• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

La Tribune: Un BaL Français

This will be the first thread on the new sub-forum. Posts from the BaL board to be moved here;
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

France Musique La Tribune des critiques de disques tomorrow (Sunday) 3.00pm (UK time) Grieg piano concerto.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
      France Musique La Tribune des critiques de disques tomorrow (Sunday) 3.00pm (UK time) Grieg piano concerto.
      Thanks, I'll give that a listen. Just recently heard an HIP performance of it by Tobias Koch from the Chopin Institut in Poland. Fascinating, but I guess it won't be on the list in the programme !

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Is this a weekly programme?
        If so, and you monitor it/listen regularly, it might be worth starting a new thread and updating it with details for those interested.

I don't know how you start a sub-forum though, which might be better than just a thread?

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Thanks, I'll give that a listen. Just recently heard an HIP performance of it by Tobias Koch from the Chopin Institut in Poland. Fascinating, but I guess it won't be on the list in the programme !
          Probably not - La Tribune only considers six recordings, and they're normally the usual suspects.....although they sometimes throw in a balle courbe!

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Probably not - La Tribune only considers six recordings, and they're normally the usual suspects.....although they sometimes throw in a balle courbe!
            Indeed - I have to say that their selections are usually rather 'safe', but I do enjoy the programme and can only dream of a similar version being done on R3.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

If so, and you monitor it/listen regularly, it might be worth starting a new thread and updating it with details for those interested.

I don't know how you start a sub-forum though, which might be better than just a thread?
              Yes, it is on every Sunday afternoon, and soon afterwards the France Musique website posts an excellent summary of the ranking of the recordings and why they were praised or dismissed.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                • Feb 2024

I usually listen, but missed it today.....'people' here again! Unfortunately we are out visiting or have 'people' on Sundays.....but it is a very thorough examination with three critics pulling the work apart....some have been with a live audience. If you wait till Monday a complete run-down of the two hour program is posted (in English) on the France Musique website, just Google 'La Tribune des critiques de disques: Grieg Piano Concerto' or whichever works you wish to view - they go back donkey's years!

Edit. As MickyD says above, didn't see his post until I'd posted!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

The coming weeks will feature. May 12th Beethoven SQ Op.127.........May 19th Vivaldi La Stravaganza..........May 26th Fauré Nocturnes.........June 2nd Puccini Madame Butterfly.

All France Musique 15.00 (UK time) but occasionally an hour later.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I wonder could we open a new permanent thread for Jardin rather than its programmes getting mixed up with BAL ? FF ?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I wonder could we open a new permanent thread for Jardin rather than its programmes getting mixed up with BAL ? FF ?
                      I've already contacted FF about this.
                      It's under consideration!
                      Would Roger and/MickyD like to 'run' it?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Yes, perfectly possible but needs people to "feed" it regularly with the new material.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

I would be quite happy to do that, but, the big sticking point is Sundays are busy as it's our open house day - and return visit day.....plus I get sulky looks (Pulcinella knows Babs well!) if I pick up my tablet while guests are here! So, on balance, it's a no I think. Flattered you considered it though, but you also need a really good French speaker...Babs has to translate a good deal of it.....between scowls!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I would be quite happy to do that, but, the big sticking point is Sundays are busy as it's our open house day - and return visit day.....plus I get sulky looks (Pulcinella knows Babs well!) if I pick up my tablet while guests are here! So, on balance, it's a no I think. Flattered you considered it though, but you also need a really good French speaker...Babs has to translate a good deal of it.....between scowls!
                            Thanks for replying.
                            Check your PMs though as maybe what has been suggested isn't as onerous as you think, and doesn't involve listening (especially in real time) any more than I feel I ought to for the BaL threads. It's merely a thought to get some discussion going about other pieces of music.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, perfectly possible but needs people to "feed" it regularly with the new material.
                              I could possibly have a go at translating the results, but sorry to say that I'm not sure I could do it on a weekly basis. I'm still getting over the Car T cell therapy I had for my lymphoma some months ago and thus am never sure when I will be at my best!

I would suggest anyone interested in the brief summary of winners and losers on the Tribune des Critiques web page simply copies and pastes the summary into a translation service - I find DeepL provides a pretty good free translation.

Comment

Working...
                              X