Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ostuni
    • Nov 2010

Ah, MickyD, that Harnoncourt SMP was one of the biggest influences on my musical life. Hearing it in 1971, when it first appeared, I was an impressionable gap-year student; within a year I had bought my first baroque flute, and 4 years later went to the Guildhall to study it properly... But, for singers, James Bowman was my ideal of what a countertenor should sound like. He's on that SMP recording, of course, and Esswood's very different vocal style just never clicked with me.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

But Esswood in the famous Tolz/ Schneidt / 1610 Vespers.........very fine indeed, surely?

Comment

• ostuni
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        very fine indeed, surely?
        Very high indeed, certainly!

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I agree, Ostuni, I came to baroque music just a little bit later on in the 70s than you and never forget hearing Bowman in that vintage Vivaldi "Stabat Mater" with Hogwood. In my opinion, it's never been bettered.

As for the SMP, I got it on LP but for some reason never bought the CD reissue - I would love to get hold of it and listen again, but it is selling for a ridiculous price on Amazon at present.

Comment

Working...
          X