• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
    CRICKET well that’s tricky [...]
    Amazing what you can find when you look (I was going to suggest Josquin, El Grillo):

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I see I also forgot the Efrem Kurtz no 1 long coupled with Projofiev’s classical symphony.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

I 've always liked the Stokowski recording of no.5 with the New York Phil. performing as the NY Stadium Symphony.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

I don’t think the Maxim Shostakovich 15 has had a mention? Surreally recorded (the string polyrhythms in the first movement have a bizarre halo) and with a particular despondency I haven’t heard anyone else get anywhere near. There are LP copies still floating about, or you might get lucky and find the mixed Melodiya set from a few years ago at a non-hilarious price.
          Dear God, I see what you mean. Were it not for the fact that the Maxim Shostakovich 15th is otherwise unavailable as a physical CD, I might be tempted to auction my copy on eBay. I also have the box as a download from Qobuz - no longer available - which cost some ludicrously small sum, so maybe I should just burn the 15th to CD and flog the box. I'm no great fan of the 11th so wouldn't greatly miss the Ivanov.

Comment

• oliver sudden
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Dear God, I see what you mean. Were it not for the fact that the Maxim Shostakovich 15th is otherwise unavailable as a physical CD, I might be tempted to auction my copy on eBay. I also have the box as a download from Qobuz - no longer available - which cost some ludicrously small sum, so maybe I should just burn the 15th to CD and flog the box. I'm no great fan of the 11th so wouldn't greatly miss the Ivanov.
            I have the 15th on LP, and in any case given the price of the Melodiya box (and the fact that I already have most of it) youtube is more or less an adequate substitute

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Amazing what you can find when you look (I was going to suggest Josquin, El Grillo):

https://www.cantabile.com/new-page-2
              Amazing!

I also thought of Constant Lambert's Prize-Fight...

Re Efrem Kurtz No 1 - was that on CfP back in the 70s? I seem to recall hearing the Shostakovich/Prokofiev coupling.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post

Amazing!

Re Efrem Kurtz No 1 - was that on CfP back in the 70s? I seem to recall hearing the Shostakovich/Prokofiev coupling.
                Yes: CfP.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post

Amazing!

The Kurtz Classical Symphony here was on EMI budget label and was coupled with Peter and The Wolf. I never saw the Shostakovich

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

The Telarc label had a pairing of 1/15 with the Cincinnati SO led by Jesus Lopez Corbos that I still spin. The Orchestra, performance, and recording quality are all superb. I’ve seen used copies at reasonable prices

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Music was just a routine of vaguely-dreaded piano lessons and quite amusing concert band rehearsals until in the mid-1970s, a school friend (Harry Saunders RIP) lent me this LP

- the gateway, for me.

Still a favourite, on its own terms as well as for personal reasons.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Glad to hear that Ormandy 15th has other admirers beside myself. It was recorded in quadraphonic, incidentally.

Not everyone knows that the Vienna Philharmonic recorded Shostakovitch's 5th twice, under Sivestri, in the 1950s, and Mariss Jansons on CD. It's not inappropriate: for all its thrills and drama, it is at heart a very lyrical symphony.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Glad to hear that Ormandy 15th has other admirers beside myself. It was recorded in quadraphonic, incidentally.

Not everyone knows that the Vienna Philharmonic recorded Shostakovitch's 5th twice, under Sivestri, in the 1950s, and Mariss Jansons on CD. It's not inappropriate: for all its thrills and drama, it is at heart a very lyrical symphony.
                          …and a Mahlerian feeling which Stalin wasn’t too keen on!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post

There's actually a third VPO recording of the DSCH 5: a live recording with Sir Georg Solti in 1990.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

Thanks; I hadn't heard of that. It's hard for me to imagine Solti conducting Shostakovitch, but since Bartok's music finds him at his best, it should be good.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and a Mahlerian feeling which Stalin wasn’t too keen on!
                                I thought Stalin liked his 5th and canceled the ticket that he had punched his DSCH vacation in the Arctic Circle

Comment

Working...
                                X