Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I listened to the whole programme, as it was rather a good one. Especially as it has WW1 as it's theme. Back on topic. I can see why the reviewer chose this one, of Truls Mork/CBSO/Rattle. It just does give that impression of saying that this is how the piece should be played. I did feel that, in some ways this was Elgar's Requiem, here, perhaps even more so than the Du Pre version.

I can see this work alongside Frank Bridge's Oration for cello and orchestra(which I rate quite highly), in some respects.

I will most certainly be acquiring this version, at somepoint.
    Great review Bbm

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Well to each their own . I think too much can be made of it being written in 1919 . I don't see it as an entirely dark and depressing work but that is how it came across in that performance this morning .

Comment

• amateur51

The bleakest performance I've ever heard was Heinrich Schiff's 'live' at the Barbican in London with LSO/Sir Colin Davis. I

The BaL made me want to listen to the J-G Queyras performance with Belohlavek. Does anyone have it?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          The bleakest performance I've ever heard was Heinrich Schiff's 'live' at the Barbican in London with LSO/Sir Colin Davis. I

The BaL made me want to listen to the J-G Queyras performance with Belohlavek. Does anyone have it?
          Interesting there is quite a lot of light and shade in Schiff's lovely performance with the Halle and Elder.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Yes, I've got it. I'll maybe unwrap it before the weekend and report back.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Yes, I've got it. I'll maybe unwrap it before the weekend and report back.
              Cheers pg - I was fascinated by what I heard played on BaL

Comment

Working...
              X