• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 5.10.13 – Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera

9.30am Building a Library
    Roger Parker surveys recordings of Verdi's opera Un ballo in maschera and makes a personal recommendation

Available versions:-

La Scala, Claudio Abbado
    Orchestra dell’Accadema Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, Bruno Baroletti
    Leipzig Opera & Gewandhausorchester, Riccardo Chailly
    Madrid SO & Chorus, Jesus Lopez Cobos (Blu-ray/DVD)
    ROH, Sir Colin Davis
    NHK SO, Oliviero de Fabritis
    Teatro Comunale di Bologna, Oliviero de Fabritis
    La Scala, Gianandrea Gavazzeni (alternative versions)
    Teatro Regio di Parma, Gianluigi Gelmetti (Blu-ray/DVD)
    Vienna State Opera, Miguel-Angel Gomez-Martinis
    Vienna State Opera, VPO, Herbert von Karajan (download)
    RCA Italiana Opera Chorus & Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf
    Metropolitan Opera, James Levine
    Metropolitan Opera, Dimitri Mitropoulos (alternative casts)
    ROH. New Philharmonia, Riccardo Muti
    Geoffrey Mitchell Choir, LPO, David Parry
    Metropolitan Opera, Giuseppe Patane (DVD)
    Orchestra Sinfonica e Coro di Torino della RAI, Angelo Questa
    Metropolitan Opera, Nello Santi
    Suisse Romande, Nino Sanzogno
    Metropolitan Opera, Thomas Schippers
    Rome Opera, Tullio Serafin
    ROH, Tullio Serafin
    Accademia di Santa Cecilia, Rome, Sir Georg Solti (download)
    National PO, Sir Georg Solti
    Vienna State Opera, VPO, Sir Georg Solti (DVD)
    Berlin Radio, Steiner
    Teatro Comunale Firenze, Emidio Tieri
    Arturo Toscanini (1954)
    La Scala, Nino Verchi
    La Scala, Antonino Votti
    Metropolitan Opera, Bruno Walter
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 27-02-15, 13:46.
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Worra lorra Ballos. Astonishing.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

A load of complete Ballos, in fact.

I'll be sitting this one out...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

When it comes to listing operas for BaL, it might have been be more helpful to list casts as well as opera companies, orchestra and conductors, but that was just too time consuming.

Sorry.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Roger Parker always good value on Verdi - expert and entertaining.

The only time I've seen Ballo (WNO) performed, the action was restored to its real setting (it's a true story) - Stockholm, on 15 and 16 March 1792, with the characters given their real names as per Verdi's original version - King Gustav lll, Counts Ribbing and Horn (the conspirators) etc. He was forced to remove the setting to 17th century Boston to satisfy the Vatican censors and get the work performed in Rome. A shame IMV that most modern productions and recordings (inc mine - Domingo/Arroyo/Muti/ROH) stick to the "censored" version, but doubtless RP will shed more light on the matter. I'm certainly not in the market for another version

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            When it comes to listing operas for BaL, it might have been be more helpful to list casts as well as opera companies, orchestra and conductors, but that was just too time consuming.

Sorry.
            If you were receiving a portion of the Licence Fee, and had nothing else to do, we might expect this of you, Alpie. As it is, you offer far better value than the officials in charge of Beeb websites.

Many Thanks
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              If you were receiving a portion of the Licence Fee, and had nothing else to do, we might expect this of you, Alpie. As it is, you offer far better value than the officials in charge of Beeb websites.

Many Thanks
              Seconded.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

& thirded

Comment

• martin_opera

Ballo is top drawer Verdi and may even be his best opera - combining public and private (as he so often does) but with a sense of exubernace running through the middle that changes the overall effect of the opera and in a great performance really endures you to the protaganists.

