Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Am51, May I draw your attention to my post #19 re its availability.
    Triffic cloughie Many thanks

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post
      Haven't listened to the Second Symphony for a long time but, like others here, wouldn't want to be without either the LSO/Previn or Concertgebouw/Ashkenazy. I appear also to have the Philadelphia/Ormandy and RPO/Litton recordings as well as the BBCNOW/Tadaaki Otawa but couldn't say what these were like offhand.

The recording I'm most attached to for sentimental, nostalgic reasons is the DG of Kurt Sanderling and the Leningrad Philharmonic, issued in 1956 and reissued on DG Originals, a mono only recording but still very good, a dark-hued, lush and classy performance. I remember using it as the basis for a talk to a Sixth Form music class when I was a mere teenager.
      I haven't heard the CGO/Ashkenazy for a while and it was my introduction to the work on LP but although very beautifully played it always seemed like a very long symphony in this recording. The Previn I bought as a CD version and was thrilled by its energy and passion.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

I noticed this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmaninov-...7971966&sr=8-5

I imagine the Amazon operative who wrote the heading listens to CFM (or maybe to Breakfast) too often. Stravinsky: Symphony In Three Parts, anyone?

Comment

• reinerfan
          • Nov 2010

Like others I enjoy the Previn EMI version and quite like the Pappano, although the latter is rather spoiled for me by the typical EMI "up front", close miked, live recording which lacks atmosphere. This procedure also ruins, for me, many of the Rattle/BPO recordings, although I suppose they are produced this way to cut out any audience noise. I am also very fond of the RCA Ormandy and the DGG Sanderling CDs and, for the "cut" versions, I prefer the Sony Ormandy and the 1968 Svetlanov.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
            Like others I enjoy the Previn EMI version and quite like the Pappano, although the latter is rather spoiled for me by the typical EMI "up front", close miked, live recording which lacks atmosphere. This procedure also ruins, for me, many of the Rattle/BPO recordings, although I suppose they are produced this way to cut out any audience noise. I am also very fond of the RCA Ormandy and the DGG Sanderling CDs and, for the "cut" versions, I prefer the Sony Ormandy and the 1968 Svetlanov.
            Two of the best, I also like the Halle Loughran on CFP, Fischer, Weller (I was almost tempted to say German Bight) and Rozhdestvensky.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I missed this today. Presumably others can tell me of the outcome?

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

LSO / Previn

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                  LSO / Previn
                  I didn't listen to the programme but that comes as no surprise. Surely a contender for one of the truly great recordings of all time.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that. I'll catch up with podcast whe it's available.

Comment

• amateur51

Not an enormously illuminating BaL but quite satisfactory. I was delighted to make an acquaintance with the recording by Weller/LPO in the early 70s - I saw/heard Weller conducting it at the Royal Festival Hall in London around the mid-80s I think and it was a much better performance than I was expecting (it was very good); and hearing this morning's programme made me want to hear his recording - a part of what BaL is all about, I think

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I didn't listen to the programme but that comes as no surprise. Surely a contender for one of the truly great recordings of all time.
                        I'm not sure what echt Russians would make of the top choice.

Comment

• PJPJ
                          • Nov 2010

Those wanting Previn in the best possible sound may be interested in this new mastering for the Japanese market - SACD

Pricey.

Die SACD Sergej Rachmaninoff: Symphonie Nr.2 jetzt portofrei für 37,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Sergej Rachmaninoff gibt es im Shop.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            I'm not sure what echt Russians would make of the top choice.
                            Was that consideration part of William Mival's brief?

Comment

• Mahlerei

PJPJ

Listening to Previn/LSO in the 3rd and as good as the performance is it's typical of so many EMI transfers from this period - a razored treble and a general brightness that makes for hard listening. By comparison their RCA Nielsen 1 transferred from LP is wonderfully warm and involving.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Was that consideration part of William Mival's brief?
                                A rather enigmatic remark panjandrum ? Could you elaborate ?

I was pleased to hear the Rozhdestvensky get a good review- I am fond of the Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky records he made for Pickwick in the 1980s.
                                Last edited by Barbirollians; 04-02-12, 13:44. Reason: Mixed metaphor !

Comment

Working...
                                X