BaL 12.03.11 Recordings from Sir Thomas Beecham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT

For the second time in 3 weeks, I wouldn't regard this as a BaL. Like the Bruckner symphonies review, surely a review of Beecham recordings should be allocated a slot later in the programme, and BaL reserved for consideration of a single work, as per the tried and trusted format.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      There wasn't all that many from CBS, was there though?
      Not all that many - no, but his Mozart symphony legacy is to be found mainly on his CBS issues - numbers 31, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40 & 41. Also, there's a Beechamesque Mozart Requiem that has some rather silly touching up of the orchestration, replacing the trombone with a solo cello in the Tuba Mirum - quite bizarre.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

I'm looking forward to the time when BAL does something truly adventurous, like do us a survey of something post 1950. We seem to be going further and further back into CFM territory.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Ive noticed this trend to, DracoM. I hope this flagship R3 programme is not going that way. Personally,I would loove R3 CDR to have a section every now and again of the serious repertoire of brass band music. (Pie in the sky there I think!)
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Sir Thomas Beecham

I find it hard to realise that I came out of the Augener building to see 'Conductor Dies' on the newsboards, but it is 50 years ago that Britain lost,surely, it's most colourful maestro.
            I am glad that Rob C mentioned the anniversary and also glad to hear that he is reviewing some Beecham discs on Saturday next.
            I love the way Beecham could make something like the Overture Donna Diana or St Saens' Omphale's Spinning Wheel into sheer magic. There was more to him than this though. Any thoughts on favourites?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

There is already a discussion about Sir Thomas on CD Review

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I agree it hardly seems possible that it was half a century ago.
                With his records where do you start - no duds.
                Carmen and Boheme are justly renowned recordings and his re-scored Messiah hits the spot for me at least. What about his Sibelius syms and the unsurpassed Leminkainen's Return with LPO in the thirties and the BBC studio recording of Saint Saens Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah - wow!
                The Berlioz overture recordings and the Mozart syms with the RPO - 31, 35, and the last four were my first introductions to him on disc and my fondness for them remains, but his final recording is the one I listen to most - Ein Heldenleben. The LP has a poignant sleeve note describing the recording session and was issued 'In Memoriam'. Unfortunately the disc is clicky and noisy through over-use but who cares.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Sorry mine Host, over to CD review then.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I think we had several quite long discussions about Sir T in the old place. I went to see if I could still find them - I recall a discussion about recordings with smittims.

I did find this though - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F6...thread=6152304 - about Beecham and Sibelius - a bit of nostalgia for some, and if you log in (it still works, and you can still get lists of your own postings) you'll probably keep access to that place for a while longer.

Someone else might manage to find the thread we had about Beecham's recordings.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

My first real listening to classical music was on a reel to reel tape called Beechams Lollipops.....I still whistle some of those tracks now....Saint Saen, Berlioz,....
                      bong ching

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Dave thank you so much for putting that thread from the old MBs on here. It makes me realise how I miss them,
                        I've forgotten how to access them but will have a go I think.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          Sorry mine Host, over to CD review then.
                          OUCH!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Were any CBS Beecham recordings made in stereo? I'd be surprised, as they seem to date from the early '50s.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              Dave thank you so much for putting that thread from the old MBs on here. It makes me realise how I miss them,
                              I've forgotten how to access them but will have a go I think.
                              salymap

Just click on the link I put there. You can still login with your old username and password (Sign In is in blue near the top), and from there you can see your posts. With ingenuity you can then see most of the old MBs, and view other people's posts. I'm sure we had a thread there about Beecham, but I couldn't find it quickly. I may have a go later.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

My only Beecham is Tchaikovsky symphony no.4.

In F minor.

There's a picture of him on the cover smoking a cigar. WHY do they do that?

3VS

Comment

Working...
                                X