Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Third elimination - Alan Loveday.ASMF/Marriner, 1973. - the panel agreed that it was played with panache and charm of another era. Chauvin said the second slow movement sounded like film music - reminded him of the use of Mahler in 'Death in Venice'! (He wasn't even born when this version came out!) But the overall feeling was that though nice to hear, it wasn't Vivaldi. I wonder if modern instrument lovers would agree?

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Final decisions made - last two eliminations are Simon Standage/English Concert/Pinnock 1989 and surprisingly the Podger on Channel Classics which just got pipped to the post by the winner, chosen unanimously by the three judges - Federico Guglielmo and l'Arte Dell'Arco on Brilliant Classics. I have to say I wasn't even aware of the existence of the winner, likewise one of the judges. It's a bit fast in places for me, but no doubt highly enjoyable.

I'm sure the France Musique webpage will do a much better job than me when it appears, but I have to say I really enjoyed listening along and making my own notes. A pity that the Monica Huggett.AAM/Hogwood version didn't get included.

I so wish that this programme could be copied by R3, it is such fun.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Final decisions made - last two eliminations are Simon Standage/English Concert/Pinnock 1989 and surprisingly the Podger on Channel Classics which just got pipped to the post by the winner, chosen unanimously by the three judges - Federico Guglielmo and l'Arte Dell'Arco on Brilliant Classics. I have to say I wasn't even aware of the existence of the winner, likewise one of the judges. It's a bit fast in places for me, but no doubt highly enjoyable.

I'm sure the France Musique webpage will do a much better job than me when it appears, but I have to say I really enjoyed listening along and making my own notes. A pity that the Monica Huggett.AAM/Hogwood version didn't get included.

I so wish that this programme could be copied by R3, it is such fun.
        Many thanks, Micky.
        It does sound fun.
        I haven't followed the introductory threads enough to understand quite how it works (mea culpa).
        At the point when one gets eliminated have all the others already been heard (same passage)?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Gramophone liked them but they appear to have been released in a 20 CD box set.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Gramophone liked them but they appear to have been released in a 20 CD box set.
            ... or a 66 CD box set if you're feeling generous / greedy -

(much recommended... )

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Many thanks, Micky.
              It does sound fun.
              I haven't followed the introductory threads enough to understand quite how it works (mea culpa).
              At the point when one gets eliminated have all the others already been heard (same passage)?
              At the start, all six versions are played using the same passage, then two eliminations are made. Then the remaining four versions are heard in another different piece, from which one is eliminated. Finally the judges hear the last three versions in another piece, from which they have to make a final decision.

The 20 CD box set appears to have vanished from Amazon - the separate issues are all still available, but now commanding higher prices than usual. Perhaps Brilliant Classics are reissuing the box? I will content myself with the Huggett and probably order the Podger as a newer version, although that too is now some 20 years old!

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

The general public is preferring Podger to Guglielmo, 25% to 23%, according to the France Musique website.

Brilliant Classics set available free on YouTube!
                Last edited by Quarky; 19-05-24, 20:26.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                  The general public is preferring Podger to Guglielmo, 25% to 23%, according to the France Musique website.

Brilliant Classics set available free on YouTube!
                  Gugliemo preferable here (just streaming) but I agree with Micky that it all sounds a bit rushed.
                  That said, I'm happy with my ASMF/Marriner recording.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Gugliemo preferable here (just streaming) but I agree with Micky that it all sounds a bit rushed.
                    That said, I'm happy with my ASMF/Marriner recording.
                    It's interesting that your ears are open and welcoming to two totally different styles of playing, which is more than can be said for the three critics yesterday !

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Emmanuelle Giuliani, Julien Chauvin et Philippe Venturini élisent la version de référence de La Stravaganza de Vivaldi.

Jérémie Rousseau's report.
                      Last edited by Roger Webb; 21-05-24, 08:09.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I remember being thrilled with the Marriner when it first appeared; it seemed to me utterly top-notch, and I was glad to see it reissued in the 'Argo years' box. . I have Hogwood too, but I stil return to Marriner. I'm sure that Vivaldi, who sadly died in poverty, would be pleased to hear his music played with such lovng care.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                          Reassured to see that my French didn't let me down and that I got the choices in the right order!😂

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... I loved 'caoutchouteux' as their description of Marriner's Vivaldi

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... I loved 'caoutchouteux' as their description of Marriner's Vivaldi

I must confess that I don't quite understand that choice of adjective!

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I must confess that I don't quite understand that choice of adjective!
                                ... don't you recall the rubber wheels of the more modern lines on the Paris Metro?

Comment

Working...
                                X