Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    It seems that Wolf has few followers on these boards - and ditto among the wider music-loving community.

It wasn't always so.

In fact, the reputations of Wolf and Mahler (born the same year, they shared a room as students in Vienna) have reversed over the past half century or so.

If I had to choose between them, I'd have Wolf.

Am I alone?
    No.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Well, a deafening silence so far on Hilary Finch's programme

She did at least manage to pick a winner between two complete sets (ES/DF-D/Moore and Otter/Bar/Parsons), even if neither of them - according to EA - is easily available on a solid format.

I own both of them, the former on LP and the latter on CD, and don't hugely like either of them! As recorded elsewhere I have a real problem with DF-D's voice and style so having bought the classic DG complete version in my student days to learn the songs, but not totally falling for the performances, I snapped up the Bar/Otter set but wasn't greatly struck by it, particularly (a) the reordering of the cycle, (b) Bar's performances.

Today HF's comparisons showed up how much more he could have done with the words if he'd learnt from DF-D, but I still don't much like the latter. But he did (IMO) sound better in the 1950s recordings from the big EMI Wolf box - might have to check that out!

I was very surprised that Hyperion/ Graham Johnson haven't given us a complete recording yet.
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Well, a deafening silence so far on Hilary Finch's programme
        Sorry, LMP; I'll speak up:

The ones that are usually recommended (as this morning) always sound - and I do apologize to everyone for whom these performances are balm to the soul - "hammy" and/or "AmDram" (yes, even my belovéd DF-D here - though I can imagine these performances "ringing" in a Recital Hall, in my small Music Room, they're too "declamatory"). I think I might go for the Bär & von Otter disc, or the Orchestral versions on CAPRICCIO.

In any case, I'm grateful for this BaL (and for verissimo's comments) in re-awakening my curiosity about this composer.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

The ones that are usually recommended (as this morning) always sound - and I do apologize to everyone for whom these performances are balm to the soul - "hammy" and/or "AmDram" (yes, even my belovéd DF-D here - though I can imagine these performances "ringing" in a Recital Hall, in my small Music Room, they're too "declamatory"). I think I might go for the Bär & von Otter disc, or the Orchestral versions on CAPRICCIO.

In any case, I'm grateful for this BaL (and for verissimo's comments) in re-awakening my curiosity about this composer.

I'm afraid that by the time I'd clocked the grey, damp,and cold morning and made my first cuppa, the item in question held very little appeal, even tho' I was keen to learn.

I'll listen with interest maybe in a day or two

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

they're too "declamatory")

All right, there's no need to shout!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              All right, there's no need to shout!

Comment

• Don Petter

Wolf's vocal works are not a field that has ever caught my interest. I started to listen to BaL, but I'm afraid attention wandered, as the music and HF were neither enough to capture me. My loss, I am sure.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Wolf's vocal works are not a field that has ever caught my interest. I started to listen to BaL, but I'm afraid attention wandered, as the music and HF were neither enough to capture me. My loss, I am sure.
                  Ditto. It will take me a long time to appreciate Wolf, if ever, for while I can comprehend his strengths, he is not what I naturally find enjoyable. Of far more interest to me were the Danish composers at the beginning of the programme.

Eine's work on this part of the website is consistently excellent and today's was no exception. Andrew McGregor remains for me one of the best presenters on Radio 3 and should have a daytime slot, as incidentally should Susan Sharpe.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

I remembered that I also have a substantial selection (29 out of 44) in the 66 CD set of the accompanist, Michael Raucheisen, all recorded in the latter part of the war in Berlin. Think it's hard to get hold of these days, unless you know otherwise.

He certainly assembled a magnificent set of singers - some dozen of them in these songs alone. I won't bore you with the list, but outstanding among them are Peter Anders, Erna Berger, Emmi Leisner, Hans Hotter, Julius Patzak and the Finn, Aulikki Rautawaara. (She was the Countess in the legendary 1930s Marriage of Figaro conducted by Fritz Busch at Glyndebourne.)

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Just listened to the BAL in full - I only caught part of it on Saturday. What a great artist was Irmgard Seefried. She's the one for you, ferney!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

I remembered that I also have a substantial selection (29 out of 44) in the 66 CD set of the accompanist, Michael Raucheisen, all recorded in the latter part of the war in Berlin. Think it's hard to get hold of these days, unless you know otherwise.

He certainly assembled a magnificent set of singers - some dozen of them in these songs alone. I won't bore you with the list, but outstanding among them are Peter Anders, Erna Berger, Emmi Leisner, Hans Hotter, Julius Patzak and the Finn, Aulikki Rautawaara. (She was the Countess in the legendary 1930s Marriage of Figaro conducted by Fritz Busch at Glyndebourne.)
                        Thanks for that prompting. I've just played and greatly enjoyed the first 10 tracks of CD 56 of the Raucheisen set (all from the Spanish Songbook). The first three ("Dereinst, dereinst, Gedanken mein", "Tief im Herzen trag ich Pein", "Komm, o Tod, von Nacht umgeben") are beautifully done by Emmi Leisner. It is interesting that in other recordings I have they are done by men (F-D, Olaf Bär). I read Eric Sams' comments on those songs. He mentions how much Wolf loved Chopin, writing about "Tief im Herzen" that it has an "independent piano part like a Chopin mazurka (indeed it might well pass for one of the finest)".

It also struck me that Peter Anders sings "Wer tat deinem Füßlein weh?", otherwise usually done a woman. The female lover actually has most of the lines. The eager male lover politely starts the song by enquiring how she has hurt her foot and chips in at the end, helpfully describing himself as a "Wunderarzt" (a miracle doctor) who knows how to soothe her pain. I suppose it could a duet.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Just listened to the BAL in full - I only caught part of it on Saturday. What a great artist was Irmgard Seefried. She's the one for you, ferney!
                          I love Irmgard Seefried and note that I only have three Wolf songs sung by her. I'd better my plastic ready....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

What a great artist was Irmgard Seefried. She's the one for you, ferney!
                            You could well be right, veri: she features in many of my favourite opera recordings from the '50s & '60s.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I love Irmgard Seefried and note that I only have three Wolf songs sung by her. I'd better my plastic ready....
                              She and DF-D did the Italian Somgbook together. There's a live 1958 Salzburg recital with Erik Werba on Orfeo and a studio 'version' on DG from c.1959. I put version in quotes because it seems to be a rather artificial cutting-room creation: Seefried is once again accompanied by Werba but DF-D is with Demus: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Italian...sr=1-1-catcorr. But artificial or not it's still excellent (especially for Seefried IMHO as I'm no great fan of DF-D).
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• amateur51

Irmgard Seefried, Viktor Graef, Piano

Wolf: Der Gartner

Recorded 1948

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X