Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

It is a shame they only recorded four discs but the Brendel/Mackerras recordings were a serious cut above the Marriner records IMO - much more interesting accompaniments.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

A favourite which is not on Eine Alpensinfonie's list is Larrocha with the VSO and Yuri Segal, perhaps it was deleted. This disc also has a most beautiful performance of No. 22
      K482
      This is really inexhaustible music, impossible to find a best buy I would think.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        A favourite which is not on Eine Alpensinfonie's list is Larrocha with the VSO and Yuri Segal, perhaps it was deleted. This disc also has a most beautiful performance of No. 22
        K482
        This is really inexhaustible music, impossible to find a best buy I would think.
        Precisely, Ferret

I hope that this BaL takes that as its starting point and while making a suggestion re 'the best', also leads us through some of the wonderful music-making that many performers have recorded. A potentially expensive Bal?

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

PORTAMENTO from the strings in Schnabel's 1937 recording with Sargent.

Swiftly dismissed by Mr Kenyon!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            PORTAMENTO from the strings in Schnabel's 1937 recording with Sargent.
            Yes: reminded me of Kind Hearts and Coronets!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Perahia also got short shrift for rather weak reasons - am a fan of the Goode though . Haskil sounded marvellous as ever . It is her recording I am prompted to play.

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

I found this a really tiresome, pedantic review, with many more comments finding fault than praising. In a work where it ought to be possible to delight in the various qualities of different recordings, it was almost like a Beckmesser marking off failings

Once again I found myself cursing the retention of the BaL format and wishing for the return of Interpretations on Record.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                  I found this a really tiresome, pedantic review, with many more comments finding fault than praising. In a work where it ought to be possible to delight in the various qualities of different recordings, it was almost like a Beckmesser marking off failings
                  Yes, I found I couldn't stay the course and switched off after about a quarter of an hour. A frequent problem I have listening to NK is that he sounds as if he's sneering even at the works and performances he admires.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

I fell asleep before the final deliberation! Who won?

Comment

• amateur51

I can understand why people found this BaL a bit pedantic but I did learn quite a bit and my big positive discovery was the later Barenboim performance. I was disappointed that the Schiff/Vegh performance was largely glossed over but I was pleased to listen to excerpts from several performances that I don't know & now realise that I don't need to - money saved

It was good to hear Haskil being so widely praised but it wasn't clear to me which of her several recordings he was referring to. I confess that I have most of them.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Andrew McGregor pulled out several 'winners' but the overall winner was the recording by Richard Goode, which sounded interesting but it didn't cause me to leap from my seat.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

He was clearly influenced by Ferret and Am at #32/33 and provided lots of options. The main one - the notional 'winner' - was Goode/ Orpheus but he also had kind words for Barenboim/BPO provided you don't mind the too-slow 2nd mov't (marked allegretto NB!). Can't recall what others were still on their feet at the finishing line, but it was pretty clear NK didn't subscribe to any crude "one best version" theory.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Goode and the Orpheus CO, though there were various other commendations including Barenboim/BPO and Bilson/EBS/Gardiner.

Comment

• cincinnatus
                              • Mar 2011

I am always more interested in the 'short list' than the eventual 'winner'. Besides Goode (only available as a download) there were Brendel and Marriner (recommended if you want a CD version), Bilson and Gardiner (for fortepiano), Pollini and Bohm ( for full orchestra), Haskill and BPO (historic) and Barenboim with the BPO. Hope that is of some help.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Yes - but no Pires and Perahia . The latter in the particular deserved much more consideration . It is superb .

Comment

Working...
                                X