Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oliver sudden
    • Feb 2024

I made it all the way through this one! Some nice tips here up which I shall be following. And he is also clearly a fan of version D, which if I remember right he called the best recording by its illustrious conductor (words to that effect, anyway).

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Bolero was the finale of the last concert I ata few weeks ago. I hadn’t heard it live in a long time and was really thrilled by it

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
        I made it all the way through this one! Some nice tips here up which I shall be following. And he is also clearly a fan of version D, which if I remember right he called the best recording by its illustrious conductor (words to that effect, anyway).

God, the horror! The horror! Click the link and who is that. Rasputin?

Comment

• oliver sudden
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

God, the horror! The horror! Click the link and who is that. Rasputin?
          Strangely enough my sheer incredulity at the opening moments was such that I was too dumbfounded to stop the thing, and by the time I recovered my senses there was some actual information being imparted, so, credit where it’s due.

One thing he said struck a chord: for him there are certain moments that have to be right for him to enjoy a Bolero. One of them is the polytonal bit for horn, celesta, and piccolos, which has to blend properly. Fair enough. For me if I don’t hear the snares on the snare drum right from the beginning that’s a serious problem, and I had that problem with some of the recordings the Tribune were assessing.

Anyone else have such ‘hurdle’ moments that a recording has to clear?

Comment

Working...
          X