• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
    I like my Mahler taken at a faster Tempo than the standard, There's been a lot of debate about how mahler intended them to be played, as far as the 6th goes I just heard Johnsons review on the podcast and have to say it was interesting opinion 90% of which I would disagree , the Royal Scottish National Orch with Jarvi on Chandos (72.32)(which he never included) a great opening movement and andante it remains my favourite and the only one that comes close is Bernsteins from the 1960s which he mentioned near the beginning of "his view" and rubbished because the"fast tempo missed some of the detail". as ever Building a Library. OPINION
    http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphon.../dp/B000000ASW
    UCanSeeTE - if you like a quick one (and who doesn't) try Kondrashin with the Leningrad Phil. At 65'40 without 1st movement repeat it's still quicker than Jarvi's 72'20 (which I've not heard) and it's a terrific performance (the later Kondrashin/SWR one is good but hasn't quite the same grip and drama).

Certainly in the last DSD remastering there's no lack of detail in the NYPO/Bernstein, a personal favourite and one of the greats again. One tends to go through phases with the 6th. At one time I was more responsive to a steadier tread, but instinctively I respond better to the swifter ones (maybe because my first was Solti...)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      if you like a quick one (and who doesn't)

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Wensleydale Blue

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I tend to agree, gradus. I tend to gawk and giggle if there's some distracting contraption being thacked or otherwise deployed. Wheelie-bin sized mutes being shoved into tubas will always amuse me.

This would have had me all over the place:

So I don't think the hammer should be made too theatrical - making a comedy melodrama out of a crisis is counter-productive.

The most overwhelming live Mahler 6 I ever went to was in the Barbican, I think it was a BBC orchestra, sometime in the 90s. No stars, no (melo)drama - just an honest, focussed performance - I recall tottering out with companion and walking out through all the concrete bunkers feeling that one had been given cathartic access to a human drama which just rendered one humbled and silent.

The only other comparable experience I can remember was during and after a Passover dinner I'd been invited to, when until the early hours we were told stories of her own experiences by a concentration camp survivor....
        Caliban - On that basis, the one on this page should get you well and truly tittering.......

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Wensleydale Blue View Post
          Caliban - On that basis, the one on this page should get you well and truly tittering.......

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WYsYBu_Kl1...HammerMan2.jpg

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Rather pleased this Mahler BaL isn't a Seckerson job.
            Alison
            Just in case you realised you missed Edward S, you can comfort yourself this Saturday morning (23rd) on CD Review:

"10.30am
            Andrew talks to Edward Seckerson about recordings of symphonies by Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich"

Comment

• amateur51

Alison
              Just in case you realised you missed Edward S, you can comfort yourself this Saturday morning (23rd) on CD Review:

"10.30am
              Andrew talks to Edward Seckerson about recordings of symphonies by Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

This BaL has now broken the previous record for the highest number of postings on this forum (in the BaL section).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  This BaL has now broken the previous record for the highest number of postings on this forum (in the BaL section).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    What was the previous record-holder, EA?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

The eponymous symphony with Sibelius 2 third ?
                      Last edited by Barbirollians; 21-02-13, 09:46.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                        • Dec 2010

I actually listen to Ed Seckeron's views, Shostakovich in particular. Maybe something to do with his selection of SNO/ Jarvi as the best recording of the 10th Symphony
                        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I haven't managed to listen to it yet, so I'll download it. However, I've just looked at the download site & although it says that the download is an edited version (which I understood it to be, with the length of the music examples reduced) the timing given for the download is 46 minutes, the same as it is in the programme listings (the other BaL downloads are also in the 45 min region). Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I haven't managed to listen to it yet, so I'll download it. However, I've just looked at the download site & although it says that the download is an edited version (which I understood it to be, with the length of the music examples reduced) the timing given for the download is 46 minutes, the same as it is in the programme listings (the other BaL downloads are also in the 45 min region). Can anyone shed any light on this?
                            Caliban seemed to think that, since December, they have stopped editing down the excerpts for the podcast, an infuriating aspect that was, apparently, related to music rights...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Jolly good if that's right - & it would seem to be. They used to lose about 15 minutes, & although in many programmes the analysis of the work was as interesting (if not more) as the analysis of the recordings the latter is useful if one is thinking of buying a first (or 2nd, or 3rd ...) recording, & it's useful to be able to hear what's being talked about.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                                Caliban seemed to think that, since December, they have stopped editing down the excerpts for the podcast, an infuriating aspect that was, apparently, related to music rights...
                                These posts re: Composer of the Week touch on the question:

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                I normally catch COTW on the iplayer. However, this thread has prompted me to seek out some of the archived COTW podcasts. My first thoughts are that there is precious little music to listen to! While one appreciates that there are rights issues involved, one would like to hear more than the 10-15 second snippets one gets on the podcasts, particularly frustrating with little known composers
                                True, but what's odd is that the podcast of Building a Library seems to have shaken off the same shackles - as of December, the BaL podcasts carry the clips in full, whereas before even they were curtailed. The 45 min broadcast would be reduced to 35 or so.

It's perhaps different with CotW where full movements or pieces are generally played on air.
                                It is a good thing, as in the old 'pared-down' days, the reviewer would sometimes introduce an excerpt highlighting a particular feature which was cut off the abridged podcast clip of music, rendering the thing pointless/incomprehensible.

It's a small but welcome change.

Comment

Working...
                                X