Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Nikolaus Harnoncourt autoritaire, Simon Rattle vif-argent : Emmanuelle Giuliani, Christophe Rousset et Isabelle Werck élisent la version de référence de la Symphonie n°41 « Jupiter » de Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Meant to post this earlier, but the football was so rivetting I couldn't tear myself away!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      You'd be hard pressed to find two hours of discussion of music by a petit maître on R3 these days!
      … although to be fair we do sometimes get five hours (thanks to Donald Macleod & COTW) on maîtres, petits and petites (to smittims’ chagrin in the latter case, I seem to recall - ‘where do they find them?’ was the comment that springs to mind )
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Yes, that's true, I had forgotten that. Please heaven that programme will at least escape the chop.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

This Sunday's Tribune, Ravel's 'Bolero'.

Jean-Michel Berlemont (Nancy), Thomas Bitar (Bordeaux), Jeanne Marchal (Outreau/Pas-de-Calais) et Stéphanie Moreau (Olivet/Loiret) élisent la version de référence du Boléro de Ravel.

This one has the panel made up of listeners, rather than musicologists or critics.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

A different take on Bolero:

The final act of a legal battle over the rights to the royalties of Boléro, which lapsed in 2016, will be played out in a Paris court on Friday

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Interesting that the article has Torvill and Dean to illustrate the uses to which Boléro has been put - sales of Boléro increased most dramatically after the film '10' was released!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I wonder if Bolero was chosen because of this copyright issue: will the French audience/participators be particularly aware of it?
                More intriguing though, if my understanding of the process of choosing the winner is correct, is what the criteria for dismissal will be as the different versions are compared. I would have thought they were all very much of a muchness, but am happy to be enlightened.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

I would have thought it virtually impossible to listen to six versions of this piece and remember who was better - for that reason alone I am fascinated to try listening to the programme and see how the panellists cope!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                    • Feb 2024

I would have thought it virtually impossible to listen to six versions of this piece and remember who was better - for that reason alone I am fascinated to try listening to the programme and see how the panellists cope!
                    Well, at c.15mins apiece they have time to play them all complete one after the other....and still have half an hour to discuss them......if anyone's still awake!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Iirc, Alpie was (is?) one if those who is not at all dismissive of Bolero, and his comments on another thread caused me to get a copy of the score (Eulenberg, including a Naxos recording).

Sheet music for Ravel: Boléro: buy online. orchestra (ORCH). Published by Eulenburg. Composer: Ravel. Editor: Orenstein, Arbie.

The introduction has some useful comments on the structure, which I might copy across (time and inclination depending) here or even, if there's enough interest, in a new Bolero thread in Talking About Music.

PS: Thread already exists in Recordings in discussion:

Last edited by Pulcinella; 28-06-24, 10:10.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that Ravel himself was bemused by the success of Boléro and that it was not at all one of his favourite pieces?

I should have gone to see the recent film over here in France which tells the story - has it reached the UK yet in some cinemas?

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that Ravel himself was bemused by the success of Boléro and that it was not at all one of his favourite pieces?

]
                          I think he said 'C'est une blague'!......and another time, that it was one of his most popular works, but unfortunately contains no music!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Roger has told me that he may not be in a position to post for a while, and Micky has told me he might not be around to post tomorrow, so please (anyone else) don't hold back if you happen to listen and/or have anything to say.
                            I'm intrigued to discover the recommended version, and the reasons for dismissing the others.
                            I imagine that the role and style of saxophone playing may feature highly.

Comment

Working...
                            X