X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    And wasn't the Salonen version referred to several times as being with the Los Angeles Philharmonic
    rather than the Philharmonia ??

Plenty of interesting points today without any real authority I thought.

For me Nagano lacks the bracing freshness and atmosphere of the piece.

As Chandos and Sir Andrew seem to be forming quite a partnership I'd like to
    see/hear a new version from him in SACD format !
    Sir Andrew Davis gave the very first Turangalila I ever heard (Proms 1977 via R3) and again with the National Youth Orchestra (this time in the hall) a few years ago. The latter was terrific and exists in the Petrushka Archives somewhere.

I'm happy with Previn, Rattle, Chailly and Thierry Fischer as well as a corker of a performance from Sir Charles Groves on Clive Heath's site. Do try to hear the Groves if you can.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      And wasn't the Salonen version referred to several times as being with the Los Angeles Philharmonic
      rather than the Philharmonia ??

Plenty of interesting points today without any real authority I thought.

For me Nagano lacks the bracing freshness and atmosphere of the piece.

As Chandos and Sir Andrew seem to be forming quite a partnership I'd like to
      see/hear a new version from him in SACD format !
      I certainly agree that a version from Andrew Davis could be terrific.
      As for Salonen's CBS/Sony recording, my copy says Crossley/Murail/Philharmonia (not LAPO).

Comment

• Vile Consort
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Ermm ...

Was it me, or at about 20 mins into the review (discussing the Janowski recording just after the Previn excerpt) the Music illustration was from Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra?
        It was indeed - instantly recognisable, even in my half-awake state. At one time the BBC would have employed people who could tell the difference between Messiaen and Lutoslawski. O tempora! O mores!

Nice to hear the BBC Phil and Tortelier coming so highly commended. I have only ever heard Turangalila live on two occasions, and both were by those performers. The tumultuousness at the end of the last movement was unbelievable. I am not entirely convinced my slight hearing impairment doesn't result from it.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
          It was indeed - instantly recognisable, even in my half-awake state. At one time the BBC would have employed people who could tell the difference between Messiaen and Lutoslawski. O tempora! O mores!

Nice to hear the BBC Phil and Tortelier coming so highly commended. I have only ever heard Turangalila live on two occasions, and both were by those performers. The tumultuousness at the end of the last movement was unbelievable. I am not entirely convinced my slight hearing impairment doesn't result from it.
          In an earlier BaL survey, the Tortelier came top. However, unlike Alison, I concur with Thurlow's final choice. The lower register of the Ondes Martenot can be heard rather more clearly in this recording than in many others, and like the triangle in the final movement of Éclairs sur l'au-delà… I find the use of the Ondes to give subtle colouration to the strings more effective than having it dominate in many places in the score.

Re. Andrew Davis, I would welcome a whole Messiaen orchestral survey from him.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Bryn, totally concur with the Messiaen Orchestral Cycle fropm Sir Andrew Davis. Why has'nt he recorded this work yet?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I find the use of the Ondes to give subtle colouration to the strings more effective than having it dominate in many places in the score.
              Yes....but. Those early recordings in which we heard with awe this state-of-the-art electronic wonder (I'm not even sure we used the word 'electronic' in those days) in the hands of Yvonne Loriot must surely have been what Messaien intended and heard? It's as if the swoops and the wobbles are somehow 'bad taste' nowadays. Why?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I forgot to listen yesterday. But I am still perfectly happy with my Previn recording, with a thrilling contribution from Jeanne Loriod. Did the reviewer like it? What was the recommendation?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Did the reviewer like it?
                  I don't think so; his only comment on it was that the trumpet solo wasn't as well done as it was on Janowski's recording of the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra!*

What was the recommendation?
                  Kent Nagano's Music Minus One recording with the Berlin Phil.*

* = Apologies. As you didn't hear the broadcast, you missed the blooper where a track from the Lutoslawski was played instead of the relevant Turangalila excerpt.
                  And the BPO recording was singled out for the "better balancing" of the Ondes Martinot with the orchestra. I couldn't hear it at all! Unfair comment, perhaps: the disc is probably clearer than my radio, and Bryn also praises the recording.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I don't think so; his only comment on it was that the trumpet solo wasn't as well done as it was on Janowski's recording of the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra!*

Kent Nagano's Music Minus One recording with the Berlin Phil.*

* = Apologies. As you didn't hear the broadcast, you missed the blooper where a track from the Lutoslawski was played instead of the relevant Turangalila excerpt.
                    And the BPO recording was singled out for the "better balancing" of the Ondes Martinot with the orchestra. I couldn't hear it at all! Unfair comment, perhaps: the disc is probably clearer than my radio, and Bryn also praises the recording.
                    Thanks for the information. Wrong extract!! Did someone put it right immediately? Or, Classic FM-style, did no-one notice?
                    Surely the composer wanted the ondes martinot to swoop over the whole texture - not be hidden away. Otherwise why would he have used it in the orchestra?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Did someone put it right immediately? Or, Classic FM-style, did no-one notice?
                      I'll give you one guess!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I'll give you one guess!
                        Oh dear! Apology at the end of the programme?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I'd like to say "I refer the honourable gentleman to my former answer" as it's funnier, but I didn't hear the end of the programme. Nobody has mentioned an acknowledgement of (let alone an apology for) the mistake on this Thread, so ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

See my #43 above - I emailed the programme to suggest that listeners deserved a correction and Jeremy Thurlow an apology - nothing. Not even the usual automated response...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

See my #43 above - I emailed the programme to suggest that listeners deserved a correction and Jeremy Thurlow an apology - nothing. Not even the usual automated response...
                              Sorry. I hadn't read the whole thread. (There's an odd yellow thing in the sky outside, so I'm spending a lot of time investigating it.)

Sounds as if R3 is really becoming Classic FM2 now. We'll soon be getting the Pie Jesu from Fauré's Requiem, followed by an announcement that we have just been listening to "Pie Jesu with Robert Chilcott, John Carol Case and the Choir of King's College", just like Classic FM does.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

In which case, I refer Voddy to my former answer #55!

Comment

Working...
                                X