Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

My introduction to this symphony was Igor Markevitch's record from the mid-1960s - incendiary stuff, but it's never been on CD as far as I know. That''s probably still my favourite performance, though for a different approach I love the slightly manic excess of Bernstein and I still like Barbirolli's Pye recording. I know Blomstedt has his fervent admirers in this music but his "Inextinguishable" always feels a bit tame to my ears. Grøndahl is a more recent discovery for me, and despite the limited sound, I think it's a thriller.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

The Kuchar is one the great cycles, hidden treasure really, No. 4 is very good, buy with confidence! And the whole set is a sonic spectacular, better recorded than the later Blomstedt. Amazed at the lack of attention given to this Brilliant Box in print reviews. Read about it at MusicWeb.

Ole Schmidt is also excellent in No.4 and the whole cycle, now on Regis (ignore Penguin Guide coments about the SQ, it's fine).
      I can see what HD means about the Martinon but it comes to life rather better on the "RCA Classic Library" DSD remaster. And the Chicago Symphony were in their terrific prime in 1966, post-Reiner, before other conductors misused their virtuoso inheritance.

Schonwandt always seems to fall into the accurate but dull category, lacking drama though he's better in 2 and 3. The forthcoming Gilbert cycle should be available as a hi-res download at Da Capo, but I'm afraid my experience of Gilbert, including last week's NYPO concert, is again one of accurate dullness. I don't have especial hopes of his Nielsen; be only too pleased if he proves me wrong...

Definitely a symphony to be experienced live, with those duelling timpani! Best thrill I ever had with it was just last Spring, with Thomas Dausgaard conducting the RLPO - wow!
      Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      The Kuchar/Janacek Philharmonic Orchestra recordings (on Brilliant Classics) of the symphonies have received good reviews, though I have not managed to hear any of them. Are they no longer available? I have the Blomstedt recording with the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra and that sounds very good to me.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Very envious of JLW having heard Thomas Dausgaard and, from her comments on Alan Gilbert, rather wish that Da Capo was sticking to the Danish home team of Dausgaard/Danish NSO for their new SACD set rather than being seduced by the brash New Yorkers. And, despite Jack Lawson (the man who sold me my first serious hi-fi equipment a long long time ago and a Nielsen fanatic - see MusicWeb) and his enthusiasm for Kuchar, it doesn't greatly do it for me ....

The MP3 eClassical download of Grøndahl (which has presumably come from Naxos and which in turn may have come from a vinyl pressing, rather than the EMI tapes) sounds terrible (thin, strident, ancient) so, in the absence of the Mike Dutton CD, the Grøndahl isn't just hors concours but is now hors de combat. Sigh - there's no justice in the world.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

The only cycle I have heard - ie, the one I have, is the Blomstedt/San Francisco. Perfectly good, IMHO. Very 'immediate' sound, and dynamic playing throughout.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

I've only ever had NYPO/Bernstein.

Was it he and Barbirolli who pioneeered this symphony outside of Nordic/Scandinavian forces?

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              I've only ever had NYPO/Bernstein.

Was it he and Barbirolli who pioneeered this symphony outside of Nordic/Scandinavian forces?
              Barbirolli certainly was a strong advocate of this work though Alex Gibson, Jascha Horenstein, Jean Martinon, Gennadi Rhozdesvensky and Ole Schmidt must be given honourable mention too when Nielsen was merely regarded as a strange Scandinavian.

Comment

• Mahlerei

What about Saraste's cycle on Finlandia? It's pretty good; listening to his No. 4 as I type.

Edit: Can be had for as little as £1.51 s'h:

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Currently missing from my collection, so many thanks for the reminder, Mahlerei. I didn't manage £1.51 but £1.99 didn't seem too bad. I'll be very interested to hear Saraste in this work as he's a fine conductor

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    Currently missing from my collection, so many thanks for the reminder, Mahlerei. I didn't manage £1.51 but £1.99 didn't seem too bad. I'll be very interested to hear Saraste in this work as he's a fine conductor
                    Do let us know what you think of it.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Help please.

I have Nielsen sym 4 listed as a DVD. I'm pretty sure it was the one BBCMM offer that came as a DVD and not a CD. I may have filed it under another work with it and not cross referenced. It has disappeared.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        Help please.

I have Nielsen sym 4 listed as a DVD. I'm pretty sure it was the one BBCMM offer that came as a DVD and not a CD. I may have filed it under another work with it and not cross referenced. It has disappeared.
                        Soifyou have this recording. please tell me what is with it.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                          salymap,

Is this the disc you are looking for?
                          http://www.discogs.com/Nielson-BBC-N...elease/1641875

Thanks a lot Curalach, still can'tfind it though.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            Help please.

I think the one and only DVD on BBCMM was

BBC Music Magazine - Free DVD from July 2007.

Nielsen's Fourth Symphony, conducted by Osmo Vanska, and
                            Beethoven's Fourth Piano Concerto, played by Andreas Haefliger, both from BBC Proms appearances.

Have you checked under Beethoven, saly?

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Oh Chris, many thanks. I thought 2001 for the other one wasn't right and yes, it is a DVD. My sight for this sort of hunt is not good and I began to wonder if I'd given it away. To make it more complicated I inherited quite a lot of old BBCMM discs from a relative.

Good job I was better at cross reference years ago at work. saly xx

Comment

Working...
                              X