My top three are Colin Davis (with Carreras and Caballe) who really brings out the fun of the piece and is always woefully under rated, Claudio Abbado (with Domingo and Ricciarelli) probably the best library choice and all rounder and Riccardo Muti (Domingo again and Arroyo) which is alittle more daring in some of the speeds. You can't ignore Callas but she isn't well supported by Votto in her studio recording and the sound on the Gavazenni live set is just tolerable. I haven't warmed to the Karajan (it has its fans), either of the Solti readings or the Bartoletti (save for the wonderful Pavarotti performance) and the less said about the Rizzi version (think it might be missing from the list - WNO I think) the better. Leinsdorf on RCA is good middle ground especially for Bergonzi and Verrett but I always feel a little disappointed with Leontyne Price as she makes heavy work of the arias (good duet with Bergonzi though).

Gramophone did this recently and plumped for the live Callas I think with Muti and Panizza as runners up.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

The Toscanini 1954 mentioned above is from NBC broadcasts only a few months before his retirement, aged 87, and is on the bumper RCA Arturo Toscanini Collection. I really enjoyed it, (especially having found a site that does parallel English/Italian libretti.) The other one I know is Callas and the only time I have seen it live was in German at the Meiningen Theatre in what was East Germany, soon after reunification. It was here that Brahms conducted the premiere of his Fourth.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

The only time I've seen Ballo (WNO) performed, the action was restored to its real setting (it's a true story) - Stockholm, on 15 and 16 March 1792, with the characters given their real names as per Verdi's original version - King Gustav lll, Counts Ribbing and Horn (the conspirators) etc. He was forced to remove the setting to 17th century Boston to satisfy the Vatican censors and get the work performed in Rome. A shame IMV that most modern productions and recordings (inc mine - Domingo/Arroyo/Muti/ROH) stick to the "censored" version, but doubtless RP will shed more light on the matter. I'm certainly not in the market for another version
                      It was performed in the Stockholm setting by the Royal Opera at Covent Garden in the 1970s, and it was revived frequently. The sets were mostly gauzes with very effective shifting lighting perspectives for this nocturnal opera, which of course were completely lost when it was filmed with television lighting. I saw it often and recall Bergonzi as probably the most sylish interpreter (when was he not?) of Gustavo. He occasionally forgot that he was in Stockholm and referred to characters from the Boston version. Nicolai Gedda, in the autumn of his career, was equally stylish, but decided to play up the effeminate side of the historical Gustav, as a recent Stockholm production had required.

I recall reading or hearing that somewhere along the censorship route the opera's setting was intended to be Naples, which explains some of the jolly rhythms unsuitable to Protestant Sweden or Puritan Boston.
                      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 04-10-13, 22:33.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        A load of complete Ballos, in fact.

I'll be sitting this one out...
                        Lovely post Cali! I be sitting in this one! Go for a pint of spitfire (or two!!)
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Lovely post Cali! I be sitting in this one! Go for a pint of spitfire (or two!!)

... at half-past-nine in the morning???!!!

RESPECT!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

... at half-past-nine in the morning???!!!

RESPECT!

Three weeks of John Flamin' Williams and then a week of Verdi, I feel like breakfast by Tanqueray or Smirnoff rather than Shepherd Neame...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                              It was performed in the Stockholm setting by the Royal Opera at Covent Garden in the 1970s, and it was revived frequently. The sets were mostly gauzes with very effective shifting lighting perspectives for this nocturnal opera, which of course were completely lost when it was filmed with television lighting. I saw it often and recall Bergonzi as probably the most sylish interpreter (when was he not?) of Gustavo. He occasionally forgot that he was in Stockholm and referred to characters from the Boston version. Nicolai Gedda, in the autumn of his career, was equally stylish, but decided to play up the effeminate side of the historical Gustav, as a recent Stockholm production had required.

I recall reading or hearing that somewhere along the censorship route the opera's setting was intended to be Naples, which explains some of the jolly rhythms unsuitable to Protestant Sweden or Puritan Boston.
                              Thank you for this, AM, fascinating stuff. Bergonzi

Comment

Working...
                              X