Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

It sounds as though you have been blinded to the quality of Beecham the conductor by the image that has grown up of Beecham the 'character'.

I found the survey very interesting and sometimes enlightening.

One criticism I have is that RC seemed to concentrate on the slow movements from the Haydn/Mozart box, giving the impression that the whole box comprised romantically indulgent playing. I've sampled a few of the Haydn symphonies from the box using Spotify and found them a constant delight - wonderful stuff though not exactly HIPP.

By the way, the Haydn/Mozart, the French, the English Music, and the Great Communicator boxes are all available on Spotify should anyone wish to investigate further.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 14-03-11, 19:10. Reason: Removal of quote

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      - wonderful stuff though not exactly HIPP.
      There are some of us who don't regard that as in any way a bad thing.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        By the way, the Haydn/Mozart, the French, the English Music, and the Great Communicator boxes are all available on Spotify should anyone wish to investigate further.
        I have all the contents of the main boxes in previous EMI incarnations, but I bought the Great Communicator box and am about three quarters through it. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in Beecham and what he was and did. Over five hours sounds a lot, but any less would have been skimping and in no way does it drag. Full marks to EMI for giving it the treatment it deserves.

(I quite enjoyed Rob's amiable ramble this morning but it didn't tell me anything new, and I don't think it was worthy of the BaL tag. However, if it draws a new set of listeners to TB's output, then all to the good.)
        Last edited by Guest; 12-03-11, 18:51. Reason: Somehow an 'Angry' icon got attached to my post, which wasn't my intention!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

There may be a place for this kind of BaL, but it concerns me that there have been two so close together. Having said said that, it was probably of interest to people with a passing knowledge of Beecham, so I felt it was worthwhile.
          But there are so many works deserving a BaL discussion that appear never to be considered.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            There may be a place for this kind of BaL
            Am I being cynical in thinking that it allows a presenter to ride a current hobby horse without the rigour of a comprehensive review. Surely that is a feature and is what the rest of CD review is for. A review of Beecham or Bruckner should be in addition to Building a Library.

Mike

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

I agree. The Beecham discussion should have been in the 10.30 slot after BaL - it was more a case of discussing new reissues or recordings. But I don't see anything wrong with having it as an item. After all, we've had discussions about particular artists' recordings before.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Well, this is where you write to if you have suggestions cdreview@bbc.co.uk
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

One thing that was not mentioned in BAL was that the best of the EMI Beecham has been issued on CD prior to this release. I collected the CDs in the EMI Beecham Collection in the 1990s, supplementing them with the Dutton re-masterings of his pre-war Mozart, and the Delius on Somm and Naxos Historical.
                  This is perhaps worth pointing out for those who may not wish to buy the boxes, since some of this material can probably be found second hand.
                  Now, I shall have to print my Beecham list before investigating the contents of the new sets.

Comment

• Don Petter

Ferret,

My position exactly, as mentioned in #49. That's why I've only bought the Great Communicator documentary box (which I recommend), and have ordered the Somm Schubert 9th Symphony CD.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

I did find the programme interesting but agree with others that this type of survey is not the point of BAL. My collection is a little light on Beecham and but it was not clear enough to me what exactly was being recommended. Presto are usually quick off the mark but I note that they have not identified any recordings to feature.

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

What a treat it was to hear the erudite Jon Tolansky on Radio 3 (albeit briefly). When did that last happen?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Rob seemed a bit retoicent in answrrting Andrew's final question about which one he would settle for? I got the impression that he wasn't really too keen in answering it?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Rob seemed a bit retoicent in answrrting Andrew's final question about which one he would settle for? I got the impression that he wasn't really too keen in answering it?
                            On reflection I have the impression that RC wasn't overly enamoured or captivated by any of the choices on offer. There was little or none of the irrepressible enthusiasm that he often has.

On the whole, in spite of enjoying the hour, it was mostly an amiable ramble through the recent EMI boxes and did very little to demonstrate why Beecham was such a special conductor and I can't see anyone rushing out to buy on the basis of the programme. Even more so when very little music was played from the box he finally happened upon as his favourite out of the five.

Disappointing.

And I agree with others that it shouldn't have occupied the BAL slot.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I'm just grateful that the BBC recognised the 50th anniversary of, probably, this country's most important conductor/impresario and are playing some of his recordings this morning. I mentioned StSaens 'Omphale's Spinning Wheel' in M20 and it still seems to me that the recording of this work contains all the best of the Beecham magic and the playing of the RPO at that time. I appreciate the La Boheme of Beecham/Vctoria de los Angeles. I went to all her solo recitals at the RFH but Idon't buy
                              opera recordings

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                                I'm just grateful that the BBC recognised the 50th anniversary of, probably, this country's most important conductor/impresario and are playing some of his recordings this morning. I mentioned StSaens 'Omphale's Spinning Wheel' in M20 and it still seems to me that the recording of this work contains all the best of the Beecham magic and the playing of the RPO at that time. I appreciate the La Boheme of Beecham/Vctoria de los Angeles. I went to all her solo recitals at the RFH but Idon't buy
                                opera recordings
                                He's certainly an important and influential conductor of the period, Sal, but I'm not sure if I would personally say he was THE most important. Other conductors come to mind, Boult, Goodall, Mackerras (if you count him as British?) and I've probably missed out at least one.

Anyway, all conductors are over rated!!

Comment

Working...
                                X