Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Doesn't this defy the laws of Physics or something?
    I think it does contravene Directive 2010/66/EC (COM 2012 347 Final) from Strasbourg, which is even worse.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

the orchestral backing
      Calibs, that reminds me of an incredibly ancient pop music show on BBC (with David Jacobs) where 'records' were given marks out of ten by the punters. Imagine Brummy accent and booffed up blond hair...Ooh I didn't think much of the song, but oi loiked the backin'

Fog of memory clears...it was Juke Box Jury.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Calibs, that reminds me of an incredibly ancient pop music show on BBC (with David Jacobs) where 'records' were given marks out of ten by the punters. Imagine Brummy accent and booffed up blond hair...Ooh I didn't think much of the song, but oi loiked the backin'

Fog of memory clears...it was Juke Box Jury.
        Or, as in my case, 'Oi loike it, but Oi wouldn't boiy it'.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Don Petter

That's the one!

Comment

• Andrew Preview
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I don't have a recording of this piece - just checked, my collection skips from Granados to Handel
              If you haven't already tried them, I would strongly recommend Grieg's Lyric Pieces - the selections from Gilels and Andsnes are terrific.
              "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• Andrew Preview
                • May 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                (My money's on Morecambe/Previn )
                I only heard part of this BaL, so I don't know whether EM/AP were mentioned. A shame to pass over their version, bearing in mind that Mr Morecambe played the original version of the concerto (which was also a special arrangement).
                "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

The Morecambe/Previn version:

From the 1971 Christmas Show, this is possibly the most popular Morecambe and Wise sketch of all. But too often it is shown incomplete, starting from the mom...

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

If you haven't already tried them, I would strongly recommend Grieg's Lyric Pieces - the selections from Gilels and Andsnes are terrific.
                    The Lyric Pieces were extremely popular at one time, and I guess any student of the piano 50 - 60 years ago would have played a few. How many were there? They seemed to have dropped out of fashion, so it's good they are being included again:

This from Wiki:

In 2002, Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes recorded a CD with 24 of the lyric pieces on Grieg's own 1892 Steinway grand piano at Troldhaugen, the composer's residence.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Preview View Post
                      I think I had a cassette of Gilels (and indeed learned and played a couple of the pieces as ardcarp says). Didn't listen often - and haven't been tempted to add on CD. Happy to hear them - like the concerto - if and when they pop up.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I am glad he put the boot into Olli Mustonen- a performance of the Grieg by that pianist at the Sheffield City Hall in the 1980s I recall as being quite dreadfully self-regarding - he made Pogorelich sound like Solomon.

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                          Did I mis-hear, or did he dismiss the early Andsnes recording, saying he wished Andsnes would record it again. Which he did, over a decade later, with the Berliners and Jansons!
                          Yes, which is my favourite version by far.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

Just finished listening to Rob Cowan's playing of the whole piece. Can't say it made me jump out of my chair!! I could see some of the thngs that DON talked about but...I won't be shopping today [well not for a GPC anyway] and I don't need another version anyway!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Earlier this morning I listened to Leon Fleischer (Szell/Cleveland) which is in essence, very good, but Fleischer seems to make a goof-up about 3 or 4 minutes into the 1st movement - sort of loses his way and fizzles out with a few quiet but seemingly wrong notes. Anyone else notice this? Or am I showing my ignorance...?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                                Earlier this morning I listened to Leon Fleischer (Szell/Cleveland) which is in essence, very good, but Fleischer seems to make a goof-up about 3 or 4 minutes into the 1st movement - sort of loses his way and fizzles out with a few quiet but seemingly wrong notes. Anyone else notice this? Or am I showing my ignorance...?
                                I haven't listened to this recording for a while . I am intrigued though - sounds like the last thing Szell would have allowed !

Comment

Working...
                                X