BaL 24.11.12 & 19.10.13 Mozart's Piano Sonata no. 8 in A minor (K.310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    I'm afraid I wasn't at all impressed with the Uchida. It sounded brash, as if she was trying to play in a Beethovenian rage.

Golly... Didn't strike me like that at all.. I mean to listen to her performance complete this weekend, I'll report back.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      In preparation for today's BaL, I sat down at the piano and played through this sonata. It was one one my Grade 8 pieces in 1967.
      <Iamnotworthyemoticon>!

What a superb work it is, sounding quite magnificent on a modern piano.
      - and, as illustrated on this morning's BaL, how even more so when played on the sort of instrument Mozart intended - how that composer knew and exploited the full range of colours of the instruments for which he wrote.

I'll contribute to the general applause for SP, too; all the time his focus was on the Music as something extraordinary, something to make the lives of its listeners just that little bit better - and his deep appreciation for so many different approaches to the work from Musicians who were equally committed to this Music. Such a difference from those reviewers who seem to believe that the composer wrote a work merely to allow that reviewer to demonstrate their own erudition.

Brautigam, Pires, Schnabel* and Goode sounded splendid to me!

(* = stirring my porridge this morning, I thought he was referring to a recording by "Arthur Scargill"! A miner, indeed!)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

What recording " won " ? I hope Lipatti topped the historical choices .

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Richard Goode, with Schnabel as the historical choice.
          IMV he should have chosen a 'period winner' as well. Bart van Oort sounded wonderful.
          Maybe he did choose a 'best HIPP' and I missed it...?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Goode for modern, Schanbel for historic (he loved the Lipatti but thought the lack of repeats, understandable given Lipatti's health, militated against it as a library choice)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
              Maybe he did choose a 'best HIPP' and I missed it...?
              Of those available, he said that Brautigam was his favoured HIPP recording, but then said that another period pianist (whose name I missed!) might soon be recording the A minor and, judging by that performer's previous recordings, that would be worth waiting for.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                .... then said that another period pianist (whose name I missed!) might soon be recording the A minor and, judging by that performer's previous recordings, that would be worth waiting for.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I will search out and spin my 'live' concert recording of John Tilbury playing the work. Unless I missed it, Lubimov did not get a mention. I hold Uchida's Mozart and Schubert recordings of fairly equal low regard. Just not my cup of tea.

Comment

• John Shelton

Of those available, he said that Brautigam was his favoured HIPP recording, but then said that another period pianist (whose name I missed!) might soon be recording the A minor and, judging by that performer's previous recordings, that would be worth waiting for.
                      Kristian Bezuidenhout, I'd guess. It should be worth waiting for judging from earlier issues (he's putting recitals together, not a chronological survey). Brautigam's Beethoven and his Mozart concertos are fine but I found the Mozart sonatas dull when I heard them. He seems much more interesting now. The Lubimov box is exciting and Badura-Skoda (for me) is always engrossing.

It's probably only me, but I admire Sviatoslav Richter's Mozart. I like his resistance to so-called 'Mozartian' style. (Did he record K310?) Maria-João Pires is otherwise the best modern instrument recording I've heard (though so what if I think that I suppose).

I stopped listening to BAL because I realised I didn't care what the reviewers thought. Or said. Just like I gave up reading CD reviews. Not because I think I'm right and they're wrong or anything like that. Just lost interest in CD reviews completely. So what am I doing on this thread? What indeed?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Unless I missed it, I don't think Lubimov even got a mention.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I will search out and spin my 'live' concert recording of John Tilbury playing the work.
                          - an astonishing Musician, much neglected by the record companies to the loss of the greater public; I'd no idea the work was in his repertoire!

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

John Tilbury and Mozart K310 -
                            : I'd no idea the work was in his repertoire!
                            Nobody would if they put his name into Youtube looking for examples!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

- an astonishing Musician, much neglected by the record companies to the loss of the greater public; I'd no idea the work was in his repertoire!
                              Oh dear. How embarrassing. I was relying on memory of a concert I recorded some 14 years ago at Conway Hall. I have found the CD-R later made from it and it turns out to have been K570 he played on that occasion, not K310.

Most of the concert consisted of works by Christan Wolff, but in the context of works by Mozart and Haydn (believe it or not, my introduction to Haydn's wonderful Variations in f minor Hob.XVII:6).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                I'm afraid I wasn't at all impressed with the Uchida. It sounded brash, as if she was trying to play in a Beethovenian rage.
                                I used this rainy day free of commitments to listen (among other things) to the Uchida complete. I think that judgment is a little harsh, but it's true that she plays the minor-key drama with some 'edge' - not the forced, ugly tone I found in the Cleveland concerto performance. I find it a compelling performance, well-recorded (how many piano recordings are spoiled by the acoustic or engineering side of things...). I don't feel any need to acquire another performance, I don't think. Mozart piano sonatas are not pieces I listen to regularly. The piano concertos: they're the things!

Comment

Working...
                                X