X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Bumping this thread to see if there's any enthusiasm this year (see the three suggestions so far), given that today is the last regular BaL of the season.
    I'm happy to start each one off at weekly intervals if so.
    Or shall we stick with the Proms Composers and their indispensable recordings?

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

I certainly don't want too many conflicting threads, and of course during the Proms we get the opportunity to comment on lots of concert performances, but I still think that there might be a place for discussing recordings of particular works rather than the rather contrived Proms Composer Essential Reconrdings.

At the risk of causing my own blushes, here's how ferney greeted the original Recordings in Discussion suggestion and thread launch:

Following a brilliant idea from Pulcie - warmly welcomed on the BaL Prokofiev 1st Violin Concerto Thread - here is a new sub-Forum, where Forumistas can discuss favourite recordings of a selected work. A sort-of "all-year-round Our Summer BaL" - a work will be chosen for general discussion, mainly about recordings, but also including fondly-remembered performances. (Discussion of performances broadcast on R3 should be kept to the "Performance" Threads.) To avoid too much overlapping of works, it has been suggested that new works for discussion be introduced only after the previous one has been running for three weeks - I would amend that suggestion to suggest that if interest flags before the end of that period, then another work can be introduced before.

Given the huge popularity of Threads devoted to recordings, and the positive responses to Pulcie's suggestion, I think that this should be a "runner".
      I think that ts's idea of Verklärte Nacht would fit well in this remit, so maybe he could launch that using Karajan as a benchmark?
      BBC MM has provided both a full version (BBCSO/Runnicles) and a sextet one (Nash Ensemble), though as they're not commercially available they perhaps should not be given too much consideration.

Then later I'll start off a general 'Music of Bliss' one?

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I don't want to start another thread (at least not just yet), but given that during the Proms we have a series of 'indispensable recordings' of selected Proms
        Haydn: Piano trios (Mandryka)

My thought was that it would be more useful to pick one trio.

Another suggestion I'd like to make, just because I think it's frequently performed yet somehow really hard to pull off, is D958 (Schubert obviously)

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

My thought was that it would be more useful to pick one trio.

Another suggestion I'd like to make, just because I think it's frequently performed yet somehow really hard to pull off, is D958 (Schubert obviously)
          Indeed you did: apologies for having extrapolated!

I'd like to suggest a Haydn piano trio, one of the last 18.
          Let's see what enthusiasm there is for any/all suggestions.
          It doesn't have to be me who initiates a thread, though, so if you want to test the waters.....

Comment

Working...
          X