• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Alison
    Just in case you realised you missed Edward S, you can comfort yourself this Saturday morning (23rd) on CD Review:

"10.30am
    Andrew talks to Edward Seckerson about recordings of symphonies by Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich"

Pleased to report I shall be at work for this one.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Don't worry - there's always iPlayer!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Alison, honestly I would try and have a listen. There were in fact no Mahler discs, contrary to billing - and ES was pretty spot on concerning the Bruckner and Shostakovich discs reviewed, I thought
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Alison, honestly I would try and have a listen. There were in fact no Mahler discs, contrary to billing - and ES was pretty spot on concerning the Bruckner and Shostakovich discs reviewed, I thought
          Ok, might have a go; not sure what's under review but probably not many Bernstein or MTT yardsticks for Seckers to bore us with

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Ok, might have a go; not sure what's under review but probably not many Bernstein or MTT yardsticks for Seckers to bore us with

Neither of those gentlemen was mentioned!

Comment

• Madame Suggia
              • Sep 2012

Still think Boulez and the VPO woz robbed

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I suppose JJ was truly on a hiding to nothing in this BAL . All but Abbado and Fischer fans were not going to be happy !

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
                  Many years ago, back in the '70's indeed, when Haitink was recording the three main Stravinsky ballets with the LPO in the Kingsway Hall....
                  A useful bit of extra info there Lauire, thanks. I do like to know the recording venues and my Philips disc for the Rite and Petrouchka just says "London, 1/73". I will enjoy it all the more knowing it is a KH special!
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                    A useful bit of extra info there Lauire, thanks. I do like to know the recording venues and my Philips disc for the Rite and Petrouchka just says "London, 1/73". I will enjoy it all the more knowing it is a KH special!
                    I'm sure Gordon had that nailed!

Comment

• Karafan
                      • Nov 2010

I'm sure Gordon had that nailed!
                      Yes, indeed, our resident KH supremo!
                      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

My copy of the Chailly/Concertgebouw performance has arrived, from the only reasonably-priced source I could find (in France) for this apparently rare deleted recording. Anxious to play it... I wish I wasn't out tonight and only home late

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

My copy of the Chailly/Concertgebouw performance has arrived, from the only reasonably-priced source I could find (in France) for this apparently rare deleted recording. Anxious to play it... I wish I wasn't out tonight and only home late
                          Did you catch his awesome PROMS account of the piece last year Caliban ?

Comment

• rank_and_file

If you are interested some kind person has posted the Abbado/Lucerne Festival Orchestra DVD on YouTube as one complete file here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As I downloaded it, intrigued to spot the pretty eminent players - Meyer and Gutman as examples. Amused that the camera oddly highlights the triangle for the odd note, completely inaudible!

There’s a Mahler 2 which I downloaded, but have not listened to yet.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Bump!

Have been away on hols and had a listen to the finales of all the 6ths on my (60GB) iPod. Reactions were as follows.

Solti - "brilliant" but ultimately too much like a concerto for orchestra and not human enough

Abbado/CSO - lovely textures and well played but not enough drama

Karajan/BPO - beautifully played yet utterly misconceived, lacking the sense of tragedy

Kubelik (Audite) - nicely rugged, quite modern sounding at times and the best introduction

Tennstedt (LPO Live) - v exciting but not coherently structured to my ear - I need to hear the live EMI again

Mitropoulos (NYPO) - simply staggering! Amazingly dramatic and incredibly well played for 1955. The winner!
                              Last edited by mathias broucek; 20-07-13, 06:51.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                                Bump!

Have been away on hols and had a listen to the finales of all the 6thank my (60GB) iPod. Reactions were as follows.

Solti - "brilliant" but ultimately too much like a concerto for orchestra and not human enough

Abbado/CSO - lovely textures and well played but not enough drama

Karajan/BPO - beautifully played yet utterly misconceived, lacking the sense of tragedy

Kubelik (Audite) - nicely rugged, quite modern sounding at times and the best introduction

Tennstedt (LPO Live) - v exciting but not coherently structured to my ear - I need to hear the live EMI again

Mitropoulos (NYPO) - simply staggering! Amazingly dramatic and incredibly well played for 1955. The winner!
                                What about Szell/Cleveland - a live recording, but you'd hardly know it (no winter coughs and snuffles here) I adore this Mahler sixth, but then it is perhaps his most personal work and all that entails...

Comment

Working...
                                X