X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    What energy and enthusiasm from DON. Highly informative too.
    ......not forgetting entertaining and witty, as well! Most enjoyable BaL.

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
      I'm more than happy with my old Stephen Bishop-K recording, with Andsnes if I feel like something more recent. I'm not sure if I'll listen or not. This reviewer seems to end up being a caricature of himself; my prediction is that he will be the centre of the review, rather than the music.
      I am with you on this. I have the Stephen Bishop-K and truthfully, I had to check which recording I have. Sadly, for me it doesn't get much play time.

But the reviewer was fantastic.

Comment

• amateur51

I've just remembered "Ollie Mustonen - the Glenn Gould de nos jours?"

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I've just remembered "Ollie Mustonen - the Glenn Gould de nos jours?"
          I'd see that as a compliment. Am I missing the point?

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Great BaL of Fire : David Owen Norris full of Wit, Vivacity, Insights and Enthusiasm

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            David Owen Norris is an engaging fellow who wears his knowledge with an appealing lightness. Full of insights; POW! what an amazing job Kyril Kondrashin and Richter made of the finale! Heroic stuff - but can you stand those braying trumpets at its climax? I liked DON's attention to the Friedmann / Paris / Gombert early version from the 1920s. Dreadful start from IF but the handling of the slower section introduced by solo flute had a wonderful feel for the "right " tempo plus lovely pseudo-improvisation from the pianist. DON was good at spotting little details - e.g. Dennis Brain playing the horn version of the famous cello tune in one version. I enjoyed that version by a soon-to-die NZ pianist with George Weldon . Dinu Lipatti ( a version I know well) came out well. I loved Stephen Hough's clean articulation. As for Mustonen "the composer" - what was he on?
            Did you hear the bassoon on the Michelangeli war-time in Italy recording - sharper than the average lime! Howard Shelley came across as very thoughtful- shame he was his own conductor which led to orchestral untidiness.

A splendid BaL

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              - but can you stand those braying trumpets at its climax?
              - and

After the programme I listened to Richter's performance (Russian Revelation label) and indeed, those trumpets are quite frankly awful. Totally impinging and not welcome - almost as if they shouldn't be there at all!

Comment

• amateur51

- and

After the programme I listened to Richter's performance (Russian Revelation label) and indeed, those trumpets are quite frankly awful. Totally impinging and not welcome - almost as if they shouldn't be there at all!
                Different Strokes Dept ... I love them, but not as my only version, I agree

Comment

• neiltingley
                  • Sep 2011

Indeed. Still he couldn't resists a little side swipe at Glenn Gould!!

Comment

• neiltingley
                    • Sep 2011

Not from Norris. He's no fan. Gould nearly recorded the Grieg with Ormandy but cancelled the sessions, sadly! Gould was related to Grieg through his Mother's family (a Grieg!)

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

except why not 4.30-6.30pm Monday to Friday ?
                      ...and while he's at it, 6 - 9am Mon to Fri too.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
                        Indeed. Still he couldn't resists a little side swipe at Glenn Gould!!
                        Does DON have form re dissing Glenn Gould, then neiltingley?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I don't have a recording of this piece - just checked, my collection skips from Granados to Handel (and I don't think it's coupled with anything else)... It's a piece I'm happy to hear if it crops up on the radio or in a concert. I can do without the first movement, although the slow movement always surprises me with how lovely it is.

I won't be buying one now either, but despite that I loved this BAL. For me DON's contributions to anything are a complete treat.

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          This reviewer seems to end up being a caricature of himself; my prediction is that he will be the centre of the review, rather than the music.
                          I'm sorry you feel that way, VD; I side with all the positive things said above about his approach - it seems to me that there is more instruction about the piece in question and the various recordings considered than with any other reviewer. And all delivered with a humour and light touch that I think are ideally judged. Any self-referential comments are at the service of the review - I loved the bit about him improvising his organ voluntary using the Grieg 'formula' (four bar figure twice then repeated higher up) and despite not using a Grieg melody, it coming out sounding like Grieg!

And yes the odd delicious put-down (If you look closely you can see Zimerman behind Karajan on the record cover ... Mustonen: "his notes make much of the fact that he's a composer and so he plays differently from everyone else" ).

Some oddities for sure - esp overlooking that Ansdnes did re-record it! - and the final choice eccentric: yes, a joy for piano fanciers but can the orchestral backing / recording warrant it as the 'library' choice?

Like ammy, Richard Farrell's way with the piece I found very attractive, ditto Lipatti... and like others I didn't like the sound of Hough at all...

I think I will try and hear / record the Richter in its entirely - I trust DON enough to want to test his choice by hearing the whole thing.

Meantime - a 50 minute pleasure trip: cheers Norris
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I won't be buying one now either, but despite that I loved this BAL. For me DON's contributions to anything are a complete treat.

You echo my feelings. I didn't think I had more than the odd recording, but find the number to be more than twelve. How these war horses pile up when your back is turned!

I don't really want another, but much enoyed the programme. (Anyone called DON must be a winner, anyway.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              You echo my feelings. I didn't think I had more than the odd recording, but find the number to be more than twelve. How these war horses pile up when your back is turned!

I don't really want another, but much enoyed the programme. (Anyone called DON must be a winner, anyway.)

I don't find that with war-horses - none piling up here, I've been at pains to make sure my collection is no knacker's yard!! Even the Schumann PCs I have don't have the Grieg with them
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Even the Schumann PCs I have don't have the Grieg with them
                                Doesn't this defy the laws of Physics or something?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X