X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

It is a funny DVD because the picture (at any rate, on my screen) gets squeezed narrow which makes Mr Vanska look quite slim but makes most of the BBCSO and BBCSSO look anorexic. I remember the BBCMM got lots of complaints because many people automatically put the discs in their CD-players and they did not work. I am glad we have solved the problem....now where did I put my copy?

PS. You can see I worked in a library too. Looking for alternative filing places becomes second nature.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Who were the winners and riders?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        Who were the winners and riders?
        We don't know yet, BBM, it's on this coming Saturday (which is the 3rd not 4th March as per heading)
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Ah, so it is! Thank you Petrushka! Just coming round from a hefty weekend!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Have there been any other Nielsen symphonies featured in BaL?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Have there been any other Nielsen symphonies featured in BaL?
              EA: I've a hazy idea they've done 3 & 5, but don't ask me when, or who the winners were. Maybe SFSO/Blomstedt in 5??

Do I recall a BaL on the Violin Concerto?? If so, definitely a left-field choice.
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Re #2, looking at the archives, it appears that the 4th Symphony was reviewed on 14th October 2000 with the following recommendation:-

Nielsen: Symphony No.4, “The Inextinguishable” David Fanning

First Choice (historic): The Danish Radio Symphony DANACORD DACOCD 351-353 (3-CD)
                Orchestra, Thomas Jensen (conductor) (DISCOVERY RECORDS)
                (rec. live in 1952; c/w Symphonies Nos.1-3, 5 & 6 with
                conductors Erik Tuxen & Launy Grondahl)
                It will interesting to see whether there has been any change.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

I don't remember a Violin Concerto, it would make an excellent choice although my favourite performance (and a favourite of David Fanning IIRC) with Tibor Varga has never reappeared on CD

Mike

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Hurrah, excellent first choice (SFSO/ Blomstedt) - I don't have to lash out any more money!

Though some of Mr Fanning's reasons for disqualifying the new Colin Davis close to the finishing line - too heavy brass and percussion - rather encourage me to try it

To be just a bit picky with DF's presentation, I felt he was rather unhelpful in his final comments on the historic Jensen version from the 50s which won last time, as noted above. Throughout the review he was very complimentary about it, but bemoaned the under-recording of the timpani. In the last movement he included Jensen as one of the conductors who got over the excitement and drama well, yet he didn't demonstrate this with a clip. I couldn't help wondering how Jensen did this in the key bits if his timps were inaudible and thought we really needed to see (hear) whether we could live with the balance in such crucial passages as the timpani duels.
                    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 03-03-12, 13:46.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Though some of Mr Fanning's reasons for disqualifying the new Colin Davis close to the finishing line - too heavy brass and percussion - rather encourage me to try it
                      I totally agree, LMP

That's the sign of a good BaL for me - you hear things you've not heard before and make up your own mind, not dependent on whether or not it's the reviewer's favourite

Recently I've listened to and enjoyed the Grondahl on Spotify and I certainly will buy the Davis/LSO and perhaps the Rattle and Dudamel versions in due course (aka when they become ludicrously cheap ). I'll also get the recommended Blomstedt set. A potentially expensive morning then

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Did the BBCSO and Osmo Vanska on DVD get a mention?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          Did the BBCSO and Osmo Vanska on DVD get a mention?
                          Salymap: I presume you mean the BBC MM one? If so, no, presumably because it doesn't count as commercially available. Vanska's BBCSSO CD did pretty well, but IIRC got eliminated because DF felt the 'slow mov't' was too subdued.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Re #2, looking at the archives, it appears that the 4th Symphony was reviewed on 14th October 2000 with the following recommendation:-
                            It will interesting to see whether there has been any change.
                            ?
                            So, twelve years ago, this same reviewer recommended a version that today he found fault with, preferring a version that was available twelve years ago that he then (presumably) found fault with?!

Shall we all just hang around for another twelve years when he'll choose the Davis?
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Well done, Herbert and his Californians! I have all 6 Nielsen symphonies with these forces, and think they're all wonderfully played (even the tricky, enigmatic 6th).

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                ?
                                So, twelve years ago, this same reviewer recommended a version that today he found fault with, preferring a version that was available twelve years ago that he then (presumably) found fault with?!

Shall we all just hang around for another twelve years when he'll choose the Davis?
                                In a decision-making process where I think we all(*) agree there are no 'scientific' right answers, aren't critics allowed to change their minds???

(*)With the honourable exception of Sidney Grew of course, with his unequalled ability to rank all composers objectively - see the old BBCR3 board!

Comment

Working...
                                X