X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I hjavnt read that book. Mind you these days, not much time!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Did you not find Haselbock's Dante Symphony just too dull and literal, despite its textural attractions? I actually sent my copy back after comparing it to the scintillating and very dramatic Les Siecles recording with Francois-Xavier Roth (also a HIPS one). The latter has much more poetry and sheer grip!
      Hi Jayne,
      I thoroughly enjoyed the Habelbock recording, I found it far more exciting and powerful than any of the other performances I've heard. However, i can't say I've heard the Les Siecles recording (although i have heard of it) yet so I will keep my ears open!
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I listened to this BAL with optimism, hoping to discover a hidden gem...

Sadly, with each extract, I found the modulations, the cadences, the melodic and harmonic material, and the overall argument or expression of the piece devoid of meaning for me, banal to the point of being annoying. I really tried, promise. It's not the 'flashy'/'brash' thing either - that's not the point.... It's just the emptiness. It's expressing nothing, to me.

I thought it interesting that, even with such a range of top performers to choose from (yes, I know the argument - if Brendel, Richter et all devote time to playing it, there must be something to it... )... but even with that range of interpreters, and a relatively unfamiliar piece, this BAL set some sort of a record for brevity, barely 38 minutes I think.
        As is said later one man's meat.....I purchased the winner and play it regularly - I find it wonderful .......

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          As is said later one man's meat.....I purchased the winner and play it regularly - I find it wonderful .......

Everyone needs a bit of OTT bombast in their life I find!

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Everyone needs a bit of OTT bombast in their life I find!
            Yes, one of those pieces where you can just relax and let the poetic touches and beautiful sounds wash over you. Though there is bombast in Liszt, when you go back to listen (in a positive frame of mind), I find you discover there is far less than you thought.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Just been reading about him - in Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror", her account of "the Calamitous Fourteenth Century" as she, or her publisher, called it.
              Excellent book, only a pity she didn't annotate it properly, though with the bibliography you can reconstruct a lot - but not her archival founds, unfortunately.

Btw, Enguerrand VIII de Coucy is the great-grandson of the trouvère/composer Enguerrand VI de Coucy.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I have enjoyed the Berman/Giulini accounts a lot recently .

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I have Michel Beroff, Leipzig GO/Masur. But I presume no longer available? Also Krystian Zimmermann, BSO/Ozawa. It's unfortunate that Martha Argerich hasn't recorded this.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I have Michel Beroff, Leipzig GO/Masur. But I presume no longer available?
                    It's in the Internet hinterland, Bbm - the complete works for Piano & Orchestra on two CDs for a tenner (or slightly less, second-hand):
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I have Michel Beroff, Leipzig GO/Masur. But I presume no longer available? Also Krystian Zimmermann, BSO/Ozawa. It's unfortunate that Martha Argerich hasn't recorded this.
                      Argerich has never been a completist, Bbm - she only plays music that means something to her. I think we have to accept that.

There again, perhaps one day ...?

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        I have enjoyed the Berman/Giulini accounts a lot recently .

Julius Katchen with the LPO under Argenta is quite spectacular.
                        Richter/LSO/Kondrashin - sheer excellence.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          It's in the Internet hinterland, Bbm - the complete works for Piano & Orchestra on two CDs for a tenner (or slightly less, second-hand):
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oeuvres-Pour...rtos%2C+beroff
                          Ah, no fear, Ferney! I have the recording already! Just coulod'nt se it lis(z)t(?!?!?!?!)
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Benjamin Grosvenor playing this live with the Halle tomorrow

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I can see now why the appreciation for the Katchen recording - spectacular stuff and very well accompanied .

Comment

Working...
                              X