X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Our Summer BAL 14: Granados's Goyescas

Who captures best the "mixture of bitterness and elegance" that the composer wrote of?

I love this piano cycle and used to have a set on LP by Mario Miranda. Where did it go - I loved them?

So I'm very much in the market for a replacement. But whose?
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

I am still loyal to the EMI Aldo Ciccolini.

There is a useful 'Complete Piano Works' of Granados with Thomas Rajna on brilliant.

I wd like to have a good HIPP Granados on an appropriate piano...

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Of recent recordings, I have greatly enjoyed that by Luis Fernandez Perez:

Larrocha recorded it at least four times (1955 - American Decca; 1963 - Hispavox; 1977 - Decca; 1990 - RCA). I have had the Decca since it was released and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Alicia de Larrocha still number one in my book, with Cristina Ortiz a close second. Actually I don't know or have any other recordings, although I believe Thomas Rajna, as mentioned by vinteuil, is highly thought of.

I'm also rather fond of the opera of the same name with Maria Bayo and Ramon Vargas in the title roles and the Orquesta Sinfonica de Madrid conducted by Antoni Ros Marba.

Told a lie! I've got Aldo Ciccolini as well - but haven't played it yet, having bought the set for the Albeniz/Iberia.
        Last edited by Pianorak; 28-07-12, 16:29.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Don Petter

De Larrocha on the 1962 EMI Hispavox recording, now issued on a GROC double using the much improved Spanish EMI transfers (which we had to order directly from that country a few years ago).

Better than either of her Decca recordings, the earlier once available on CD from MCA, and the later, from the '70s, widely available in Decca CD issues, good though they both are.

The GROC has her 1961 Iberia as well - what a bargain!

Comment

• Black Swan

I agree with many of the comments for me this work is and always will be linked the Alicia de Larrocha. I have 2 recordings by her and can't fathom buying any other performer.

John

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

The 2010 Penguin Guide recommends the 1977 Decca version with Alicia de Larrocha. I have this on LP, and I also have a French Columbia LP which features some orchestral music by Turina, and " Granados Goyescas, Extraits symphoniques". The performances are by the Orchestre de la Societe des Concerts du Conservatoire, cond. Rafael Ferrer. Unfortunately there are no sleeve notes, so I dont know who did the orchestration, or if it is complete (presumably not, since they are "Extraits"). It was probably Ferrer, since I note elsewhere in the Penguin Guide he orchestrated some other Granados items, the 12 Danzas espanolas.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

The GROC has her 1961 Iberia as well - what a bargain!
                Don

Thanks for the recommendation. Duly ordered

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Don

Thanks for the recommendation. Duly ordered
                  Don't know the Goyescas. I like Alicia in Albeniz so I've ordered this too: looks good.

Comment

• Don Petter

I am sure neither of you will regret it!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... another temptation might be the EMI Alicia de Larrocha complete recordings - eight CDs, which will give you

CD1 Soler - eight sonatas
                      Granados seis piezas sobre cantos populares espanoles

CD2 Granados - Goyescas - el Pelele
                      Albeniz - Iberia (beginning)

CD3 Albeniz - Iberia (conclusion) - Navarra - Azulejos

CD4 Albeniz - suite espanola - pavana - tango - cantos de espana - zaragoza- malaguena - mallorca - zambra granadina

CD5 Granados - doce danzas espanolas - danza lenta - allegro de concierto - valses poeticos

CD6 Granados - escenas romanticas
                      Falla - piezas espanolas - fantasia betica - la vida breve - el sombrero de tres picos - el amor brujo - dances
                      Albeniz - la vega

CD7 Turina - sanlucar de barrameda - danzas fantasticas
                      Montsalvatge - concierto breve

CD8 Concert with Victoria de los Angeles - songs by Literes, Laserna, Granados, Falla, and Gimenez

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Achucarro not available on CD it seems, but his LP is here:

Enrique Granados: "Goyescas"Part I: El Pelele - Los Requiebros - Coloquio en la reja - El Fandango del CandilJOAQUIN ACHUCARRO, piano1980, RCA

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

My favoured version of the orchestral Intermezzo for me is LSO Fruhbeck de Burgos Decca LP SXL6287!

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... another temptation might be the EMI Alicia de Larrocha complete recordings - eight CDs
                            Thanks, vinteuil. Invested.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                              Thanks, vinteuil. Invested.
                              A wonderful set, which I should have remembered. Since I already had all these recordings 'last time round', I have never bought the GROC or this set.

Comment

Working...
                              X