X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Another PhiladelphiaOrmandy LP I bought in the 1970s was his recording of the 4th but I've never bought it on CD. Is it still available?
    Ormandy also made pioneering recordings of Nos 13 (when it could not be performed in the USSR, at least in its original version) and 15, both still competitive.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Not sure how I missed Ormandy’s First off my list . Or Mravinsky’s Eighth . Let alone Neeme Jarvi’s 10th on Chandos.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Yes, as a download as part of this set:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...s-shostakovich
        If happy with Used: Very Good, there's https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conducts-Sh...sr=1-4-catcorr

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

If happy with Used: Very Good, there's https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conducts-Sh...sr=1-4-catcorr
          I searched for a CD copy of this set but couldn't find it. So, thanks - duly ordered!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I searched for a CD copy of this set but couldn't find it. So, thanks - duly ordered!
            The 1975 release of the 5th is in another Sony boxed set of Ormandy recordings, "Eugene Ormandy conducts 20th Century Classics" (12 CDs), which also has his second recording of the 1st Cello Concerto (Yo-Yo Ma). Then there's the Dutton surround SACD version of Symphonies 5 and 15, etc., https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/pro...prod=2CDLX7370
            Last edited by Bryn; 31-07-23, 18:20.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

I've just acquired the Ormandy twofer of 4 and 10. He's never been one of my absolute favourite conductors but both are very good indeed.

Also, Berglund in 6, Bernstein (Chicago) in 7, Previn (EMI) in 8, Stokey (Chicago) in 10, Shipway in 10, Sanderling (various in 15)

Comment

• Karafan
                • Nov 2010

Another PhiladelphiaOrmandy LP I bought in the 1970s was his recording of the 4th but I've never bought it on CD. Is it still available?
                It will doubtless be in the stereo Columbia megabox!
                "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Karafan View Post

It is!
                  You have to scroll a long way down the contents though!

Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra - The Columbia Stereo Collection. Sony: 19439977432. Buy 88 CDs online. Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy

Also available as part of this Japanese CD set:

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    I used to have the 4th on LP but, as it's one of the few recordings of this symphony I don't have on CD, the CDs are allegedly well remastered (and they come from Japan) and people seem to be enthusiastic generally about the set, "pre-loved" copy duly ordered. Many thanks, Pulcinella, for the link. No more buying CDs, though, for the moment as I'm waiting for J-E B's Ravel and a small clutch courtesy of Outhere Music's 50% off Black Friday offer.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                      • Feb 2024

The Cluytens 11, the Ančerl 10, and the London 1960 Mravinsky 8 are indeed stupendous in my book.

I don’t think the Maxim Shostakovich 15 has had a mention? Surreally recorded (the string polyrhythms in the first movement have a bizarre halo) and with a particular despondency I haven’t heard anyone else get anywhere near. There are LP copies still floating about, or you might get lucky and find the mixed Melodiya set from a few years ago at a non-hilarious price.

I was lucky to see a YouTube upload that purported to be an Ančerl 4! It disappeared soon after but I had already made a precautionary download. I guess I can’t be completely sure of its provenance but it sounds feasible and certainly isn’t one of the Kondrashins that’s been mislabelled, for example. Excellent it is too.

Also in that mixed Melodiya box was a Konstantin Ivanov 11. Fortunately on YouTube and I don’t think it’s going to disappear in a hurry.

About as driven as it gets. For a while I wondered if it was going to take a place alongside the Cluytens as an 11 I could actually listen to but the speed of the finale turned it cartoonish for me. Still well worth a listen, especially if unlike me you get on with the 11th in general.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Karafan View Post

I still have the budget pairing of 4 and 10

Comment

• oliver sudden
                          • Feb 2024

Oh and the Bernstein 7 on DG!

(oops, that was indeed mentioned upthread but I hereby second it.)

And I still have a soft spot for my first 8: Bournemouth/Barshai. Not a combination you see/hear often. Pity!

Are there any one-off versions of 2 and 3 worth mentioning apart from Morton Gould? I have a feeling they’re done very rarely indeed outside complete sets.

Cover design by Lorraine Fox This is the first time that I have offered a stereophonic recording on this blog, one that I feel is deserv...
                          Last edited by oliver sudden; 15-02-24, 21:42.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

Cloughie mentioned Martinon's version of No 1; I have always enjoyed that, I've known it since it was released on Decca Eclipse. The coupling of the Suite from The Age of Gold is very enjoyable too - I love the saxophone in the second movement. Is there a recording of the complete ballet, or more extended excerpts? Mark Elder did a longer suite with the Hallé a few years back and it was very entertaining.

[One could put together a sporting programme (the Shostakovich is about a football team on tour) which also includes Honegger's Rugby and Debussy's Jeux (tennis). Is there a piece about cricket or golf? Apart from Satie's Sports et Divertissements...]

Comment

• oliver sudden
                              • Feb 2024

CRICKET well that’s tricky, there can’t be many pieces of music that last for most of a week and nothing happens for most of it but then suddenly the tension gets ratcheted up more than you would have thought humanly possible, oh wait that’s the Ring cycle isn’t it?

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

Malcolm Sargent's Impression of a Windy Day was inspired by a game of golf he had at Cromer when a young man.

Comment

Working...
                                X