) New York Philharmonic, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra

I pity poor Alpie if this ever comes up for Building a Library: 441 hits on the Presto site.

Leave a comment:

• Barbirollians
    started a topic Rhapsody in Blue - 100th anniversary

Rhapsody in Blue - 100th anniversary

Working...
X