X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Your, much appreciated, efforts, should, I feel, entitle you to first choice ......
    Seconded.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Your, much appreciated, efforts, should, I feel, entitle you to first choice ......
      Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      Seconded.

Thinking cap on, then!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Thwarted by the fact that Walton's Viola concerto has already been covered, I've opted for his second symphony instead.
        Not a Proms premiere, but an Edinburgh Festival one, so that might keep pastoralguy happy.

Many recordings (including four of the five that I have) now seem download only.
        Only 12 currently available recordings, so no mammoth compilation task required.

I hope that this choice will stir other interest, and I look forward to comments from learned fellow forumites (and others!).

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

I've set this year's Summer BALs off with Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin.
          Happy to try to compile lists for future suggestions (of course other forum members are at liberty to launch their own threads!).
          I hope that we get some good discussions going.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Testing the waters to see if there's likely to be any interest in specific pieces for any Summer BaL threads this year, or if there are sufficient other threads and opportunities to invite comments and give (reasoned) preferences.
            Thoughts, comments, and suggestions welcome.

Given a recent mention of Adam Zero, I wondered if one on the music of Bliss might be a good idea.
            We're not exactly spoilt for choice, but there are a few pieces available in several recordings, probably most noticeably Music for strings.

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Testing the waters to see if there's likely to be any interest in specific pieces for any Summer BaL threads this year, or if there are sufficient other threads and opportunities to invite comments and give (reasoned) preferences.

Given a recent mention of Adam Zero, I wondered if one on the music of Bliss might be a good idea.
              We're not exactly spoilt for choice, but there are a few pieces available in several recordings, probably most noticeably Music for strings.
              Funny, I played my Lyrita LP of Bliss Music for Strings CBSO/Rignold recently and was surprised how good it sounded. I'm rediscovering Lennox Berkeley too on the same label. If there aren't enough recordings of a specific work, it might be an idea to do a general survey of a composer's works...as they have done on occasion on BaL.

My suggestion to BaL was for Delius's Mass of Life, with the new one I think there are now five or six recordings...not sure if that's on CD - I have four on CD and I know of a couple I haven't got.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

This thread - shows how despite the absent friends thread we can miss that forumites are no longer posting - no Verissismo since 2022

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

I'd like to suggest something, actually, for entirely selfish reasons - I'd like to get to know the music better. I'd like to suggest a Haydn piano trio, one of the last 18.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

I don't want to start another thread (at least not just yet), but given that during the Proms we have a series of 'indispensable recordings' of selected Proms Composers, I wonder if there's any appetite for these being posted and our own choices made.

The first scheduled one for 2024 is on 20 July:

BBC Proms Composer: Giuseppe Verdi
                    Roger Parker picks five indispensable recordings of BBC Proms Composer Giuseppe Verdi.

Suggestions for Our Summer BaLs so far are:
                    Delius: Mass of Life (Roger)
                    Haydn: Piano trios (Mandryka)
                    The music of Bliss (fairly general but perhaps focusing on a few works with more than just a couple of recordings) (Pulcinella)

Thoughts and further suggestions welcome.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

I don't want to start another thread (at least not just yet), but given that during the Proms we have a series of 'indispensable recordings' of selected Proms Composers, I wonder if there's any appetite for these being posted and our own choices made.

Roger Parker picks five indispensable recordings of BBC Proms Composer Giuseppe Verdi.

The music of Bliss (fairly general but perhaps focusing on a few works with more than just a couple of recordings) (Pulcinella)

If there isn't enough Masses of Life, my second choice would be Tippett Conc. for Double Str. Orch...plenty enough of them, but perhaps it's been done before.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

If there isn't enough Masses of Life, my second choice would be Tippett Conc. for Double Str. Orch...plenty enough of them, but perhaps it's been done before.
                        It has been covered, in #81, here:

I think I found six versions of the Delius, which might be enough.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Oh, thanks Pulcinella...I thought the Tippett must have been covered. Good about the Delius....I've only four recordings!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Bumping this thread to see if there's any enthusiasm this year (see the three suggestions so far), given that today is the last regular BaL of the season.
                            I'm happy to start each one off at weekly intervals if so.
                            Or shall we stick with the Proms Composers and their indispensable recordings?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Sorry, a few random thoughts. Bliss would be great. As keen followers of Radio 3 Breakfast will be aware , in a true moment of radio history I once introduced Adam Zero live with no help at all from Petroc.
                              Also, has Verklarte Nacht ever been done ? I realised tonight that I could do with an alternative to the Karajan, and I don’t think I have a sextet version at all. Shocker.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Belgrove
                                • Nov 2010

Prom 23 includes the Busoni Piano Concerto, which seems an ideal work to perform at the Proms, but which I’ve never got around to listening to. I’d be fascinated to know which recordings to sample.

Comment

Working...
                                X